Neo EV Clone? Eminence Delta Lite II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

No - but I've got the Delta LFA 12" and the Delta 12A; and both are great guitar speakers for Jazz, Blues and Fusion. I use them in solid state amps - lots of clean headroom and very articulate with overdrive tones. Cone breakup is nearly non-exisitent. Projection and clarity is EV-like but without the harsh top end of EVM 12Ls. The Deltas weigh a bit though. The Delta Pro 12A, which is another Eminence product, is a suggested EV replacement. Here's a list with prices at US Speakers: http://www.usspeaker.com/12.htm

Looks like the Delta Lites have a similar frequency range to a Delta 12A. Apparently, (I heard it from someone in another thread) Raezer's Edge Cabs, which are voiced specifically for Jazz, are loaded with Deltas of some sort. See: http://www.raezers-edge.com/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. jzucker

The 12A is too bright for my tastes. They sound good in Rich Raezer's designs but pretty shrill sounding in an open back cab. I'm not familiar with the LFA. The Delta 12A has a spike in the upper mids which makes it sound a bit shrill in certain cabs. The Delta Lite II drops off pretty steeply at 4k so it might be a little dark sounding. The PA emi speakers are relatively inefficient compared to their guitar speakers.

4. jzucker

just looked up the LFA 12. It's freq resp is shown as [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]44Hz to 3kHz. Not really suitable for guitar unless you don't like high frequencies.
    [/FONT]

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah; the LFA rolls off steeply after 3K, at least on paper, but it's still plenty bright for my tastes - and I'm in my 30s and I have supposed to have lost some of my top-end hearing. Even so, I set my LFA-equipped amp's treble pretty low. The 12A is actually a tad bright for me but I compensate by rolling off even more tops on that particular amp. At least for me; the LFA is the perfect guitar speaker. It's seriously meaty. It just weighs a lot. But yeah looks like the Delta Lites fit somewhere between the LFA and the 12A or Pro 12A in terms of range.

I think the thing with roll off on the graph, as compared with the a speaker's real life frequency range, is that even though the response is not as strong after the projected roll-off there is still something happening in those upper frequencies. The speaker just isn't producing as much output in those ranges beyond its advertised frequency range. Obviously, it does die off completely somewhere below 10k.

6. jzucker

Thanks for the info. Might be worth a try with the Delta Lite II...

7. greiswig

greiswig Member

Hope this helps someone. Awhile ago I overlayed the published response curves from Celestion's G12-65 and the DeltaLite, and rescaled the eminence plot to correspond with Celestion's scale. G12-65 is in red.

As you can see, it sure doesn't look like it would do a great job as a guitar speaker unless you have a really bright amp.
    [​IMG]

I.P. Freeley likes this.
  8. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Somebody around here is using one of these and seems to think it's a great EV replacement.

9. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Do you guys think this might work well for use with a modeling setup?

Eleven Rack + power amp (most likely Rocktron Velocity 300) + 1x12 cab?

I was basically set on going for the Emi Delta Pro 12A or the EV12L (or EVM12L, a little too pricey for me) but this looks pretty cool (and cheaper, AND lighter).
    Thoughts?
    NOTE: I will NOT be using cab simulations with this stuff.

11. greiswig

greiswig Member

I guess I'd again refer people to the curves I put in a couple of posts above. Particularly for a modeling setup, where many people use powered PA speakers instead of a guitar cab, I'd be looking for a speaker with a flatter frequency response and more reach into the highs than what the DeltaLite seems to offer. I definitely think the EV speakers are flatter and extend considerably higher.

But apparently there is at least one person here who thinks it compares well to his EVM-12L. I see large differences (many db) between the curves of the DeltaLite and the G12-65, the latter of which isn't a flat speaker.

12. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

Just remember when you're looking at graphs for a 12" speaker, it starts to beam around 1350Hz or so.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Not exactly modeling, but I've used my 1x12 open back EV cab with my Tech 21 loaded board running through a 200 watt Genz Benz acoustic amp and it sounded great, definitely better than the speaker in the acoustic amp. My Tech 21's are the original versions so the speaker sims are always on - doesn't seem to be a problem, just requires a little EQ.

I look at response graphs as a starting point, but they can be misleading. How a speaker will sound in a given cabinet, after break-in, with a given amp, has too many variables. I'd like to see manufacturers re-test their speakers after break-in; could be really interesting.

14. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

15. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Put one into my oversized detuned 1x12 today. Played the EVM12L for awhile then swapped out the Deltalite.

For a brand new speaker, I'm impressed. Is it possible that this is a better speaker for an open back than the EV? The EV has always sounded great, but I think the Deltalite has more bottom end on tap in this kind of cab. Granted, many folks think the EV is best in a Thiele cab and I haven't tried mine in that app, but I prefer an open back character anyway.

Despite the frequency curves, there is more than enough top end with my Allen head. It's certainly a high headroom, full range sound. I think the weight penalty of the EV deadens the cab and the whole thing sounds more lively with the Deltalite. This could be very good speaker in a 1x12 combo I think.

Anyway, time as always will tell. But this one is off to a good start and I LOVE having my cab weighing 14# less! Might have to try the 10" version in my Clark.

16. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I sure wish Eminence would make a SRO clone speaker...Come to think of it. I would be happy if anyone would make an SRO clone or knockoff or...

Seriously- I mean how different is the 12L from the DeltaPro 12 other than that the current Eminence Speakers are better build quality?

ok:hide

17. Billion81

oops- I see how you read my quote. Sorry- poor sentence structure and all that.

The comparison of the 12l and the DP12 was to illustrate (though poorly) how seemingly easy it would be to reproduce the SRO..

Hopefully that clears it up-

now- About the Michigan- Is that supposed to be an SRO equivalent?

18. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

!! LOL.

Yes, the Weber Michigan is the Weber "take" on an EV SRO. They make an alnico version. It weighs 11 LBs or so,way less than a actual SRO, suggesting that their magnet is smaller than the SRO's actual magnet.

I have the Weber Michigan ceramic version (60 Oz ceramic magnet). It is not terribly efficient, although I am told that it gets louder as you break it in more. But, like I said, when cranked it comes to life. It has a thick tone (when it's cranked) ..unlike any other speaker I have heard. It might be great to have two Michigans with, say, a Twin reverb cause you might want the extra watts given the speakers relative lack of efficiency. It does have a 2 1/2" voice coil, like the EV's.

19. Billion81

Dude-

I'm a moron. I just went and looked at the Michigan- Looks like an SRO to me.

I'll totally shut up now.:horse

20. greiswig

greiswig Member

WGS Blackhawk is supposed to be very close.