• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Aaron Tuck

I’ve just done some tone demos for an upcoming recording of metal project I’ve been working on over some real drums recorded at a studio and have found an awesome combo.

Neural Granophyre on guitar 1, Nolly 5150 (amp 3) on guitar 2 and parallax on bass. This is after trying ML sound lab ML5 and TSE 5150. It’s sounding huge. The Neural stuff just leaves the others for dead. I just loaded Granophyre on one of the rhythm presets and added a ribbon mic in with the 57.

If I can get a discount on Granophyre I’m definitely adding it to the collection. I have full faith that the Quad Cortex will have amazing tones.

I have always felt that having a great cab mattered just as much as the amp itself for this type of noon discussion. Bouncing around between various rehearsal studios, I’ve played through cabs that sounded pretty awesome no matter what i threw at it, and others that were nothing but a struggle to work with. My experience with IR’s echoes this.

The ndsp plugins sound ridiculously good at noon though, thats for damn sure.

When I'm listening to the capture video it sounds pretty spot on through my speakers. So I'm wondering. If you prefer a real tube amp, bass amp, amp model, boost, or overdrive/distortion from another unit (fractal,/kemper/helix etc) couldn't you just capture it with the Quad Cortex and have the identical or so close of a sound that you couldn't tell which is which in a mix?

So in theory someone with any of units could capture all the amp models and overdrives and share them to the cloud?
Yes. Though a capture is only a snapshot of a current setting, it will not ‘model’ the device and give you full range of motion of the knobs. Get your pedal / amp / modeler the way you want it, capture it, and cortex should replicate that exact tone and feel and make that available to you in block form to be used in your signal chain.

Yes. Though a capture is only a snapshot of a current setting, it will not ‘model’ the device and give you full range of motion of the knobs. Get your pedal / amp / modeler the way you want it, capture it, and cortex should replicate that exact tone and feel and make that available to you in block form to be used in your signal chain.
Thanks! I think I read something that sounded like the captures would be a bit more tweakable than profiles. I'm stoked on the possibilities of this unit.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Love ya, JT, but I gotta disagree. I loved the sounds of the FM3 whenb, but I used zero of the factory presets. It was Leon Todd's stuff, and I just kept swapping amps in and out.

As much as there are "factory defaults" of Kemper, I also avoid them like the plague.

Ultimately, I'd say the "out of the box" with all of them is underwhelming, but in very different ways.
I'm not talking about factory presets, though. I am talking about default amp settings that don't sound like they were dialed in by a deaf person. I have a whole host of dumb things I don't like about Fractal but default amp settings and the little micro-hair of tweaking in that block to get to perfection is not one of them. I found my way with the Kemper almost instantly as well. All 17 times
:hide :rotflmao
My refusal to play like "they can all be dialed in to sound the same" is a result of my experience. And I stand by my opinion on that. Love you too :waiting:beer:)

wcfields

A bit out of the loop on this thing, and have only skimmed some posts in this thread but is there any info on how this capture or profiling works? Any demos of it?

Lachra

Yep. The rp200 was my first.
Haha, mine too. Used it with a Fender Stage 112 SE Amp.
Then I went RP300- then GNX2 I think it was... (I really like how on the the GNX2 you could run two amp models, and use the expression pedal to set the mix between them, to have Full A, Full B, or a mix of both)

From there I went Line6 Pod X3-
Also had a Spider 2x12 combo amp that I have long since traded in
Then 11Rack - still have that one
Now I have had the Helix Rack for 4 years now.
I have had a THR10X for about a year now, and about to upgrade to the THR30II.

I haven't a need/want to upgrade from Helix for the time being, or near future. But I am still interested in seeing what all this QC actually does once it is out, and what kind of support it will be receiving.

mikah912

I'm not talking about factory presets, though. I am talking about default amp settings that don't sound like they were dialed in by a deaf person. I have a whole host of dumb things I don't like about Fractal but default amp settings and the little micro-hair of tweaking in that block to get to perfection is not one of them. I found my way with the Kemper almost instantly as well. All 17 times
My refusal to play like "they can all be dialed in to sound the same" is a result of my experience. And I stand by my opinion on that. Love you too :waiting:beer:)
No argument from me there. I'll avoid the homogenization game. Fractal and Kemper amps - for a few reasons for me as well - have the easiest-to-work with starting points. I'm hoping the EVH or SLO we heard in that video was more of the exception than the rule.

Because their plugins that I own - Nolly and Cali - have fantastic default tones upon boot-up.

gtr37

So you do like the Fractal presets ? Or you think they were dialed in by deaf people
Or was that the Helix???
I am not keeping up except that it was the kemper you will have owned 20 time by Halloween

Gearzilla

No argument from me there. I'll avoid the homogenization game. Fractal and Kemper amps - for a few reasons for me as well - have the easiest-to-work with starting points. I'm hoping the EVH or SLO we heard in that video was more of the exception than the rule.

Because their plugins that I own - Nolly and Cali - have fantastic default tones upon boot-up.
Kiko basically plays a 24 fret variant of an S540.

That sonic signature is highly indicative of that guitar in general.

Trending Topics