Neunaber Slate/Shimmer/Wet + EXP, works well?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JPIndustrie, Apr 27, 2016.

1. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

Redoing my pedalboard for 2016 and I'm looking for a stereo out, buffered out as the final pedal out to the amp... thought I'd look into some reverbs and the Neunaber stuff sounds really good.

Not a lot of places to try them out so I ask users who have one of the pedals + EXP, how is it? Does it work well live, do the multiple algorithms work well, seamlessly change, etc ...

I'm looking into a set instead of strymon/eventide multi effect etc for board space and a little more simplicity, is it worth it to just get both at once ?

Thanks

2. minty901

minty901 Member

Came here to suggest saving a little more money getting a Big Sky instead but it seems you've already addressed the space thing.

Either way, the Big Sky isn't as big as it looks in pictures, and what with the space of the WET and the ExP... I still think you should consider the Big Sky. I know I regret getting my WET + ExP; I should have got a Big Sky instead for just a little more money. You're already spending that much so obviously you want a premium product. The WET sounds great but it's nowhere near, I mean seriously nowhere near the versatility of the Big Sky. Most of the algorithms on the Neunaber software are, in my humble opinion, pretty much useless. All of the reverbs except for the stock WET have low output volume and the depth knob works in a funky way when you turn it up (it changes how the reverb sounds and makes it fade into the background). So I'm restricted to using the stock WET, which doesn't have adjustable pre-delay so you better be happy with that one sound. You can go 100% WET but then you lose the ability to get a loud reverb without having to deal with a drastically compromised dry volume. The stock WET sounds great but to get the best sound you really have to adjust the hi-pass and low-pass filters separately to your taste, which you can do on the infinity hold w/ reverb algorithm... but then you can't adjust them on the fly. It isn't like the TC toneprints where you can set the function of the pots, unfortunately. The scatter echo sounds beautiful but if you want a straight down the middle echo sound that doesnt ping pong, you have to deal with the signal being summed to mono before being fed into the echo algiorithm, so any stereo width you have going into it is lost in the repeats. Similarly with the tremolo, the only way to get a non-panning tremolo is to sum your whole signal to mono so forget using tremolo after stereo effects. The chorus sounds are completely forgettable in my opinion, and you can't on-the-fly adjust the balance between reverb and delay in the verb+echo mode.

The stock WET sounds absolutely beautiful, especially when you tune it in how you want it... but you still pretty much only get one sound out of this thing. Even with the ExP... the variety of usable sounds is fairly limited. And the plate/hall/spring/wet algorithms.... they all just sound the same to me really. But maybe that's just my ears.

Big Sky is more complicated but when you tune it in how you want it, you wont have to worry about it after that. But you get to fine-tune the reverbs exactly how you want with high-low-mid- EQ, volume boosts, reverse reverbs, predelay, non-traditional double pitch shifting, hundreds of presets, etc etc etc. For just £100 more (I know that's a lot but youre already spending £300 on a WET + ExP), the Big Sky is a huge, and I mean HUGE, step up from a WET + ExP, in my opinion.

JPIndustrie likes this.
  3. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

Interesting, thanks for the feedback...

Do you find yourself using all the patches and settings in the Strymon ?

4. minty901

minty901 Member

Disclaimer: I don't have a Big Sky yet. But I've been to a shop and played one about 4 or 5 times, for quite extended periods (the shop owners must hate me). I know I would struggle to get away from the Cloud setting but only because it's so damn lovely. But I was able to get some amazing sounds from the shimmer that sounded really cinematic and really nothing like you've ever heard from a shimmer before. I will be buying one very soon (this week or next probably).

5. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

I actually just got my EXP pedal to pair with my slate, it's nice to be able to recall anything (not just reverb) at the push of a button. If you want chorus, you have chorus, if you want delay, you got delay, etc. It really is a sweet pedal and opens up a lot of versatility.

I realized that I don't need a ton of presets and bells and whistles, which is why the Wet works for me. Just so simple but it works and then some.

shack and JPIndustrie like this.
  6. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

This is what I'm afraid of, lord knows I've sided with the 'big behemoth that does everything' before only to take it off my board in a year cursing at myself for paying new MSRP prices when boutique A or B does the one sound i do use so much better.

7. deadlands

deadlands Member

Yes, the Big Sky has a ton of sounds and features, but I could never get it to blend with my dry signal like the Wet does. The Wet has some magic that just works very well with guitar. Whereas the Big Sky seems to apply the reverb on top of the signal.

