Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jensen Tornado

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Eminence Deltalite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I've ended up with a small collection of vintage Ampegs. I have several tube configurations - one with 12AX7s, several with 6SL7s, most with 6V6 outputs. I currently have a Celestion Blue in one, and really like the sound of that. Which speaker of these three would you recommend for this application:
1. Celestion Neo Creamback
2. Jensen Tornado
3. Eminence Deltalite

Hoping LeonC will chime in. Thanks!

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Thought I'd bump this through one more time. I'm the most interested in the 3 options I listed, but open to other ideas. I guess the Celestion Vintage Century and Eminence Tonkerlite or Lil Texas are also contenders, but based on lots of threads I've looked at I'm guessing one of the 3 in the poll are best for me. I have read somewhere that the Tonker was designed to be similar to a Fane, and some really like those in Ampegs, so there is that. I'm leaning toward trying the Deltalite. I'm also considering trying a Neo Creamback in a Peavey Bandit to roll off some of the highs and thicken it up some as well as making it lighter. One other factor to consider is sensitivity - the Tornado is fairly insensitive, while the Eminence offerings are would give a volume boost.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not a fan of Neo speakers. I tried a Celestion Vintage in my '65 Reverberocket and couldn't take it out fast enough.

BlueRiff

The Deltalite is a full range PA speaker and very different than the other two in your list. You'll get a very neutral clean sound from it. It will not color your tone if that is what you want.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I finally ended up putting a Lil Texas (thanks JFGrn!) in one of my rebuilt Jets. I think it sounds fine in there. I haven't gigged with it yet, but so far my basement likes it.

zenas

I hate Celestions ! Exept in old Ampegs, I'm not sure why..
Never tried a neo anything though.
Are they really any lighter than a Blue or Gold? One of my 6v6 RRs has a G12H30 and that is heavy but the Blue Dog alnico in the other one's pretty light.

BlueRiff

I've owned both the Deltalite and the Tonkerlite. The Deltalite was the fastest response speaker I've ever played. Super tight speaker. The Tonkerlite was also very tight on the low end and all midrange. In both cases Inwent back to Ferrite magnet speakers. I could not get into the response if the neos.. too chiseled and abrupt for the sound I wanted. I found ceramics smoother and more musical on the low end.

Trending Topics