Neo speakers - warm and balanced?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soul1, Jul 16, 2008.

1. soul1

soul1 Member

I'm looking for some Neo 12" speakers that have a warm balanced tone, without any sterility or harshness/coldness, especially in the high end.

I tried the Celestion Century G12 and found them to be sterile and lacking in any warmth. They were very clear sounding and the bass was nicely boosted, but the high end and mid high-end was a bit too sharp and ice-picky for me. I was very suprised because they get great reviews, but it just didnt work out for me.

I've read that the Jensen Neo is not bad, but I've also read they can get a bit sterile as well.

2. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

i'm currently running an eminence tonklerlite in my kustom '36 coupe. sounds awesome and cuts weight - perfect.

3. D.G.

D.G. Member

I have a 'Lil Texas in my DRRI which I like. YMMV though. What amp/cab/guitar/fx are you using?

4. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

I've used Jensen Neos in a couple of different amps for about 2 years and really like them. If you have an amp with a character that you like and don't want to color, Neos are great - very balanced, responsive and efficient. I have one in a '53 Tweed Deluxe right now, it really lets the character of the amp come through and gives me more headroom that the stock P12R.

5. soul1

soul1 Member

I have two amps, a '65 Twin Reverb RI and a Tech 21 Trademark 60 2x12

various boss delays, proco rat, tremolo. for pedals.

6. D.G.

D.G. Member

Yeah, for the Twin I'd try out the Lil' Texas all right, though I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Jensen Neo's for my TRRI. My understanding of the Tech 21 is the speaker is already voiced to be transparent.

If you're looking to tame the high end, I've used an Emi Cannabis Rex with decent results. Of course, it's not a Neo speaker and weighs a bloody ton, so it may not be a good choice for that Twin! :D

A Rat's a hard pedal to get a warm sound out of if your clean tone is bright -- just a word to the wise...

7. soul1

soul1 Member

The older Tech 21s used to come with their own special design speakers, which apparently sounded really good. They stopped making those and the newer ones are being shipped with Celestion Seventy-80s, which are ok, but could be much better.

The tech 21's are ideal for a neo speaker, since they need a very neutral speaker, but the Celestion Centuries sounded very sterile with them. Same with the Twin Reverb

I'm looking for a speaker with clean headroom, lightweight yet balanced and warm sounding.

8. D.G.

D.G. Member

Keep in mind one man's "transparent" is another's "sterile".

9. soul1

soul1 Member

I definetly agree, I found the Centuries to be very transparent and clear sounding, which I liked... but what I found sterile about them was the high/mid-high end which I found sharp and a bit too over the top for me, and very hard to dial-out

10. albuht813

albuht813 Member

The Jensen Neo's are a fantastic speaker b/c their output is exactly what you put into them. There is hardly any color to their sound. Great speaker for the money and weight!

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I have two Jensen neo's in my Pro Reverb and think they sound great.No ice pick highs,great clear bass and smooth mids.They are more forward in the mids than most any other Jensen I've heard;even sounding a bit Celestion-ish.

12. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

Another vote for the Tonkerlite. I have one in my Stephenson 30watt and it sounds great.

13. slegros

slegros Member

One more here for the Jensen Neo. Fairly warm speaker that doesnt color the sound too much. I really like them.

14. belair

belair Member

Well, you gotta make that first post sooner or later, huh?

So here goes: does anyone have a first hand opinion of Jensen Neo in a recent DRRI?

Seems like it would be a good match.

Would a Tonkerlite add too much color?

Looking for big and clean here, and obviously, a weight savings.

15. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I have Jensen Neo's in my KJL 12/10 cab and I'd describe them as tonally uncolored...so I'm able to hear what my amp actually sounds like. However, I suppose that sometimes a tonally colored speaker could be a good thing if it compliments a particular amp in just the right way. No right or wrong...but what tickles your ears the best ;).

16. dead mike

dead mike Member

love the jenson neo

17. doc

doc Member

I have a Jensen Neo and really like it in its application, but for most Fender sounds I'd probably try a Lil Texas first.

18. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

You may want to try the Celestion G12 Century Vintage if you've only tried their original G12 Century. I like them quite a bit, and they should be warmer. I've never tried the original Century, but I seem to see quite a few people writing that they like the Vintage much better. I've tried a bunch of neos because of my bad back, and I've had mixed experiences. I like the Jensen Neo 12, too, and the Tonkerlite. Don't like the Jensen Neo 10 or the 'Lil Texas all that much. Also, with certain amps, none of the neos sound any good to me.

19. sabby

sabby Member

Anyone experienced with Jensen Neo 15?

:munch

20. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Ahhhhh-(choo)Men.

BUT...as you say...not all music production is about HI-FIdelity of music RE-production.

Yes?

Guitar lives in the mids and some of my favorite guitar tones are all about the mids...I love Celestion speakers for this reason (ceramic and alnico)...and my 58 year old Fender amp for this reason...for example...

AND check out...Frank Zappa, Toni Iomi Black Sabbath, Nuno Bettencourt Extreme, Michael freakin Schenker UFO (mothafukr), Buck Dharma Blue Oyster Cult, Stevie Salas, etc...

Anyway, Jenson Neos are....nice...but rawk is, well...not very.

Yes?

DS