• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Neo magnet guitar speaker users...lend me your expertise

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
I just recently picked up a Mesa Triple Crown 1x12 combo, and I’m really enjoying it, as it covers all my classic rock needs. BUT , asis to be expected of a Mesa combo, it’s quite hefty!

I’m toying with the idea of maybe putting in a Neo magnet speaker, but have no experience with these beyond one that came in my Samamp VAC 25, a Jensen Neo, and it was more of an American-voiced amp, while this Mesa TC is definitely in the juices-British realm, which I love!

My question is this: which of the current neo offerings on the market would be best suited for classic rock tones (think Thin Lizzy, Angus and Malcolm, Foreigner, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special, etc.).

Thanks!

theRagman

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't have a lot of experience, but the one neo speaker I've used, the Celestion neo creamback, sounds great and will do a great job at classic rock.

All my amps have the Celestion Century Vintage Neo 12"s in them. Lots of difference between an 10 1/2 lb. Vintage 30 and a 3.5 lb. Neo.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
The Celestion Century Vintage mentioned above uses the V30 cone, so it's in that family that Mesas love. The Neo Creamback uses the CB cone, so pick which one you lean towards.

The may be some samples of the Century Next 80 left as well, which is a more expected sound w. a Mesa.

But then the Cream may just be more in the Greenbackisth M/ H vein of things, which is probably more what you're after.

Then any neo frame of a certain VC diameter can of course be reconed to something else.

And personally there's something about most neos that tend to rub me the wrong way. They're a bit like... you know the difference between active pickups and passive ones, in that neo is typically cleaner yet leaner.

Aslan

I have two of the Celestion Neo Creambacks in a 2x12 cab with my Jim Kelley Head, makes for a great sounding lightweight cabinet.

slybird

Triple Crown combo weighs a not too heavy 56#. I neo speaker will only reduce the weight by 5 or 6 lbs. Unless you really don't like the current speaker I would stay pat.

Top Bottom