1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Neil Young, Old Black, and guitar tone/volume bypass mods

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jbd3, May 23, 2011.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I read recently that Larry Cragg put a switch in Neil's LP to bypass the tone & volume controls. As I understand it, this is equivalent to a Suhr "blower switch," or one of the positions on a 1-pickup Tele with a p'up selector. On Young's LP, does that bypass configuration employ both pickups? This is a mod I'm really curious about, curious to know who has tried it, and how they've set it up!

2. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

BCRGreg who's on various forums suggested the mod to Neil's tech so try to contact him if you want specifics

3. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

Don't take it as gospel, but I think that switch affects only the bridge pickup. It's an old Firebird pickup that is very hot and microphonic and is responsible for a large portion of Neil's signature sound.

4. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

Well Neil used to use gretschs which have that tone bypassed setting on the 3 way.

5. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

from what i read its neck position is just neck (no tone or volume pots), the bridge position is just bridge (no tone no volume pots) and the middle position is a "kill" switch. who needs a volume knob when you have a wizard?