• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Neumann TLM 102 vs TLM 103 vs AKG C414...

Delayed Delay

I'm in between the Baritone and Tenor vocal range, and I want a good LDC that'll be flattering to my voice (I hate the way I sound recorded, even though many others have said I have a great voice)... and it also needs to be versatile enough to sound good mic'ing an acoustic guitar.

The 3 mics in my subject line (TLM 102, 103, AKG C414) are in my price range, and I've heard great things about all 3. It SEEMS like the C414 would be better suited as an acoustic guitar mic, whereas the 102 and 103 get slightly better reviews for vocals (I've already done some research).

This mic will be primarily used to record MY voice, so I really need it to work well with my mid-baritone/low-tenor range.

My interface is a FocusRite Saffire Pro 40 running into my Macbook Pro (16 GB ram, 2.4 ghz), and my preamp is a FMR Really Nice Preamp.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Flogger59

I've used both, they're great, but I like the Neumann better,the 414 had more sheen, but the 103 was just nicer. What I loved about it on acoustic is the amount of low end it could pick up from a distance, so you don't have to close mic to get a big sound.

mep

Silver Supporting Member
In addition to the mics that you have listed, try auditioning the Shure KM44a. It is a very quiet clean honest sounding mic. It also is versatile in a home studio because of the 3 different patterns. The only problem I see with it is that sometimes it is too honest sounding. I chose it over the other mics.

loudboy

You won't know until you try all three.

3 different mics, and the variations can be pretty shocking.

I was tracking a very good female singer - we tried a Soundelux E-47, and a 251, both very nice and expensive mics, but tonally very different. The E-47 was magic, the 251 really didn't sound good at all.

I'd probably go with the 414 for a good all-arounder, but either of the others may sound way better on your voice.

The only way to know if a mic is complimentary to your voice is to use it. If your local shop doesn't have a way for you to properly audition mics, book some time in a studio that has all the mics you're considering and audition them there in a real session.

tucsonsound

The 414 will be more versatile, especially on acoustic because the frequency response changes with pattern selection, but having both I tend to end up using the TLM103 on more Bari-tenor guys and the 414 on more women.

Delayed Delay

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...e/975687-neuman-tlm-102-neuman-tlm-103-a.html

The AKG is a great acoustic mic, but very breathy and sibilant for vocals. The Neumanns are probably best for you, as for the difference check the thread above.
Thanks for the info!!

My budget was very limited this time around, so I went ahead and went with an AKG C414 XLII that I found at a GREAT price. I'll hopefully be able to snag a TLM103 in the near future, pending how the C414 sounds with my voice. Either way, it won't hurt to add to my mic locker.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Thanks for the info!!

My budget was very limited this time around, so I went ahead and went with an AKG C414 XLII that I found at a GREAT price. I'll hopefully be able to snag a TLM103 in the near future, pending how the C414 sounds with my voice. Either way, it won't hurt to add to my mic locker.
The 414 is a very versatile and perfect for drum, overheads, piano, harp, some vocals, some horns, flute all kinds of high frequency instruments

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
MA200 is a good mic, but unlike the other two Mojaves I listed, and unlike the 414, it only has one response pattern, cardioid.

The other two and the 414 can be adjusted for multiple response patterns. Depends on your needs.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
In a thread about large diaphragm condensor mics, this is definitely from left field.
Well yes, it is a different type of mic than what we're discussing. But if we consider the need you're trying to fill, it may be an unconsidered solution. Many people find this mic to be quite versatile and complementary to their voice.

Flogger59

Well yes, it is a different type of mic than what we're discussing. But if we consider the need you're trying to fill, it may be an unconsidered solution. Many people find this mic to be quite versatile and complementary to their voice.
It is a great mic, but most preamps would need a Cloud Lifter or a gain boost of some kind, especially on acoustic guitar. I am a huge fan of dynamic mics in a lousy room, they tend to shut the room out.

Trending Topics