Nemesis or Timeline

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve Low, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Steve Low

Steve Low Member

Yo yo!!!
    I just sold my Helix.... Too much monkey around and not playing as I should.
    I what a delay to run with my Pt100se. At the moment I'm down to the nemesis or the timeline.
    I'm a rock player, I mostly go high gain, but I love clean ambient sounds....
    Any suggestions?

2. Waylander

Waylander Member

Can't say anything about the nemesis, but Timeline is the flagship, that does it all. Seems to be predestinated for your series/parallel loop in your 3 channel amp, but it needs a little bit of settling in.

3. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I am a rock player as well. Splawn/VHT/Fryette amps. I did not enjoy the TL for the time I had it. My Echolution 2 deluxe sounded better for the music I was playing.

Currently using the Nemesis and it slays for everything from Dokken to... well, Slayer.

4. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

5. dachshund

dachshund Member

Sold Timeline then bought another Timeline.

Don't do this to me again TGP.

MrMoose, Jeric and the tourist like this.
  6. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Nemesis all day

Nocd, JerEvil, xcc and 3 others like this.
  7. jwny72

jwny72 Member

If I didn't already have the TimeLine, which deserves it's amazing reputation, and I were on a budget, I'd seriously consider the Nemesis or the DD-500. They both seem like a great delay pedals that cover a lot, though not all of the ground that the TimeLine covers. The TimeLine is just freaking awesome though, and I think it's well worth the expense.

8. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I have had both and am currently running a Nemesis. It's awesome. The best all around delay with a billion options. The tape setting is killer. I haven't dove deep enough into the presets and such though.

I love the Timeline and would gladly own one again. I know and understand the sounds and controls, so it's not an issue with the back controls, but ultimately I always love running two delays and the Nemesis gets any sound I want and more in a small form factor, and for less coin. So I have the cash and real estate for 2 quality delays

JerEvil and SG1 like this.
  9. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

Does the Nemesis send midi clock? And how many presets?

10. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

128 total presets
    4 or 8 of them are accessed via simple top level control. Beyond 8 are recalled via midi PC.

Please clarify the question on sending midi clock out?

11. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Just sold my TL after 4 years with it. While I love the functionality of it, I never really really loved the sounds.

My nemesis came in the mail yesterday and tonight was my first time using it. Everything I tried around the dial sounded great. Even the helix, which shocked me because it seems so cheesy..but it was actually really musical.

Anyways, I like the sounds, so we'll see about the functionality of it in a live situation. I havent messed with saving settings but I have hooked up my phone to it.

Which reminds me, hey SourceAudio, am I missing it or can I not select the tap division from the app?

SG1 likes this.
  12. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

I own a Timeline, I agree with chrisross, love the functionality but I haven't really bonded with the sounds.

From what I have heard on youtube the Nemesis sounds how I wish the Timeline would sound.

The two things that hold me back from purchasing a Nemesis are:

1) The navigation and functionality, I definitely prefer the Timeline for ease of use and multiple presets
    2) Analog dry through - The Nemesis converts your guitar tone to digital on the way in and back to analog on the way out while the Timeline doesn't touch your dry signal leaving it analog. According to Source Audio and the many testimonies of users they seem to have done this so well it makes no substantial perceivable difference however I feel like I'd have to A/B it through my rig to be satisfied.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  13. slybird

slybird Member

I just looked up the nemesis. Sounds great, but the official video seemed to indicate some function were only available and edited via mobile app. Maybe if the box was under 150, but otherwise needing an app for full function is a big turn off.

14. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Nemesis. Strymon stuff doesn't work with my setup, doesn't sound very good going into the front of my AC30. Everything has a weird tinny sound to it. And the Nemesis is smaller. ;)

15. aman74

aman74 Member

Hope this isn't too much of a sideline but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Echolution vs the Nemesis. I have an Echolution, but also love the source audio stuff.

vbrans likes this.
  16. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

So your logic is "if it were cheaper that would be acceptable.". That's weird to me especially in age becoming increasingly more dependent on Apps etc.

A big functionality of the Eventide H9 is through the App - and it's much more expensive than the Nemesis.

NHBluesMan likes this.
  17. idma

idma Member

If you don't like tweaking all day just to get a sound you want, then don't go for any.

If your tight on budget, dd-500 or nemesis

if you want to spend to show off - timeline

18. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

Then I'd go for Nemesis and scroll through users presets inside the app. Real gems there!

19. Kluch

Kluch Member

I'd probably vote nemesis but I do wonder how close it's digital mode can get to the dd-500's clear crisp digital delays. I know this was sometimes a gripe with the timeline's digital mode.

20. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Timeline owner here, but also really jonesing for a Nemesis, it sounds so good, and the Source Audio guys are top folks.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a Nemesis soon to pair it with my AMT Bulava preamp (on PT Nano) to have as a backup for my main board, think it will be amazing, and give the Timeline some competition... for reference I used to have a TC Nova Delay on the Nano with the Bulava, and it simply wasn't anywhere near as inspiring as the Timeline.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

However I will say this on the Timeline to try and be objective:-

Buy if...
    + You want presets, and lots of em
    + You need lots of different flavours of delay (the best bit of the Timeline are the Trem, Filter, LoFi and Swell delays IMO, so many great sounds!)
    + You need / have midi control options
    + You use delay on pretty much every song
    + U need a quick and ready looper
    + U need tap

Walk on buy if...
    - You don't really need presets or don't have midi control - banking manually is not easy IMO
    - You only need a couple of flavours of delay, timeline is overkill
    - You are picky about really percussive clean digital delays - even the Digital delay on Timeline sounds 'warm' to me.

If I was getting a completely new delay, especially if it was for a board without a midi switcher/controller, I'd get the Nemesis 100%. It's an amazingly intuitive interface for tweakers, so can work great on a 'tap dancing' board, but still has some onboard presets and tap, it's got a great form factor.

It is also 'future-proofed' in that if you go MIDI it can support that if you ever need it.

I suppose one could argue that the Nemesis is ALSO overkill if you only need a few delays, I'd probably look at the Digitech Obscura as well if you wanted to save on pennies and only wanted a few different delays, but I guess the OP having had the Helix isn't worried about overkill ;) ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    ThinPaperWings likes this.