Neil Young thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ZDPrice, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ZDPrice

ZDPrice Member

Been on a big singer/songwriter kick lately and inevitably found my way to Neil Young. Really loving his writing and acoustic playing style right now.

Somebody point me in the direction of his best tunes, or albums for that matter....

Thanks!

2. jpervin

jpervin Member

After The Gold Rush
    Harvest

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

ZD, I think you should start early and get acquainted chronologically, more or less.

Start with the first 2 Buffalo Springfield albums (Buffalo Springfield and Again) and then check out the first solo album, the one with The Loner on it.

That first solo album is dense with acoustic guitar; that will suit you real well.

That's actually enough right there to keep you busy for the rest of the year.

Neil's discography is gigantic. For your needs, all you need do is avoid Re Ac Tor and Trans, and the Rockabilly album and the Albums with The Blue Notes, and maybe Weld, and all the rest will suit the needs you have set forth to some extent or another.

If you wanna focus most exclusively on the acoustic guitar, just concentrate on the Solo albums and that'll get you the highest proportion of acoustic almost every time.

4. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

I'd say:
    After the Gold Rush
    Harvest
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Tonight's The Night
    Sleeps With Angels

To me, those are standouts for various reasons, but there's basically not a bad track on any of those albums. I'd say hit the Buffalo and CSNY stuff later on, after you've worked your way through those.

5. wodka

wodka Member

Rust never sleeps
    Zumba
    On the beach

Man just realized how many superb records he has. Brilliant.

6. wodka

wodka Member

Hah, I meant Zuma. Zumba is something else entirely

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Zuma
    Tonight's The Night
    On The Beach
    EKTIN
    Harvest
    American Stars and Bars (my fav)
    After the Goldrush
    Time Fades Away

8. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

I just reaquired Tonight's the Night and On the Beach on vinyl. Both are a little later in his career (but still almost 40 years ago!) and superb.

9. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Ragged Glory, On The Beach, Tonights the Night, Rust Never Sleeps, Broken Arrow, and one of my favorites: the Stills-Young Band Long May You Run

10. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

His album "Decade" is a cool little retrospective of his first 10 years as a recording artist. Worth finding for sure as most of the classic acoustic Neil is on there. He did a live unplugged album for MTV years ago that is also phenomenal. His most recent album "le Noise" was him solo electric with Daniel Lanois producing - I love it - but I'm not like most people. Living With War has some great songs too, but if you don't agree with his politics you won't like it.

11. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

An over looked, weird, pooped on album album of his you might want to check out for the hell of it is Trans...not typical Neil Young stuff, its filled with synths and vocoders. IIRC he made this album to try and find ways to better communicate with his son who has cerebal palsy, I guess the vocoders somehow helped with this-

From late 1980 to mid 1982, Young spent much of his waking hours carrying out a therapy program for his young son, Ben, who was born with cerebral palsy and unable to speak. Neil disclosed to almost no one at the time that he was doing so, or that the repetitive nature of the songs on both the previous album, Re-ac-tor, and this one related to the exercises he was performing with Ben. Work on Trans began in late 1981 as a continuation of Re-ac-tor, with the usual Crazy Horse lineup. But then Young started playing with two new machines he had acquired, a Synclavier and a Vocoder. Crazy Horse guitarist Poncho Sampedro recalled, "Next thing we knew, Neil stripped all our music off, overdubbed all this stuff, the vocoder, weird sequencing, and put the synth **** on it."[7]
    Young's direction was influenced by the electronic experiments of the German band Kraftwerk, but more importantly he felt that distorting his voice reflected his attempts to communicate with his son. "At that time he was simply trying to find a way to talk, to communicate with other people. That's what Trans is all about. And that's why, on that record, you know I'm saying something but you can't understand what it is. Well, that's exactly the same feeling I was getting from my son.

12. johntoste

johntoste Member

I've been a fan since Buffalo Springfield. Though I do feel he's had a few "lapses" (particularly late in his career), his output of quality is staggering.

If I could recommend one record as an intro, specially in the singer/songwriter genre, it's Live At Massey Hall.

13. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

Great suggestions here. Mine would be: "Decade" for the early output, "Harvest Moon" for the latter.

14. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Back in college around 179-80 My girlfriend (future wife...), her roommate, and I would "Neil Out" once in a while over a weekend:

We would start Friday night (stay up all night playing Backgammon, cards, partying...) and play every form of Neil Young (cassette/vinyl/8-track) the 3 of us had: Buffalo Springfield (so good!), solo Neil albums, CSNY and just keep playing till we ran out of music, then start over....Harvest, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, After The Goldrush, Time Fades Away- 4-Way Street- Neil is just one of the best!

15. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Weld, After The Gold Rush, Ragged Glory, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

16. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

CS&N call him the greatest songwriter ever.

17. KindaFuzzy

KindaFuzzy Member

I tend to lean towards his more electric stuff, Cinnamon girl, Southern man, heart of gold, and I know it's sacrilege, but I love wonderin'. Check out the album with Pearl Jam too, downtown is a pretty cool tune.

18. ZDPrice

ZDPrice Member

You guys are all awesome. Thanks a bunch

19. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

BTW, obscure song, but if you wanna hear Nils Lofgren's guitar at its best, you gotta check out "Speakin' Out" a bluesy/R&B Neil song on the scary good "Tonight's The Night" album- Nils on Strat, and Neil on piano...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyezjNR8Dlw

20. Zuma

Zuma Member

I am still blown away when I put Tonight's the Night probably my all time favorite Neil album

other favorites include Harvest, Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps, Ragged Glory, Decade, Live Rust, unplugged....lots of good stuff, some clunkers out there too..but all part of the fun.