Neil Young/Crazy Horse New Video Showman Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

Check out www.neilyoung.com. Right at the main page there is a 38 minute long video of newly recorded NY with Crazy Horse jams on "****in Up" and "Cortez the Killer." Cortez in particular is wicked cool. Of note during the video is the floating camera showing some of Young's amps, guitars, and other audio recording equipment. Definitely cool for gear hounds. Can't wait to hear the new album(s)!!!

2. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

Thanks for sharing man! So great. :rockin

3. doublee

doublee Member

good stuff.........

4. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Gotta love him! Thanks!

5. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

I would pay quite a lot to see NY and CH tour a really good album. Something dark and edgy, along the lines of Sleeps with Angels, versus the more country tinged material.

"Though they haven’t played together since 2004, Neil Young and Crazy Horse are currently recording a new album. According to a Neil Young fan site, Thrasher’s Wheat, the acclaimed rocker announced the project over the weekend during Park City, Utah’s Slamdance Film Festival, where he was out supporting the Jonathan Demme-directed film Journeys. Since then, both Rolling Stone and Crazy Horse drummer Ralph Molina (via Facebook) have confirmed the news.

In the same fan report, however, Young was said to have hinted at two Crazy Horse albums in development, one that’s finished and another currently in the works. There may be some truth to this. According to a Rolling Stone interview, which dates back to 2008, Young discussed a Crazy Horse LP recorded in 2000 that he eventually shelved. Titled Toast, the record, according to Young, was “really dark” and featured “everything that the best Crazy Horse albums have had.” So, essentially, Young could be releasing this album, while also working with the band again on a new one."

6. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Very cool, thanks for posting.

7. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

come on, Crazy Horse tour!

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

Dig it !!

Can never get enough Neil ,, thanks for that !

9. Unadan

Unadan Member

Yeah I haven't seen them since the "Life" tour in 1987. So I'm overdue.

10. aflynt

aflynt Member

I caught a show from the Arc/Weld tour back in '91 and am still in awe of the experience. I never understood why so many of my musician friends disliked him so much. Great tunes interspersed with amazing jams and the most wonderfully huge sound I've ever heard.

-Aaron

11. Jove

Jove Member

In regards to the Showman, I'm pretty sure that's the bass players rig.

Neil's gear starts at 30 mins.

J

12. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

It's either Billy Talbot's or Rick Rosas. My guess is Rick.

13. Unadan

Unadan Member

You're right. I noticed that after watching it for the second time. Love all those old Tweeds!

14. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I am sooo overdue to see Neil live. I never have. I have grown to love his natural tweed grind. I built a 5E3 and now working on a 5F2A, I just love that tweed distortion. The video is exciting, you get a good look at his whizzer and foot control. That Magnatone looks pretty sweet too.

This comes at a good time. This is something to get excited over. Vintage fender gear driven to points nearing meltdown,from the grandpa of grunge. It brings me hope, instead of all that crap going on over those 2 new Chinese built Fender tube amps. This, this my friends is the real deal! Just listen to that dirty tweed come in at 32:54!
    That's an interesting shack they are set up in. Kinda looks like a cottage home with 50 years of stuff left lying around. Complete with wood paneling. It's got character. A far cry from all the newest technology and furnishings I saw in show on the Nickleback studio once.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  15. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

That is several miles of cable and trucks full of mixers.

Worth a fortune in knobs alone.

That was great, you can tell he is a real gear head of the first order, a true appreciator of the analog depths
    and the master of the rich tone for miles!!!

16. pfflam

Just want to come back in here and reiterate that this sort of video really shows the MASTERy of tone -tout court!!!

The Maggie helps out in the mix; that residue of true vibe.

Any idea how the amps feed each other?
    and what is housed in that red switch bay . . . is that the 'pedal' board interface?

17. pfflam

BTW, it looks like that Showman is being used by the bass

18. CaptainJake

CaptainJake Member

I love neil young so much

19. ba614

ba614 Member

Thank you for posting that!

Really really enjoyed

20. GA20T

GA20T Member

From http://thrasherswheat.org/friends/amps.htm, an interview with Larry Cragg, N. Young's tech.

He activates the settings via foot switches on the red box that's always in front of him. Across the slanted part that's always closest to him are five buttons: Four for buttons control the volume on the Whizzer, and one for the reverb kill. Inside the box are all these relays and the actual effects devices. There are seven buttons on the top plateau of the box. The one on the left hand side is mute and tune: You step on that and no sound comes out of the amplifier. We have 5 Strobe-O-Tuners up there, one for each note in standard tuning. The next one is for a green, AC powered MXR analog delay that's mainly used in conjunction with the next button, an ancient Mutron octave divider. That's used for " Out of the Blue", when we really want to fatten up the octave divider. The next button is for a master loop that switches any of the top devices in and out, except the tube reverb. The next one is for a real strange unit, a large very old Boss flanger in a blue cast metal box. He hits that only when he wants to get totally crazy. The next one controls an Alesis Microverb that's in a strange setting that's 100% reverb. When he plays it its almost atonal and you can hardly tell what note it is. It gets the high frequency feedback squeal. Used in conjunction with other things, it gets some very bizarre sounds. The next button is for the main effect, the Echoplex, which remains on a lot. He'll leave the Echoplex on and hit the loop button on and of to activate other stuff. We use sizzling hot cable-not guitar cable, but hard RF stuff-and we don't lose anything in the loop. From there the signal goes into the Deluxe.

I have fans pumping a lot of air into the back of the Deluxe, since we rebiased the amp to use 6L6s. We have the speaker there, plus the extension speaker output, which has been significantly padded down with a volume knob. the signal then goes into Magnatone 280 stereo vibrato-the Lonnie Mack amp-with two 12s. Onstage, its inside the giant amplifier that's right behind Neils rig, along with a Baldwin Exterminator, a big tall amp made around 1971. Its got 2 15s, 2 12s and 2 8s, all in the same cabinet. Its transistorized and has a special sound that Neil likes. But basically he can't hear any of these amplifiers when he's standing onstage.