Neunaber Immerse MKII - Big Thumbs Up!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Braciola, Jul 28, 2019.

1. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I'm curious about the Neuron - demos sound pretty cool but reviews here on TGP are not all positive.
    Does it clean up nicely when you roll back the guitar on high gain settings?

2. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Member

It responds like any other drive with the volume knob so not sure why people aren't so into it. I really love it, and keep the pedal running always on with it acting like a comp/boost on clean (also as my amp when I DI) and have the preset switch as my gain channel. Responds to my picking, volume knob and pup changes just fine.

eclecticsynergy and Soothsayer like this.
  3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

IME most drives don't really clean up well for me using the volume on the guitar when they're running hot - that's why I asked. Have been using good tube amps running at fairly high volume for decades and I admit I'm spoiled. But that's become the standard by which I judge drive pedals.

Several of the Lovepedal drives feel pretty amplike in their cleanup; the Hi Volt is especially good. So are the Ethos TWE-1 and my Tubeworks pedal.

At low gain settings many pedals perform adequately in this respect but at higher gain most drive boxes just don't do it for me. And the demo vids tend to concentrate on getting the best sounds out of them and/or showing their versatility, while very few take a high gain sound and roll the guitar way back to show you how they react to that.

I still appreciate your comment though. Excellent response to nuances of picking & fingertouch while at high gain often goes hand in hand with good volume knob cleanup, so that's a point in the Neuron's favor. Thanks man.

EDIT: the fact that I really love both the Immerse and the Inspire should count as another point in the Neuron's favor. Both those pedals blew me away. Brian's got a way with digital, no question. And a very good set of ears.

4. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

my Immerse mk2 just died overnight, just two days after I finally finished redoing my pedalboard/ :( still turns on but no effected signal comes through. turn mix up to 100% or switch to wet, and no sound at all. had been plugging away just fine since November. have opened up a service ticket with Neunaber and am being reminded how good my Boss RV6, which the Neunaber replaced, sounds.

5. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

Acquired the Immerse MK II last month while searching for something a bit more simple and, economical compared to the Ventris. A powerhouse, the Ventris had fantastic sounding algorithms and served as the main/only reverb on my board for over a year. Towards the end of our time together, I just could not look at it without feeling like it was being underutilized; the true value of the pedal being lost in my limited use. While the Ventris had solid onboard controls (no complaints), to my taste, I did not enjoy having to hook up my PC to really go deep diving --> this being the only way (or a mobile platform) to have access to the granular settings; that said, also a capability offered only by more advanced pedals. On one hand, it's a great bonus/feature/tool and, on the other hand, I simply didn't have the motivation or energy to use it.

The Immerse MK II sounds fantastic; so very quick and easy to dial in. Count me impressed in how nice the mix is; the guitar's voice never gets washed over unless you really want it to; this, even when one dives into the cavernous depths. The Wet, Plate, Hall are the stars on the pedal. There is some common ground shared between them but each also has some unique voice and reaction characteristics. The plate feels like it has slight modulation that is added as you turn the decay up. While one can't adjust the pre-delay on the Hall setting, as mentioned before, the guitar never really gets lost and it's nice to have the control over modulation on this setting. The WET setting, on the more lush and lengthy decay times sounds like a mix of the plate and hall with modulation and just a sprinkle of shimmer. When you turn it way down (9pm on mix, 6pm on depth and pre-delay, and tone around 10pm) I could swear that this engine was based of a room algorithm (read: while not perfect, hard not to hear a great sounding room).

As mentioned in other threads, the Spring mode is good, not great. I find that the voice/eq characteristics of the simulated spring/reaction doesn't really change much based on the settings -- always a bit bright and ever present. "Hey guys, I'm here!". I found that this mode works well if you turn everything down to around 9pm or lower. Perhaps there is so much range to be found, that it is too easy to escapes the bounds of reality too quickly.

The Sustain mode is very interesting -- still trying to figure out how best it might be used --> experimenting with the simulation of sound pads.

The echo and +tune modes work as described, nothing too special here. That said, the inclusion of these give the Immerse a nice utility function, allowing the unit to serve a few different roles if being deployed on a smaller board. Need Chorus or Delay in a pinch, the Immerse has you covered with some nice mix controls of each.

The Shimmer mode is one of the more tasteful, thus useful, shimmers I have heard. Controls are very limited but it sounds great.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    joafink2 and Tom Gross like this.
  6. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

I love mine. I can use it for "normal" spring & hall uses, and then get wet or shimmery if I feel like it.
    It may sound dumb, but I really like that I can figure out what each knob does in whatever mode I'm in from just the graphics on the pedal.
    I hate scrolling through menus, and I can't memorize what the X knob does when it's set to Plate or whatever. This pedal is easy to use, and sounds awesome.

GusFowler likes this.
  7. glumlord

glumlord Member

I got mine about a month ago and I'm so happy that I finally ordered one. I a little ashamed to say that I still haven't had a chance to run it in stereo but even in mono it is one of the lushest and most beautiful sounding reverb's that I've played. It's also the easiest to dial in of the multi-mode verb's that I've tried. The modes and the various controls are very intuitive given it's versatility. Hard to find a bad sound here, yet I have found myself sticking to the Wet and Plate modes, mix around one o'clock and the depth set high.

looking forward to putting my stereo board back together and getting this through a couple amps for full immersion!

8. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

I tested the Polara and a couple other reverb pedals at GC and I was not impressed either. It had one sound — all pedals to my ear do — and that sound just did not do it for me.
    I opted for the Catalinbread Talisman and have been happy with it — until I got a stereo amp and now I want a digital reverb with a true stereo soundstage to fully implement the potential of this great amp. Twin Talismans was suggested above so I bought a second one but so far no cigar. The stereo image is not there, just dual mono.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

I’ve got 3 w/d/w rigs, one using a Polara, the others using an Immerse Mk1 and Immerse Mk2, and imho these pedals really shine in a stereo setup and lose a lot of the magic when run mono, ymmv.

10. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I’m thinking of picking up a second MkII solely for detune. Sounds pretty amazing after compressor before dirt, I prefer it to chorus.

11. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Do you mind commenting on the differences in the two?