Neunaber Immerse vs Strymon Bluesky

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hector Arcadius, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

Ok boys & girls,

who has tried them both? If side by side, even better. I do realise that there is a price difference among them, but they both seem to be targeted at the same market. And I am in this market right now.

So, shoot. Experiences, opinions, ideas. Which one does it / did it for you and why?

Thanks!

2. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I mean, it's no comparison. The Big Sky is in a way different league than the Immerse. IMO the Immerse is a pretty mediocre pedal. The reverbs sound VERY similar, the spring sound is a joke, the ability to get high mix sounds is suboptimal - it's just very limited pedal. It has a great form factor and a good price. But so does the TC HoF. IMO, the only thing that makes it better than the cheaper TC HoF is that it has a very nice shimmer, which HoF can't do. But HoF spring is WAY better. And the other reverbs honestly are probably as good - different people will like one vs the other but they are in the same ball park.

But Big Sky is the champ. I guess Eventide would be tied prolly. But if you're talking multi-reverb effects, those are the 2 champs.

If you want to save money and pedal board space and have a multi-effects reverb pedal, get the HoF.

If you want to save pedal board space, a little money, and need shimmer, get Immerse.

If you want the cadillac multi-reverb pedal, get the Big Sky or the H9.

3. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

I feel the exact opposite.

I have not tried the Big Sky pedal.... but I would definately say that the Immerse is the best Reverb currently out that I have heard. And I have gone through a number of them.

I just bought a Neunaber Immerse and I think it sounds outstanding. I have owned a Stereo Wet for a couple of years and have loved it but I think the Immerse is even better. For years I used a Lexicon LXP-1 unit for the Hall Reverb it had and the sound was excellent.

I owned several other Reverb pedals between the Lexicon and the Neunaber pedals.... including a Strymon Blue Sky.

I thought that the Strymon Blue Sky was a lovely pedal. But really I am not interested in all of the different options on the Blue Sky and in the end I was not as happy with the basic Reverb sound quality as I was with the previous Lexicon unit that I had used.

When I first got the Neunaber Wet pedal I was finally as happy with it as I had been with the Lexicon sound. And now I am even more pleased with the Immerse.

hippieboy, vltjd, Steve Hotra and 3 others like this.
  4. tbader

tbader Member

If the OP is really referring to the "BlueSky" (not the BigSky, like a couple posters thought), then it's more of a fair comparison.

Neunaber wanted to bring a collection of their algorithms to a simple, small, no-frills format, and that's exactly what the Immerse is. Gone are the EXP functions and ability to load new algorithms into the pedal. What you see is what you get.

I'm sure this really tickled the old school cats with the no-nonsense ease of use, and everything being available with a twist of the knob, but it seems to put a question mark over the more tech-oriented players' heads.

You know, Immerse might seem like a step backwards to some folks who enjoy the ideas behind the Expanse pedals.

Seriously, though, why stuff all those algorithms in there without having at least one preset available? I asked the same question when I watched product videos for the MXR Reverb (and pancake griddle), and RV-6. The ability to recall a preset, even if it is just by holding the footswitch for couple seconds, would make the smaller reverbs more usable to me.

I thought Neunaber's EXP functionality brought a clever versatility to the table with the ability for one to determine his/her own depth of involvement. Need one algorithm you'll set and forget? No problem, EXP is not necessary, and you have the convenience of having a smaller pedal. Need presets and the ability to load multiple algorithms? You can gain some neato functionality (and future expandibility) with EXP (and wave bye-bye to a little pedalboard space).

The BlueSky is getting a bit older, but it still sounds pretty good. The feature set and audio quality makes it an attractive solution to anyone looking for a versatile reverb. It's also not much wider than a Boss Compact enclosure with protruding right angle ends.

It covers a lot of ground, really. Spring, Room, and Plate sounds, and they really allow you to traverse outside the traditional confines of those sounds to come close to other sounds not explicitly on the pedal (long hall setting, for example).

They intended for the player to have a ton of control and options at hand. AFAIK, nothing else has the option to add shimmer to a spring.

It's got stereo I/O, a preset "Favorite" setting without an external switch, plenty of controls and sounds, and the ability to go from a classic subtle spring texture to yer far out spaceship-floating-aimlessly-through-the-atmosphere type soundscapes.

I know it ain't a TGP darlin' anymore, but some dudes (and dudettes? :eek:) make it work in their rig.

(Buy it, or an Expanse+EXP combo, and stop reading TGP for a couple weeks, I suppose.) :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Pax, dmutter, Steve Hotra and 3 others like this.
  5. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

I think the OP wants people to compare the Immerse with the Blue Sky, not the Big Sky.

I had the Blue Sky, and replaced it with a Flint alongside a v1 Slate. I then sold the Flint and I'm purely using the Neunaber reverbs. I haven't owned the Immerse, but on a recent Immerse thread Neunaber said the algorithms in the Immerse were the same as in their 'Expanse' pedals.

Sooooo.... it would be the Immerse for me. It's quite a bit cheaper, more effects, and lovely algorithms.

The Blue Sky is a very pristine, clean sounding pedal, and having access to a preset was certainly very helpful, but I just preferred the Wet reverb. But you may want to give the Flint a try - lovely reverbs, and a brilliant trem.

Windup 43, tbader and dickjonesify like this.
  6. minty901

minty901 Member

id choose the flint over the blue sky any day of the week.

and the big sky over those.

7. tbader

tbader Member

+1 on the Flint.

I was on the fence between getting the Flint and the BigSky for some time, but I went ahead and got the BigSky (wife-approval-rating rose substantially out of nowhere, so I pounced like a lion in the Serengeti).

