Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Jan 7, 2020.

1. CoastalRyan

CoastalRyan Member

The convenience of using Helix to record with such a massive variety in tone... has been worth a lot to me. I’m sure at some point it’ll be a paperweight but it’s been an extremely valuable tool for me.

I certainly think the 4C has the potential to be just as valuable of a tool.

I’m eagerly awaiting the early reviews.

2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Yeah but then you don't get a boatload of cool toys...

Mrkiammi likes this.
  3. CakeEater

CakeEater Member

Trying Archetype Plini made me completely re-build my main Helix preset from the ground up.
    I stacked multiple Plini and Helix Native plugins so I could tone match each component in complete isolation. Honestly I'm very happy with the result, the Plini amps required very little tweaking and the limited options of great tone was a far better jumping-off point then the array of amps in the Helix, but feel I got there in the end.

What I took from the process is that a pro guitarist and a crew of audio engineers know far more about good guitar tone than I do, my preset sits far better in mixes and play-alongs than it used to. I also focus less on stacked drive pedals and more on multiple amps now.

This video convinced me that I could get there with Helix in the end, but ultimately I'll be paying very close attention to the Quad Cortex when it comes out.

4. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

New thread: The website now talks about a desktop controller coming with it for free. Does anyone have any idea what that's about? It was well out of my rational reach until I saw that. Now, maybe it gets back on my radar.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

It’s an editor

6. luckymethod

luckymethod Member

I did the same, I feel you can get similar results but jut looking at the spectrum of frequencies produced by the Neural amps, there's just nothing in the Helix that does the same job. It's remarkable.

7. AICSRV

AICSRV Member

Initially after buying Plini (and doing the free trials of all the other NDSP plugins), I felt that I was getting better amp tones than my HX Stomp.

Now that the honeymoon is over I think I may have been hearing with my eyes haha. I really like the look of Neural's UI. Seeing the amp head, turning the virtual knobs etc. is very satisfying for me. Also the lack of options vs a full modeling device like the Stomp encouraged me to just play and not fiddle and swap effects in and out.

At this point I'm back to mostly playing with the Stomp and feel the tones I'm getting are at least equal in quality to Plini. That being said I'm happy with my Plini purchase and I look forward to trying the Quad Cortex.

8. Szabo Wabo

Szabo Wabo Member

I’ve never owned any modeling gear. I just bought a Headrush Pedalboard (used)...I haven’t even taken delivery of it. I also put my name on the FM3 list a couple month ago. I’m expecting that to be a long wait, so my thought was to try the Headrush. If I love it, I’ll skip the FM3 when my name comes up. If I don’t, I’ll sell it and get the FM3.

The QC changes that. The form factor, UI, and tones are all super impressive. I’m sold. I just put a deposit on it this morning. I’m stoked!

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. smj

smj Member

Sorry for this question... is it safe to assume that the QC will have the plugins in the box?

I do like Neural’s approach with their plugins... not pigeon holing users into old amp architecture.

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

10. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Yes the plugins that you have purchased Will with an import updater, comes with the QC
    But not if you havent purchased anything

11. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Really? I assumed there would be a software interface, but that is not, in my view, a "desktop controller."

Still, good to know.

12. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Look for details here
    https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex/

13. timbuck2

timbuck2 Member

Please report ypopu opinions of using it. thanx

14. smj

smj Member

My thought was, I’d rather save the money for the plugin and put it into the hardware unit if it was going to come with it anyway. From what you’re saying, it’s not part of the feature set that comes with the unit. I can live with that. Still might get the Fortin, the demos are great...especially Rabea’s.

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

15. randombastage

randombastage Supporting Member

If you think about the size of it, the layout on the screen lining up the parameters with the ‘stomp’ buttons that are also infinite knobs plus a touch screen etc. then it really already is a desktop controller. One that is robust enough that you can put on the floor as much as it is a floor unit you can put on the desk.

16. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Look at the link
    Https://neuraldsp. Com/quad-cortex/
    Look for Neural CNS
    They mentioned a Cortex desktop controller
    And I QUOTE, "Cortex desktop controller allows you to control the floor unit in real time, as well as direct access to neural CNS for exploring, sharing and downloading presets with the cortex users community"

17. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

With the text, alongside the picture of the computer and phone screens, it sure just looks like a typical editor to me. You change parameters on your computer, and it in turn, changes them on the device. Nothing new there. But still cool!

[​IMG]

jimfist likes this.
  18. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Yes it looks like an app from your phone or Ipad will tweak or wifi and bluetooth
    Which is pretty darn cool not many companies Fractal Kemper etc have that integtration yep

19. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

Great point - the WiFi connection is novel for a modeler (but has been implemented well on digital mixers)! No cable to the computer would be really convenient and cool!

football likes this.
  20. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Yes... the editor looks really cool and having mobile support is going to score a lot of points. TBH, the QC spec reads like a wish list. It feels kind of like they said, “let’s take the best features of all the existing products and specify ours as doing all those things”.