Nel Cline bags on Robo Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MartinPiana, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

LA Times magazine -- online version has some photos of him goofing with the guitar
    http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/la-tm-guitar.02feb3,1,1736369.story

The meat of the review:

So is it amazing? “Hell, no,” says Cline after playing around with it for an hour. “I wouldn’t recommend it—never, not in a million years.” But what did he really think? “If you were on a gig and you’re trying to get a different tuning and you’re strumming, waiting for the lights to blink, you’d look like an idiot,” he says.

True, Cline didn’t study the 50-plus-page instruction manual, relying instead on the six-page excerpt provided by Gibson. Still, he found the instrument rather complicated for onstage performance. And what if you’re not a professional and you just want a really cool guitar? Perhaps. “It’s a toy,” Cline says. “A beautiful toy.”

2. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Isn't Niles getting a little old to be doing the pigeon-toed indie rocker pose?

3. halouis

halouis Member

Nels is awesome! he can play rings around 99% of players and doesn;t need any lame robo guitar

4. matte

matte Senior Member

consider me the other 1%.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I like Nels' playing. Guess he'll not be seeing any Gibson endorsements.

6. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Nels is smart enough and old enough that I'd pretty much listen to anything he says.
    Oh yeah, and I love his playing.

7. TheOneOff

TheOneOff Supporting Member

Wonder if Fender sent him a new Jaguar after seeing the article :eek:

8. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I tried a Robo guitar a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say that I didn't really like it operationally or tonally. I'm not sure about the concept and it's certainly not the way I'd go.

Having said that though, that article seems a little unfair. Nels is a guy with particular tastes in guitars and an eclectic playing style. I would think at least seeking the opinions of a few guys & preferably including someone who is a regular Gibson player would be a little more conclusive.

9. fractal

fractal Member

...and humility goes flying out the window...

10. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

The level of detail he includes kinda irks me. I think he should've touched up on exactly how the guitar plays and sounds in addition to the tuning system.

Plus, why is this going into the L.A. Times? I don't think very many people would really stop to read that article unless they play themselves, even then, it would seem better suited in a guitar magazine or something.

11. Realfi

Firstly there are tons of pros who do play Gibsons who aren't paid to do just in the same way that Nels isn't paid to play his Jags and Jazzmasters so no, paid endorsee is not what I'm talking about.

Look, don't get me wrong I'm a Nels fan and an even bigger Wilco fan, but, Nels tends not to play Gibson LP styles.

Not only that but for all of his embracing of various pedals and devices such as the Kaos pads etc to shape his sounds, Nels' guitars are all actually pretty traditional.

We all have our personal tastes. I will freely admit that I'm probably less likely to feel comfortable with a Gibson style guitar right off the bat...err not that anyone would be asking me to review anything!

I can also list a number of reasons why I don't think the concept is that great but then again I don't think I'm who Gibson is aiming the guitar at.

To me the article reads like a quick and savage edit.

12. Realfi

Having read a post of yours on another thread where you mention that you hate the Gibson corporation I can't really see the point in getting into a discourse with you about this.

This isn't really about Nels is it.

13. airjamie

airjamie Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

14. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Real quick:

Shut up and play your fu*@king guitar.

15. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

You might have a look at the review in this month's Guitar Player Magazine. I'm not sure they quite "bash" the Robo, but they hardly endorse it.

16. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Yeah, keep it goin' guys!

:munch

17. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

back off dudes. c'mon, we're not 12.

i hope...

18. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Yeah? Well he started it...

19. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

geez, that comment, and the inordinate amount of blue in your sig is like sad....

20. monstermike

monstermike Member

You realize that Gibson doesn't pay most of its endorsers, right? The deal is for very expensive guitars at a discount (or free, in the absolute top tier).