Nels Cline + Fred Frith = Awesome Strangeness

ZepFuzz05

It's awesome - I also love some of the interviews that were done surrounding the show as well. They're both profoundly deep, devoted, and curious musicians/thinkers who truly care about pushing the instrument and the nature of improvisation forward.

JamonGrande

Thanks so much for posting both videos! They're both big influences for me.

I understand the want to edit these types of performances down to distill moments, but (as a lot of important improvisers will note) it's the moments of transition between textures that are really interesting from a 'process' perspective. There were a couple in the video, but then also some pretty huge leaps because of the editing. I guess that's why it's really important to be there, rather than watching on YouTube (just thinking aloud).

Thanks again!
Joe

mabnotes

Supporting Member
I went to this show for both sets. It was really great to hear these 2 musicians together and it was in a great sounding venue as part of a wonderful 3-night festival.

I had never seen Fred play live before and took my chance to rectify that! It was so very cool AND informative to see HOW he performs all of those extended techniques that had been informing parts of my playing for years through his recordings... There were many moments where, actually, I heard a sound I had in my memory from his various recordings, looked up to see how he was doing it and it was completely different from how I had either imagined it OR how I had been doing it from my own imagination of what it was...

There was a point in the night where Nels had accidentally knocked his amp off the stand and it was sort of re-jiggered over the next 10 minutes or so. Fred continued on playing solo carrying the energy and vibe that was built up all on his own during this and it was absolutely mesmerizing to me... Total creative duo show.

Absolutely go see Fred Frith perform if he is anywhere near you.

chopsley

Gold Supporting Member
thanks for posting this, I'm still kicking myself for not making it to one of those shows

ZepFuzz05

Just watched this today. Really gives you a glimpse into the dedication and infatuation that Frith (and many players of his ilk) have toward music and sound:

Trending Topics