Neural DSP Quad Cortex

I mean... Kemper sounds like a tube amp. It sounds really good. The effects are pretty good too. It's going to be fine, especially with the back-catalog of profiles. I am happy to own one and can't really see myself selling it. That said, I'm SUPER impressed with the Neural DSP amp sims (I've got six of them) and will definitely be interested in picking up a QC once the reviews are out and the bugs are fixed.
I agree with all the above, and no one is going out of business bc of this release. What I mean is, this thing takes the best stuff that kemper and helix do and puts it all together, with a touchscreen, for less money. That’s going to make a dent in market share- probably to fractal as well to at least some extent too. The good news is, like you said- all these modeling options sound fn terrific and the competition only serves to benefit... us, the consumer.

What remains to be seen is how much of fractal-esque ‘tweakability’ will be included. Like, will we be able to change & bias tubes in their models? Create dynamic custom controls, like being able to link and control knobs based pitch- you know, that sort of infinite depth that has thus far been unique to fractal? That kind of detail is not in the plugins, so I’m not sure how much to expect in that regard.

ColorsWasted

Never understood why companies fail to update atleast every month on a new product. It was nice finding an update here but I had to do some serious digging just to come across this.

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Silver Supporting Member
Just for the record, I am perfectly fine with a company focused on an innovative solution (dare I say groundbreaking - TBC) to focus on delivering that innovative solution rather than placating my anxiety and lack of patience.

Not being a jerk, just saying that I would rather have a faster release than a delay due to a desire for predictive marketing. A few months of silence is not a deal breaker for such an innovative item.

Gearzilla

Just for the record, I am perfectly fine with a company focused on an innovative solution (dare I say groundbreaking - TBC) to focus on delivering that innovative solution rather than placating my anxiety and lack of patience.

Not being a jerk, just saying that I would rather have a faster release than a delay due to a desire for predictive marketing. A few months of silence is not a deal breaker for such an innovative item.
Doubt it’s an either or scenario.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Because it’s a competitive world.
If it was that competitive, everyone would do it out of necessity. In fact, such updates are more the exception rather than the rule. It's not like Fractal, Yamaha, Kemper, or Positive Grid has a track record of providing regular updates on unreleased product. In that light, I don't think anyone's ready to declare the 4C a doomed product because of lack of communication. In fact, hype generated in May and June is probably premature for a product not widely available until October / November. Better to save promotion for when it'll actually extract money out of consumers' pockets.

Then there's the potential downside of allowing consumers to base their opinions of the product on prototype units. It was a ballsy (and possibly ill-advised) move for NDSP to have the prototypes at NAMM given the lack of important features (reverb, stereo processing, etc.). Those who are upset about the lack of demos on a product that's nowhere near release-ready are being naive about what the current state of the device actually is.

Gearzilla

If it was that competitive, everyone would do it out of necessity. In fact, such updates are more the exception rather than the rule. It's not like Fractal, Yamaha, Kemper, or Positive Grid has a track record of providing regular updates on unreleased product. In that light, I don't think anyone's ready to declare the 4C a doomed product because of lack of communication. In fact, hype generated in May and June is probably premature for a product not widely available until October / November. Better to save promotion for when it'll actually extract money out of consumers' pockets.

Then there's the potential downside of allowing consumers to base their opinions of the product on prototype units. It was a ballsy (and possibly ill-advised) move for NDSP to have the prototypes at NAMM given the lack of important features (reverb, stereo processing, etc.). Those who are upset about the lack of demos on a product that's nowhere near release-ready are being naive about what the current state of the device actually is.
I’m not saying the product is doomed.

Doug Castro early on said he was going to have an ongoing blog about the Quad Cortex with regular updates.

The business set the expectation.

Not asking for demos....

:)

gtr37

I agree and i am sure they have this argument in their heads should we show them something now just to keep the interest but IMO you are better to hold back until you
Your endorsers and beta guys are 100% satisfied
A production model demo is the only thing you want to show at this point in the cycle not another in process unit
I am confident based on the plug in releases there will be no shortage of content and promotion as soon as September comes

I’m not saying the product is doomed.

Doug Castro early on said he was going to have an ongoing blog about the Quad Cortex with regular updates.

The business set the expectation.

Not asking for demos....

:)
In case he’s reading- doug just give me a call whenever man - and i’ll write the update for you. I’m told i’m a poet with words.

Look, we all are anxious to see content and updates. Reality is we’re still T minus 2 full months before it’s in-hand no matter what we do here. However i do enjoy the related banter so lets keep it going.

I really mean it, please let me pay my balance now so you can just drop ship when my # comes up. I don’t need no stinkin 5 business day leadtime from payment getting in the way. Cash-in-hand neural lets get this done.

doug castro

Yeah I could’ve surely been better at communicating progress Dan (our chief of marketing) and I were doing a list the other day of all the communication efforts we could and should have done throughout the process, but we’re working on doing better in this last stretch.

A lot has been due to workload. When COVID happened we had to work double hard to adapt and ensure that Development and production could go on as planned (it seemed like everyday there was a new problem to overcome).

So all of my energy was focused on ensuring that we could continue our work and most importantly keep the team as happy and effective as possible with all the lockdowns and strangeness in general.

I’ll do a more in depth tale of the whole process when the product is out and everyone is happy.

Thanks again for the support!
D.

Yeah I could’ve surely been better at communicating progress Dan (our chief of marketing) and I were doing a list the other day of all the communication efforts we could and should have done throughout the process, but we’re working on doing better in this last stretch.

A lot has been due to workload. When COVID happened we had to work double hard to adapt and ensure that Development and production could go on as planned (it seemed like everyday there was a new problem to overcome).

So all of my energy was focused on ensuring that we could continue our work and most importantly keep the team as happy and effective as possible with all the lockdowns and strangeness in general.

I’ll do a more in depth tale of the whole process when the product is out and everyone is happy.

Thanks again for the support!
D.
Thanks, Doug. I think what everyone's trying to say here, is take the last ~1.3 years of the FM3 rollout - and just 'dont' do any of that. Blog updates are cool but as long as you guys are keeping it more or less on schedule amidst a global pandemic - that's good enough for me.

RC Mike

Product launches are as much art as science. Especially when a company chooses to take orders from consumers before the product is complete and produced. It takes a great deal of faith to order an incomplete product from a company that isn’t well-known within the field of that specific product. Many small companies rely on those preorders to fund development, which often leads to real issues.

It’s easy to have a great idea, great advertising, and hype. It’s much, much harder to execute and create that reality.

pcutt

I've been working at Silicon Valley startups for 30+ years and the pandemic has amplified the difficulties, and the obstacles Doug has in getting products designed, tested and delivered are right in line with my experiences. Keep up the great work, Doug!

Gearzilla

I’m confident that NeuralDSP is going to successfully execute the Quad Cortex.

The fact that Doug did a gap analysis on the communications strategy, and shared that information is indicative of his ability to deliver.

They have good forward facing professional responses.

Last edited:

Trending Topics