Neo Mini Vent vs. Strymon Lex

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bluesman79, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

Been searching for a Leslie pedal for a while. I used to have the H and K Rotosphere. Although I thought it sounded great, it was a little too noisy for me and had a big footprint on my board.

I've narrowed it down to a Mini Vent or Strymon...Both sound great but I'm finding it really hard to decide. Both are pretty expensive.

Anyone have experience with both? Do they work well with a dirty sound?

Thanks!:confused:

2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Strymon can't handle the dirt. Anything above mid-gain just became a whooshy indistinguishable mess; which is exactly why I sold that. Don't even attempt fuzz b/c that just makes it sound like a crappy tremolo.

I've not owned a Vent, but a friend of mine has one and claims it does not have that issue, but I'm sure many on here can chime in that have actual experiences with it.

The Strymon sounded great with the gain knob turned all the way down and using clean tones, but that was about it.

3. Bluesman79

Thanks for the insight. From reading past threads, that has come up quite a bit.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of rig you were going through?

4. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Run your dirt AFTER your Lex or Neo not before.....

5. Bluesman79

Yes my thoughts as well...but it's not the first time I've heard that about the lex.

6. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

If you liked the rotosphere, you'll like the neo way better than the lex. I've had them all and much prefer the Neo to the Lex. Lex sounds harsh. Neo is very convincing. I liked the mini vent so much I eventually upgraded to the vent II.

7. Bluesman79

Very interesting. Is there a difference running the pedal in mono or stereo? And does it work with a standard PP2? I know its 12v

8. PurpleJesus

Don't mind at all. I was using a Strat going into a Princeton Reverb set clean. Fuzzes were a Sunface BC109 and a Spaceman Sputnik. ODs were a Caveman and a Saturn V. Dirt was before most of the time, I tried it after, but that didn't sound any better to my ears, also, that's not how it's supposed to be run from everything I've ever heard/read. The last thing the cable hit for any real Leslie.....is the Leslie, no one ever put a dirt pedal after a real Leslie cabinet - they sent their dirty signal straight to the Leslie and it sounded righteous. The Strymon was devoid of that righteousness.

Edited to add: One good things was that I bought the Strymon used for $265 and re-sold the Strymon for $265. They definitely hold their value.

9. Bluesman79

Sounds like a sweet setup. You make a great point re dirt pedal positioning. You don't think the mini would hold value like the lex?

10. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

I've owned both and kept the Neo. When I had the Lex there was always something about it that bothered me. It sounded like a Leslie, but it wasn't a pleasant sound and I always turned it off after playing it for a few minutes. The Neo sounds beautiful and when I turn it on I don't want to turn it off. It's pricy, and I love that it has no knobs to fiddle with. I can count on it every time I step on it. By the way I use it after fuzz and to me it sounds awesome that way.

11. Bluesman79

So far I'm leaning Neo based on feedback/comments and some of the clips I've listened to.

Does anyone know if I need a special cord to run 12v on my PP2?

Thanks for all the replies so far

12. PurpleJesus

Oh, I wasn't saying that. It would seem like the Vent would actually hold value better than the Lex as it's more highly-regarded these days. I'm going to get one, but just haven't saved up the funds for it yet.

I want the full-sized Vent b/c it has the low/high mix knobs. That's the biggest drawback for me on the Lex. It won't let any unaffected signal thru to the amp, it's 100% wet when it's engaged. So, with the full-sized vent you can actually do a high/low mix to tailor how much (and even which end) of your clean guitar signal you want to go to the amp. I think that makes a huge difference b/c the other aspect of those great rotary tones we all love is the guitar players (like SRV) were using multiple amps and not just sending the signal thru a Leslie exclusively. They'd have 2-3 clean amps AND a Leslie so the Leslie tone wasn't overpowering. (Yes, I know SRV didn't use a Leslie, he used a Fender Vibrotone.....made by Leslie and re-branded). The "mix" controls on the Vent should allow you (us) to at least somewhat replicate that sound with one amp like most mere mortals use, but if you have a stereo rig then you have even more options. Options are fun.

13. dcbc

dcbc Member

You need to run it center tip positive (red plug cable from voodoo). Unfortunately, the Mini Vent apparently needs at least 200ma and the higher amp outputs (5 and 6) don't run at 12v. I tried to run mine at 12v with the red plug cable off (1--4) and the pedal didn't function.

/edit for future reference. The white tip reverse polarity plug at 2.1mm would be the one to try. May work off the high amperage 9v outlet 5 or 6. Haven't tried, but have the correct plug on order.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  14. Bluesman79

I guess that's a little bit of a pain in the rear, but worth it if it sounds as good as the reviews

15. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I run a mini vent off a pp2 for over a year no problems ever

16. Bluesman79

Without using the courtesy outlet?

17. dcbc

dcbc Member

Okay, so how are you running it? I cannot be counted on not to screw something like this up.

18. dcbc

dcbc Member

I found another post of LL1's on this question. He said he is running a white tip cable from another company (I assume this is tip positive) from outlet 6 on the PP2 switched up to 12v and that it works fine.

I'll have to try it, but my understanding is that the dip switch on outlet's 5 and 6 when in the up position change the amperage to 250, but are still running at 9v.

If I have this wrong, someone please correct me.

But if it works at 9v, that's good news!

/edit. Okay, white tip is 2.1mm and red is 2.5. Maybe I bought the wrong cord. Just bought a 2.1mm reverse polarity and a current doubler. Going to try to run it off 3 and 4 with the doubler. Ought to give me 200 milliamps at 12v.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  19. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

I owned them both at one point and when I ran them side by side I was able to get the Lex to sound just like the Mini Vent. I love the Mini Vent, but I was able to tweak the Lex just right for my sound.

The Mini Vent is an intense pedal. Sometimes you need to dial back that intensity. :)

If you're gonna go Neo then I'd go with the full size Ventilator.

20. PurpleJesus

I really agree with that last bit. If you don't get the full-sized version then you don't get the "mix" control which is crucial, imo.