Neunaber Wet Stereo or Mono?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sparkfriction, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

Hi there,

i am posting not that much here on TGP but i am lurking all the time and i know you guys got a softspot for the Neunaber Wet.

first of all, put the options of USB and effectchanging aside please.

What i need is your input about Stereo/Mono options soundwise.

thanks

2. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

From a purely sonic perspective the mono and stereo versions sound identical when played in a mono setup as they're loaded with the same stock algorithm.

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

With all the amazing features you get with the stereo version it would be silly not to buy the stereo.. :)

And what smitty says.

4. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Yeah, stereo has so many options thanks to Brian's brilliant Pedal Customizer program.

I'm using mine (V1, btw) in mono, so I have it programmed with the "split update" feature. It's a Chroma Chorus on output 2, (which I use in my acoustic show), and an Echelon on output one with his tap tempo button to control repeat time.

Really love his work! :)

5. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

maybe it is silly... but i dont care at this point. - i like the idea of loading different effects and/or making changes to the effect like virtual trimpot etc. How i said, i want to know more about the sound between stereo and mono use.

but thanks to smitty for the insides :)

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Then buy the stereo, and live happily ever after. :)

7. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

yes of course! if i order a new one i will go stereo. :)

8. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

I have the mono in V.2 and I really like it. It is very easy to dial in a good reverb level.

9. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

If you use it in Stereo, will it detune on one side and "up tune" on the other?

10. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

honeslty, i have in my current setup no need for a stereo reverb. Also, offers on used monos are more around and better for my budget.

11. deadlands

deadlands Member

There are some other features of the Stereo V.2 pedals that the mono pedals don't have. One is changing the behavior of the mix knob. There are 4 options for how the mix knob work which effects how the dry signal is treated with the mix knob. This does can change how the pedal sounds and various mix levels.

Another feature is changing the behavior of the footswitch. There are two tap-tempo settings and you can turn the secondary function on and off.

12. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

If you're not going to use the USB functionalities, or play the Wet in Stereo, you might as well go for the Mono for 189$ or even cheaper used if you can find one.

I was in a similar position when I bought my Wet. I didn't think I'd play stereo or use any of the USB stuff, but I opted for the Stereo version and LOVE it. Sounds amazing in stereo and the pedal software is quite cool.

They are sonically identical in mono.

13. treehouse1441

treehouse1441 Member

Get the stereo.

Check out these clips specifically demonstrating the differences in the stereo wet and el cap in stereo and mono.

https://youtu.be/O50lIfGhoz0

14. rochell59

rochell59 Member

One of the reasons why I sold my Stereo was the inability to do full wet reverb WITHOUT it removing the ability to go back to a wet/dry mix. Maybe it's been fixed now?

I love the mix knob on the Flint and I couldn't find way to mimic it on the Stereo Wet. I'm guessing this is much easier on the Mono version, which I'd like to pick up again in the future.

15. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You can do 100% wet with the v2's, so it's taken care of :)

And more:

"Dry Signal Mix [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]is how the Mix knob affects the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]dry [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]signal. How the Mix knob changes the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]wet [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]signal is part of the effect, and generally, the level increases as you turn the knob up. However, there are different strategies for how the dry signal is affected, and some work better than others depending on the effect: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri]• [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Steep End Drop[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]—The dry signal is constant (not attenuated) until 50% Mix then gradually lowers until about 3 o'clock, where the dry signal starts to drop off more steeply. At 100% Mix, the dry signal is muted. For reverb or echo, this results in a perceptually constant level along with the ability to roll over to 100% wet signal at the end of the Mix range. [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Unity Power Sum[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]—The dry signal level is lowered gradually such that—prepare for nerd language—it is -3 dB at 50% Mix, which results in a constant power sum with uncorrelated wet signals and an even mix at 12 o'clock. Works well for chorus. [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Unity Dry Signal[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]—The dry signal remains constant throughout the Mix knob's range. This is exactly like the Version 1 Stereo Pedals and works well for most effects if you don't want [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]100% wet signal. The total signal level will increase by up to 3 dB with the Mix knob at high settings. "[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

16. rochell59

rochell59 Member

COOL!!! I need to keep and eye out for a Stereo then!

17. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I have a version of the mono that I really like because it has the rechargable lithium battery option - As I mostly use this pedal on top of my tweed deluxe -its good to have a battery and I can easily recharge it. I previously had a v2 stereo, and honestly don't miss all the features as I use either just a touch of it, or a deep cave.