neo-dymium speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone making a decent one for guitar? I tried the jensen and it was ok but made my hears tired due to a midrange hump. The eminence is made as a woofer and has nothing above 3.5k.

Haven't spent much time with the celestion.

Any suggestions?

2. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

The Soloway Classic has a 10" Emi. I've heard that one live, and it sounds beautiful. I'd be shocked if that one didn't have anything above 3.5K -- it sure didn't sound like it.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm wanting to try some of these also. I think if I could find one with the tone I like they could go in all my amps and my back would thank me.

I have a Tweed Proluxe 30 watt 1x12 combo, a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic widebody 100 watt 1x12 combo, and a Balls M-18 18 watt 2x12 combo.

Greenback in the Tweed, 90 watt in the Boogie, and G12H30's in the 18 watter.

Anyone have suggestions?

I'm thinking in the Tweed and the Balls the new Celestion Vintage Neo, and maybe the Celestion Neo in the Boogie but its only rated 80 watts and the Boogie is 100. I use the Boogie set on 100 watts SS rectified for Cleans and 50 watts Tube rectified for Dirtys. Might have tio try the Jensen in the Boogie. The Jensen is rated 100 watts.

I really dont know these things may suck but if they dont it would make life easier when transporting gear. The 2x12 amp and the Boogie are back breakers. If I tried em and they sucked I'd just go back to what I have but one can dream about weight loss cant he?:D

4. jzucker

I'll bet he's having a custom speaker made for that. Apparently, it's not that hard to get a custom speaker from eminence if you're willing to experiment....

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

It's and absolutely stock Delta Light Jack.

6. jzucker

Oh. I guess it would be too dark for me. I have a couple of those speakers and I really miss not having anything above 3k. I used to have an Evans amp with one of the 12" versions of those speakers and it was the same deal. I guess I just like frequencies around 4.5k too much! When those are missing, the guitar just sounds dull to me. Maybe it's different with a tube amp driving it?

Thanks for the info.

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

The standard Celestion Neo Century will cause ear fatigue unless you have a very dark amp or tone controls that match with it better than my amps. No clue on Vintage Century.

I emailed Eminence, and they have no current plans to make a Neo mag guitar speaker.... That said, maybe some builder here could try to make a custom Eminence with Neo mag. The neodynium seems to add treble response, so start with a speaker that is already warm and but use a Neo mag. Maybe a Tonespotter, Governor, Texas Heat, Cannabis Rex + Neo mag would sound good.

Weber has listed future plans for Neo mag speaker options, but this was several years ago and I don't think he's worked on it.

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Tubes change the dynamic response, but they'll never change the capabilities of the speaker, so if the Evans too dark for you, then I suspect you're probably best off looking else where.

9. jzucker

That was my experience with the Jensen Neo. Reminded me a little of an EV12L but much sharper peaks.

Too bad. A couple years ago they were going to do one.

Remember the EV Force speakers? Those were neo and sounded great. It's obviously possible...

10. jzucker

Thanks Jim. When I had the Evans, Buffington and I spent hours going over the circuit and trying to brighten it up but in the end, we couldn't overcome the neo 12 which slopes very sharply downward at around 3 or 3.5k.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Allrighty Looking at the Frequency Curve Charts that Celestion and Jensen put up.

It appears to me that the Celestion G12 Century is similar in response to a Celestion Vintage 30 and the Celestion G12 Century Vintage is similar to a Celestion G12H 30. Maybe its me if someone wants to take a look and post what they see.

The Jensen appears to be somewhat different than the Celestions although similar to all guitar loud speakers.

Me thinks looking at this I would want to try the Celestion G12 Century Vintage in my Balls Amps 18 watter and the Jensen in my Lonestar and maybe the Century Vintage in my Tweed.

I'm all about letting go of the weight.

Dont know about these others Yall are talking about but I like em bright so maybe not for me.

12. rh

Wonder where all the warmth and fatness I heard out of that amp (at the LI Guitar Show) came from?

13. jzucker

I consider Warmth and fatness characteristics of low frequencies.

The Eminence Neo 10 speakers I have are in a closed back cab. Maybe it'd be worth taking the back off the cab and seeing if that makes a difference...

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

George Alessandro makes a Century "Blue", where he recones the century speaker with a Blue's parts.

quite good. has that sweet vocalness and shimmery high end, while cutting down on the shrilliness.

www.alessandro-products.com

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool I need to check into that! Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should wait till all the Tone Freaks have worked it out.

16. jzucker

hmmm - i didn't see that. Do you have a direct link?

17. rh

In contrast to ice-pick-in-the-ear. I dunno. Warmth and fatness without clarity = mud. There have to be some highs to get the clarity, but it sounds like "enough" highs for me is "not enough" for what you're looking for.

The Soloway Classic is open backed, so maybe it'd get a little closer to what you want if you popped the back off.

18. jzucker

Thanks Richard. I'll definitely give that a try. The cab is also ported so that could very well be the issue.

19. rh

I had a ported 1x10" closed-back cab for a while. Very bassy. Cool if it was an extension cab, but otherwise...not for me.

Good luck. It's hard not to like how light those speakers are.

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've spent a lot of time with neos. I have a well broken in early Cel Century that I used to like, but I prefer the Jensen neo myself. The 10" Eminence in the Soloway jazz amp is darker than many 12s. I was A/Bing mine with my Jensen P12N and it was like night and day. The Jensen neo was somewhere in between. If the Jensen Neo didn't work for you, Jack, none of the neos might either. I've never heard the Cel Cen Vintage and when they first came out, I tried to get one, unsuccessfully. Plus, I'm not going to pay over 100 bucks for a speaker anymore. Lots of more affordable choices. If the Emi 10" neo had more high end, it would be perfect. But it doesn't. Driving it with a very bright amp might compensate though. Haven't tried that.

jon