Flint has some awesome features and sounds. It has a great harmonic tremolo, a dreamy 80's hall reverb (both machines are completely independent), Favorite or tap tempo, and Stereo I/O.

There isn't much control, however. While the modulation on the reverb side is very subtle, its rate and depth are fixed. BUT, it's really tasteful.

There also isn't any midi or spillover/morphing between settings. That was a dealbreaker for me. I am trying to build in a midi switcher to my rig for the future, but the wife-approval-rating is 0, at the moment. That's why I got the BigSky.

I don't really need a midi switcher for my TimeLine and BigSky, but it's nice knowing I'll have the option later on. The trails and global spillover between patches is very useful to me, as I cover a ton of ground as a lead guitarist.

I wish I could have the Flint's harmonic tremolo (without plopping down a ton of cash for a Mobius), but that's it. I can do the long hall sound just fine with the BigSky, though the algorithm is different on the Flint. Some guys on TGP find that to be a dealbreaker for the BigSky.

I just crank the mids and add light modulation to taste. The "Concert" sounds nice for the Flint sound.

xcc likes this.
  8. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

my bad - switched blue and big sky!

9. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

If I had to pick reverb favourites:

BigSky > Flint > BlueSky > Stereo Wet > Immerse.

The BigSky's cloud reverb alone is almost worth the high ticket price. But if I had to chose between what OP asks Id go BlueSky

10. thekeefus

thekeefus Supporting Member

I didn't have them at the same time....but I muuuuuuch prefer the Neunaber to the Bluesky. I never really liked the bluesky....I do love the Flint though.

dickjonesify likes this.
  11. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

This is the same for the Blue Sky - it would do trails, but there was no persist/spillover between the presets, which was awkward when playing live.

The Flint and the Neunaber Slate were a good combination though - gave me the best of both worlds, and trails when switching between each one. I sold my Flint as I wanted stereo tremolo (the Flint doesn't do panning Trem) but I do miss the reverbs. And I haven't got another Trem yet!

tbader likes this.
  12. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

I am reverting to verify that indeed is the Bluesky I am referring to, not the Bigsky. It goes to show that the Bigsky is on a different league with all the additional features. And also out of my price league and available pedalboard estate.

The Flint is out of the question, since:
    a) I want a more versatile reverb
    b) tremolo sounds are already well-covered by Strymon, courtesy of the Mobius.

So, it comes down to Immerse vs Bluesky.

Extremely interesting and very informative replies guys, many thanks. Keep'em coming!

13. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

interested...I'm considering the MXR 300 and the Digitech Polaris as well, have you considered those?

Silenceborn and AceBSpankin like this.
  14. joealba

joealba Supporting Member

Pete Thorn posted his review of the Immerse on May 1. It's a great demo, but I'm sticking with my blueSky.

The Immerse spring sounds odd and unnatural, but the detune sounds really great. Having a built-in delay is interesting, but I wouldn't find it that useful without switchable presets.

dickjonesify likes this.
  15. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

i think Neunaber sounds/feels better every time I try both.

The only thing I would miss on the Immerse, in a live situation, is at least one more preset. But if you can reach down and change some knobs, the Immerse has so many great sounds.

16. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

Apologies for the late reply, I completely missed that.

The Polara is basically the RV-7 algos (which I currently own), in a little smaller enclosure, plus the Halo, which, ok, sounds really nice. It would not be a bad move to switch to that one, but I think I'm looking for something more tweakable. Let's say, having the option to tweak the pre-delay, is something that I would like my next reverb to have.

As for the MXR... I don't know. It is more (substantially) more expensive than the Polara and it does not really seem to offer something more. I think that at this price range, MXR will have a hard time making it a big hit. At this price range, I would go for the Immerse hands down, I think...

A-Mags likes this.
  17. ZachSelindh

ZachSelindh Member

I'm sure the Immerse is great, but it seems like a step backwards from the flexibility that the Expanse pedals provide.

With a Stereo WET and EXP controller, you can have 4 completely different reverbs that all sound more detailed than most anything else. I've A/B'ed the Bigsky with the WET... The friend who loaned me the Bigsky immediately turned around and bought a Neunaber Slate.

Plus, with the Preset Morph function, you can use an expression pedal (or in my case, fixed expression values) to move between presets, giving you near-infinite variations.

I'd say the Immerse is related to the Expanse series in the same way the Bluesky is related to the Bigsky.

Seriously, I can't endorse the Stereo WET enough.

shack, Jeric and dickjonesify like this.
  18. blobe

blobe Member

to my eyes, immerse is a mistake.
    exp+ wet was the way to go, immerse is.. i dont know, a marketing mistake.
    after having owned bluesky big sky wet reverb(s) i'm back to a RV6 + liquid flux ambiance (which is the price of the big sky approx)
    tbh the liquid flux isn't *that* better than a rv6 so might end with (previously planned) rv6 + meteore.
    Immerse, is "meh". bluesky is strymon, either you like strymon sound, either you've learned to hate it.

JPIndustrie and ZachSelindh like this.
  19. shack

shack Member

Got the Slate didnt like the Ola.

20. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

I love the neunaber plate reverb setting loaded into my stereo shimmer as the last pedal before the amp. I also have an EXP that I use to bring in the shimmer or chorus sometimes.

Even straight into the input of my Vox Ac15cc, the plate reverb has made me a believer. It's more than just a 'trail' it's an ambiance/space/depth as you're playing that I find works best for rock guitar tone. I have it always on for subtlety. I use my Eventide H9 for the more wackier reverb settings (reverse, lots of pre swell, 100 % wet sounds etc)

ZachSelindh likes this.