• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Neural DSP - I just don’t get it!

TianJay

I must say, I’m a little dumbfounded and perplexed by how NeuralDSP operates… maybe someone can chime in and help me understand..

So, i have the Quad Cortex and with the latest update i am really digging it, I’ve managed to get some incredible tones… but here’s the thing, it still lacks so much stuff that i believe it should have had at launch, syncable modulations, better FX, better switching capabilities to name a few, and for a while there i was thinking that maybe they just don’t have the technical know how in creating some really stellar or unique FX and then the Tim Henson plugin drops! For anyone that has seen it, some beautiful Shimmers and apotheotic (i have no idea what that actually means lol) reverbs, lush chorus and Multivoicer… so obviously they could add these things to the QC, but why is it that their top line product does NOT have them… do they not want to dilute sales of their plugins? It’s frustrating as an owner of their flagship product seeing new products drop with better features…

And furthermore, why do they seem to be vacant from their own forum? It’s just weird…

TianJay

Is this the Official QC (Now) Owner Complaint Thread?
Haha, not exactly.. not specifically QC related, more a question as to NDSP’s reasoning when it comes to products… I already own a couple of their plugins and overall think they make awesome products, maybe some of these Fx will eventually find their way in to the QC maybe not, seems bizarre to me that some of the cool fx that are in their plugins were not ported to the QC at launch…

LaXu

Quad Cortex and plugin code are not compatible at this point. Quad Cortex runs its code on its dedicated DSP chip while your PC runs NeuralDSP plugin code on its general purpose processor. The architectures of these are not compatible so if NeuralDSP releases a new plugin it does not mean that code can be easily made to run on the QC. Things like DSP usage optimizations are not huge concerns for a PC which has typically ample processing power.

QC and plugin development teams are most likely separate as well so they run at a different pace.

Eventually they hopefully manage to port all of that to work on the QC or figure out a cross-platform solution.

You also have to remember that the Tim Henson plugin has probably been in development and testing for quite a while now so it's most likely been worked on even before the QC was even released.

James Freeman

I must say, I’m a little dumbfounded and perplexed by how NeuralDSP operates… maybe someone can chime in and help me understand..
Easy, they advertise stuff way beyond what they can deliver and take your money.
Just like that.

maybe they just don’t have the technical know how in creating some really stellar or unique FX and then the Tim Henson plugin drops!… so obviously they could add these things to the QC,
I think DSP on a x86 and real-time DSP on a specialized chip are two completely different worlds.
They overestimated their DSP abilities and let the marketing team loose.

And furthermore, why do they seem to be vacant from their own forum? It’s just weird…
Very weird indeed.. :)

PS.
I have your GT-10 Tutorial DVD from way back when, respect.
It saddens me to see a professional musician fallen for major marketing bs by a company that cares about money more than anything else.
Tian, the QC is a toy and not made for pros like yourself, get rid of it and pick up a tested road worthy pro gear like AxeFx, Helix or GT-1000.

TianJay

Quad Cortex and plugin code are not compatible at this point. Quad Cortex runs its code on its dedicated DSP chip while your PC runs NeuralDSP plugin code on its general purpose processor. The architectures of these are not compatible so if NeuralDSP releases a new plugin it does not mean that code can be easily made to run on the QC. Things like DSP usage optimizations are not huge concerns for a PC which has typically ample processing power.

QC and plugin development teams are most likely separate as well so they run at a different pace.

Eventually they hopefully manage to port all of that to work on the QC or figure out a cross-platform solution.

You also have to remember that the Tim Henson plugin has probably been in development and testing for quite a while now so it's most likely been worked on even before the QC was even released.
That all makes a lot of sense!

