1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Neunaber WET vs. VanAmps Solemate/Reverbmate

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tamtam10, May 15, 2011.

1. tamtam10

tamtam10 Active Member

I'm looking into purchasing a nice, simple, and awesome lush sounding reverb pedal and was wondering if anyone has had the chance the compare these two(/three) units specifically. I used to be into the thought of owning a Space/BSR, but then I figured it'd be useless to me as I only require a simple reverb- would never use shimmer, reverse, etc. Just a nice huge sounding lush reverb would do. I'd use it mainly for ambient stuff as well as well as for some bluesy leads. FWIW, I've heard all the WET clips and LOVE them... kinda' aiming in that direction at the moment, but maybe someone will sway me?

Anyone?

2. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I haven't owned both I can tell you that the good demo's of the WET represent it's sound well and it is a great reverb. I have it on my board next to a Hall of Fame and I just can't get rid if either. I use the WET most lately but every time I think about selling either, I just can't justify it. They both sound great and I prefer both to the BSR.

3. ruby7829

ruby7829 Silver Supporting Member

I own a sole mate and have used a WET a few times. The best way I can describe it is the WET sounds more like an effect to me (a great one mind you) but still a reverb effect, and the sole mate sounds like your amp's reverb. It actually sounds better than some amp reverb.

4. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

I had both, kept the wet. Although, the solemate was a bit redundant with my bandmaster reverb.

5. wec

wec Silver Supporting Member

I have both. The Wet sounds great but it does not sound like an analog spring reverb. They really are different sounds and it just depends on what you are looking for.

6. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I can agree with saying that the WET is almost "effect-like" as it has just tiniest amount of modulation to the tails (not to where it sounds like you can only use it for swells and ambient stuff unless you have the knobs way up) and it doesn't really sound like any other type of verb. Some people think it's a spring sound but I don't quite agree. It does have a somewhat spring-like "feel", though, as it does have that single slap-back echo to it and it has that kind of soak that makes it kind of difficult to tell what size of area the verb is emulating, which is more of a spring characteristic as opposed to a hall, room, church, etc, characteristic. One thing I like about it a little more than the HOF sometimes, is that, when using it as a depth effect (as opposed to an ambient effect with the knobs turned up), it doesn't seem to overwhelm the original notes you play. It's very transparent and it gives a lot of clarity to what you initially play instead of covering your sound in verb and making it unclear. Even with the knobs turned high, there is a lot of clarity. This is a really helpful sound for me because, no matter how much verb I'm using, I want the notes to be very clear. Even as the noted decay on the WET, they're still clear. It's like the verb makes space and depth around the notes as opposed to smothering them.

7. coolhand78

coolhand78 Member

I've owned both the van amps and currently have the wet and personally i feel the Dr Scientist sounds better than both... i'm not really doing gear at the moment but when i get back from my european holiday, i'll be bumping my wet for another RRR...

for the record i probably preferred the tone the van amps over the wet too...