And contrary to what @minty901 posted, I think there are audible differences in the other algorithms that can work better in certain situations. For instance, I use the Plate for shallower and shorter verbs. I use the Grand Hall for a huge wall of verb and the stock Wet for regular hall style verb. You can also change how the mix knob behaves so you don't attenuate the dry signal.

shack, gibs5000 and JPIndustrie like this.
  8. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

Thanks for your feedback! I am looking for an 'abstract' or 'way out there' type reverb and how synth-y the guitar gets with 100% wet in the videos is really the main draw I am going after. Not really looking for spring, vintage or 'traditional' type reverb sounds. Even without 100% wet would you describe the big sky as delivering more on those sounds or is Neunaber the standard in this regard?

9. minty901

minty901 Member

If you don't attenuate the dry signal then you can't go to 100% wet. But yes, I don't attenuate the dry signal -- it's a compromise though. Again, this is just my experience but I have every expectation that people will disagree with me which is fine. I encourage OP to hear out all the opinions.

JPIndustrie likes this.
  10. minty901

minty901 Member

Abstract / out there -- Big Sky for sure. It has reverse and other different envelope shapes, weird pitch shifting etc. Seriously a cool experience messing with the lower octave reverbs and a-tonal pitch shifts for really atmospheric sounds.

Edit: Or the Eventide Space is probably really good for out there sounds too. I haven't tried it though.

The Neunaber excels at lush, bright and heavenly reverb... but that's as far as it goes as far as "abstract". It does have a shimmer though which is nice.

11. minty901

minty901 Member

Just to clarify, the Big Sky does do 100% wet. Not sure if I'm interpreting you correctly but wanted to make sure that's clear.

12. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

I am probably assuming incorrectly. When you mention attenuating the signal, is there some sort of drawback to enabling 100% wet ?

13. minty901

minty901 Member

on the neunaber, if you are in 100% wet mode then the dry signal gradually gets quieter as the reverb gets louder, so that the dry can disappear when you get to full wet. this means that during much of the taper of the mix pot, your dry signal is getting quieter. i like to be able to have full dry signal and add reverb on top of that, so i dont enable 100% wet mode. the big sky works similarly i believe but there is an option to boost your signal to compensate i think. not entirely sure of the intricacies though.

14. deadlands

deadlands Member

Exactly.

15. deadlands

deadlands Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "abstract" in regards to reverb. But I do know what Synth-y means. I'd say something like the Big Sky or Space go further in that direction than the Neunaber. The Neunaber does have a synth-y quality to it that I love, but I don't think it does anything weird. Just good solid ethereal verbs that can be very light and short to huge and almost infinite.

JPIndustrie likes this.
  16. deadlands

deadlands Member

This is completely normal behavior for a reverb mix knob. You are mixing signal, so once you go past 50%, something has to attenuate. If you were running reverb as a side-chain effect on a mixing board, it would work the same. In order to put reverb higher in the mix, you have to bring the dry signal down.

17. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

Thanks, just clarifying that my interests are more in the non-traditional, experimental reverb sounds rather than a straight up vintage style spring reverb or something. I see how the big sky and Space provide in this realm but infinite and ethereal is definitely right up my alley too. Really, what started all this was falling in love with the synth-y/weird/landscapy tone made when the mix knob is all the way up in the videos...

I guess I am trying to find out if it is worth the extra $$$ (may not go with an EXP at first) and taking apart/re-thinking my pedalboard as I really only have immediate room for a Neunaber Seraphim-sized pedal with seraphim-levels of DC requirements too. :)

18. minty901

minty901 Member

i like ones where the dry stays the same then just disappears right at the end. or ideally where theres a switch to turn off the dry, like the immerse

19. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

I have the SLATE + EXP. I have WET, Tape Delay, Echelon Delay, and HOLD algos loaded. For each algo, 2 presets. All four algos and presets programmed by software. No real "Banking". Product (software) is continuously developing. I think it's a fantastic interface and good price for what you get. Generally I hate reverb except on some old-timey stuff I play. I rarely use reverb live, it turns to mush mostly. I hear great reverbs on records sometimes, then I see the band LIVE and the reverb is removed, or only occuring naturally in the hall.

20. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I have a Slate +EXP and I really dig it. The Wet reverb just delivers what I want to hear. I've never really bonded with the Strymon reverbs. I love their delays, but the Wet is my go-to for reverb.

shack likes this.