TianJay

I have your GT-10 Tutorial DVD from way back when, respect.
It saddens me to see a professional musician fallen for major marketing bs by a company that cares about money more than anything else.
Tian, the QC is a toy and not made for pros like yourself, get rid of it and pick up a tested road worthy pro gear like AxeFx, Helix or GT-1000.
Thanks James, nice to hear from you… i do have to say, whilst I definitely feel Neural released an undercooked product (in the QC), i am getting some of the best tones that I’ve ever had out of any modeller (and I’ve had many ), they just need to pump out some firmware releases that get it up to par with the other major players in the market. The recent firmware brought it to about 75% in terms of functionality but there’s still work to do… it’s certainly no “toy” but it’s not quite there yet if you were to consider it a complete solution… non syncable modulations is something that I’ve ranted about… i think this is inconceivable in a high end modeller in 2021

sleewell2

it seems like they announced it too early, needed the presales to develop it, ran into what were probably normal and unforeseen delays, and just released it anyways bc it was taking so long and are just hoping to update it along the way. i wanna try one but it seems like it could be a couple of years before i would want to commit to something like that at the rate they are going. more confirmation why i don't crowdsource gear. would be sort of cool to have now but i am fine waiting, especially hearing of people's frustrations with it.

Last edited:

mattt67

I was about to post something similar.
On the one hand, I’m excited by the Tim Henson plugin which looks really cool, with new stuff like the multi voice thingy.
On the other hand I’m really bummed that we QC owners just got a few fixes and a Shimmer in 4 months, and that the product is still so far behind what was initially promised.
We don’t even get a discount on the plugins!!!
I’ve been patient and polite, but come on NDSP, you know better than that!!!
:mob:mob:mob

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member

So, i have the Quad Cortex and with the latest update i am really digging it, I’ve managed to get some incredible tones… but here’s the thing, it still lacks so much stuff that i believe it should have had at launch, syncable modulations, better FX, better switching capabilities to name a few, and for a while there i was thinking that maybe they just don’t have the technical know how in creating some really stellar or unique FX and then the Tim Henson plugin drops! For anyone that has seen it, some beautiful Shimmers and apotheotic (i have no idea what that actually means lol) reverbs, lush chorus and Multivoicer… so obviously they could add these things to the QC, but why is it that their top line product does NOT have them… do they not want to dilute sales of their plugins? It’s frustrating as an owner of their flagship product seeing new products drop with better features…

That’s what you get for being a beta tester of a new non mature platform. Astonishing to me people run to get the new thing when it is not really ready for the marketplace. Helix, Fractal and Kemper are not perfect but offer a pretty complete system. Not sure why people get on waiting lists for new stuff that is not ready and complete yet. By the way I have the HX stomp and think it is a really good product. I think Line 6 is a great company, has excellent support and a great community with Helix.

Last edited:

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Haha, not exactly.. not specifically QC related, more a question as to NDSP’s reasoning when it comes to products… I already own a couple of their plugins and overall think they make awesome products, maybe some of these Fx will eventually find their way in to the QC maybe not, seems bizarre to me that some of the cool fx that are in their plugins were not ported to the QC at launch…
They've said the plug-in and QC dev teams are separate from each other. Obviously, the plug-in devs have had more time at it.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member

Hi TianJay !

I'm commenting as an observer and someone who has [at this point in time] absolutely no interest in getting a QC.

I raised your *very* point in the *big* thread before the QC shipped and was howled / shouted down by a stack of people who for god-only-knows-why were defending / "fanboi'ing" NDSP months before the first QC even shipped !?!?!?!?!? ... go figure :)

The bottom line as I see it is that their *sonic flagship tones* are in the plugins ..... if you want the best tones NDSP can make you need to buy their plugins. - it is the absolute antithesis of how Fractal and L6 work

Over time they have said they will be ported over to the QC so those that have spent hundreds / grand or two on some/all of them will be able to get them on to their QC ..... this as I see it is the eventually best case scenario.

They are never going to "insert" their plugin tones into any future QC FW - unless you have paid => again nothing wrong with this - its their business and their absolute right to run it as they wish.

As Blix wrote above its like no-one ever told them to "under-promise and over-deliver" - they did the exact opposite.

Full dislosure .... Im not a fan at all of how NDSP have run / managed the whole QC roll-out and the whole plugin-quality -vs- hardware-quality sonic differences issues ..... many others will doubtlessly disgree though.

All the best,
Ben

Trending Topics

Top Bottom