Neo Jam - Yngwie Malmsteen fender stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulscape, Aug 17, 2008.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

Some improvisation over a neorock backing track using my USA Yngwie Malmsteen strat and JSX amp. Such an awesome guitar. I can't really play this sort of music very well and I dont know many exotic scales but its fun trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKsgKvbCtE

2. jimlp

jimlp Member

Great stuff. I had an Yngwie in Sonic Blue that I couldn't get along with, a strat is a players guitar and I am not that much of a player. I like mahogany shorter scale guitars better but I wish I had taken more time to get used to the Yngwie. The JSX sounds great, what kind of volume was that recorded at?

3. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

Nice playing and great feel. Not really quite Yngwie-esque, but the influence is there. Nailed the tone and most of the vibrato as well.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Cool playing. that stuff is fun to play, and those pickups sound great with high gain. Where'dya get the backing?

5. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Does the scalloped neck make the strings feel heavier or lighter than they actually are.

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

7. foomotoquasique

foomotoquasique Member

i may be mistaken but i thought i heard some George Lynch in that mix.. nice job

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

9. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks Jim - it took me a while to get used to the yngwie and setting its action right...and Ive owned a couple of scalloped guitars before that were easier to play around with. Once you tame it it plays very fluid.

The volume was on 1, really low, I just whacked a zoom H4 in front of the speaker and I also accidently bumped the treble EQ up to full while cleaning the room the day before so its a little bright. Cheers

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks man, your right Ive never really sat down and learnt any Yngwie but he has been an influence and there's the odd riff of his in there.
    Cheers

11. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks Buddastrat. The pickups are fairly low output so they need some serious amp gain or overdrive pedal to get the saturated sound but the lower output still retains that stratty twang and feel. I got the backer from the guitar idol website - they have a few cool backers there ranging from metal to jazz. Check it out

12. paulscape

paulscape Member

Hard to say...I have 009's on...they feel like 009's but the tension of the strings feels great...they feel lighter and easier to play because they move around but they also dig into your fingers as there's no fretboard to share the load...you can get tangled up so after a while I end up playing with a much lilghter touch for fast stuff and then try really dig out the bend notes.