Neil Schon Signature Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Braciola, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

PRS doesn't seem to have any problems and they use a full floating trem. It may not lock, but you can whack away on it just as hard as you would a floyd rose.

2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Most factory Floyds did come with maple necks. However, most were really strat types which usually had maple bolt-on's anyway. I have no idea if mahogany can take the stress or not.

Here's a really poor pic of the Goldtop Schon at NAMM.

[​IMG]

3. Joe

Joe Senior Member

I think PRSs attract a different customer, and truth is, unless someone here is a PRS employee, we have no idea what problems they face warranty wise.

Jol Dantzig, the president of Hamer USA told me that even their three piece stressed neck system can not withstand Floyd abuse long and this is why all the Archtop Customs they made w/ Floyds had maple necks. Hamer has also made other guitars that normally have a mahogany neck and made the neck out of maple when a Floyd was part of the order. Many Les Pauls got routed in the day and died as a result of Floyd Rose abuse, or so I have been told.

Given Gibson's reluctance to fix anything under warranty, I suspect this could become a problem, but of course YMMV and good luck with all that.

4. Mark C

Mark C Member

I no longer play a PRS, mainly because I needed cash fast and had to sell my last one, but I used a 90 CU24 as my number one guitar for about 7 years and I tortured the whammy on that thing frequently, and honestly, the neck never moved except for climate changes. I had to adjust the truss rod one way in the winter and back again when it warmed up, about a quarter turn. Maybe it's more of a problem with a steeper headstock angle?

5. guitonit

guitonit Member

Joe-

Interesting train of thought. Neal has some other PRSi with Floyds, some that he has had for 10 years or more, and I have seen no problems what so ever with the necks. Ironically, I actually owned a Hamer (one made when they were still in Illinios) that had a mahogany neck and a Floyd, never had any problems with that one either.

I can tell everyone that we have had two of the Gibson prototypes that have been played to death for almost 2 years now with no ill effects. In my experience, if problems are going to occur, they will usually happen in the first 12 months.

Scott A.

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've worked on a LOT of PRS guitars with trems and never seen one with a "bad" neck due to whammy use/abuse. I have one customer that absolutely beats the ever-loving crap out of his '88 (not a typo) Custom - and the guy's got the most abrasive sweat to boot - and I don't think I've ever adjusted his truss rod more than a half-turn in either direction - and he's been bringing me the guitar for maintenance for almost 5 years now. In that same time, I've replaced his entire trem once and the saddles 3 times (though since I made him switch to GraphTech, no more rust!).

I don't see any reason why a Gibson coming out of the Custom Shop with a trem would be any different than a PRS. Really.

Like you said, YMMV and all that.

--chiba

7. shoe

shoe Member

Has anyone else had any first hand experience with the Neal Schon Les Paul? I'd LOVE to take one for a test drive but they seem to be impossible to find.

8. TBone

TBone Member

9. Don Ramsay

Don Ramsay Member

10. shoe

shoe Member

11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I spoke with someone who owns one, he says the guitar weighs a little bit, but it sounds amazing. And he's way into vintage guitars.

12. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

I'm looking to buy a black one. If anyone has one or sees one, please give me a shout. jayspence at sbcglobal dot net.

13. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I have a Vandenberg Custom Quilt that acts as my "LP with a Floyd." It's mahogany body / maple cap, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, etc., and a floyd on it. I've had it since '97, no problems with it at all. If they'd had this model of LP out back then, I woulda bought that instead.

I really like this model. THIS is the direction Henry needs to go -- start with the old ideas, but innovate on them. Oh, and drop the prices out of the stratosphere.

14. LTE

LTE Member

Loads of cool info. So when is the stoptail version due? Also, I really like the diamond inlay in the headstock. Did Neil or Gibson come up with it (or who did if neither)?

15. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

my friends dad owns one...it is really heavy...sounds okay though...it is also really expensive.

16. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

My 88 Cu 24 has never had one problem with my trem as far as negative impact on the neck itself, None whatsoever. And I've had it since it left the factory in May 1988.