1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nerf Office Wars

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jonathan, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Are these a thing where you work?

Past couple of years they have gotten extremely popular where I do. Gotta admit - it's a ton of fun and a nice break from the grind.

2. Minte

Minte *except for a few minor scratches* Gold Supporting Member

I see a few nerf footballs in peoples offices around here.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

In my old office it was. Most of us had guns stashed in our desks. At one time I had a nerf sword...that was fun. It was all instigated by one employee, and when he left the wars kinda tapered off.

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

so glad I don't work in an office

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Being a TGPer, I knew I had to represent. I have an Elite Alpha Trooper, which was a limited-time Target exclusive that is now only sold overseas, and only available at ridiculous prices by eBayers.

Had to go a step further though, so I bought a mod kit with some hardware to double the spring tension, also modified the airflow to remove restriction. I bought a pair of 18-rd clips and spaced / taped them together for quick magazine changes.

I now have the most powerful blaster in the office. TGP....I hope to make you proud. ;)

[​IMG]

I also have an Elite Rapidstrike which I sling as a secondary or hand off to my comrades:
    [​IMG]

A Hammershot that I pull out when the ammo runs out:
    [​IMG]

And I always keep a Jolt pocketed for the chance of capture or a last-ditch effort to take down that lone software developer who hid in the corner waiting for the action to cease:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Speaking of Nerf guns, one year my daughter worked up this plan for the school science fair where she would test the difference in flight from a nerf gun when we altered the voltage being delivered to the motor. Here's a pic of her during the testing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gun is a belt-fed tripod-mounted Nerf gun which I've altered to take power either from either the battery pack (seen removed and on the box) or from banana plugs that I mounted on the receiver. In this pic the gun is being powered by a bench DC power supply which is showing 13VDC. We cranked that baby up to all sorts of ridiculous voltages, and though the distance didn't change, the rate of fire because something to behold. It got so fast that the gun would feed a round before the previous one had cleared the chamber resulting in terrific jams. Where it normally fired about a round a second, we had it dumping the entire belt in under five.

We still have it. I think I might need to donate it to my nephew. I thought about seeing if I could retrofit an RC car battery so that it would be portable, but I never did.

Jason Calieri likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Wow! I'm surprised all that flimsy plastic could feed fast enough.

8. GAD

So was I, but we never broke a part and it continues to work to this day.

Here's a pic of one of the jams cause by excessive rate of fire.

[​IMG]

Here's the results of her testing. My previous assertion of one round per second was wrong. Looks like it ran a bit faster than that normally. Once we got past about 21VDC, there were no appreciable gains.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  9. GAD

Back to tpoic, my home office has Nerf wars all the time and if I was in that office I'd have this thing loaded and ready to go. Sadly, I live 3000 miles from the home office.