Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Mrkiammi

I tried the Cory Wong again last night, but either it's not for me, or i just haven't figured it out yet. I got a bit frustrated with it, and then switched to Bias, looked for a SRV preset in the cloud, downloaded it, and within 10 seconds of tweaks, i had a really beautiful clean tone. I played that for an hour, started relearning Little Wing, then plugged in my fake Tube Screamer which is good but i had still never been able to get THE tube screamer sound i wanted... and boom—it was it. I played until midnight, tripping over myself with doublestops that had never sounded so 'sing-y.' But, Bias sucks, right?!
I wouldnt know i have tried the atomic, helix hx effects and had both after i tried neural dsp
I ended up selling both because i really the tones i get from neural. I have not Bias fx.
But Bias fx is behind Spark amp right?, and the reviews is kinda ok? .

RolandKorg

I wouldnt know i have tried the atomic, helix hx effects and had both after i tried neural dsp
I ended up selling both because i really the tones i get from neural. I have not Bias fx.
But Bias fx is behind Spark amp right?, and the reviews is kinda ok? .
About Bias: people online tend to say things like, 'the UI is great, but the tones are not as good as the other app sims (Amplitube, S-Gear, Overloud, GuitarRig).' I think people say the Bias tones are 'fizzy' maybe? I dunno. It's just rare that anyone thinks Bias sounds better than the others. I had a lot of fun with it on the iPad, but that was a relative thing—relative to expectations from an iPad, and the UI was a critical part of the enjoyment. I actively disliked most of the other UIs from other apps, desktop and iOS.

Yeah, Bias is from Positive Grid. I don't know about the Spark reviews. Great concept. I think there were some issues, though.

What kind of tones are you getting from the Neural stuff? What kind of music, and who are your inspirations? My problem with the Neural stuff is that i had never heard of any of they guys they name their stuff after, i don't know their music. But, if i go to ToneJunkie and listen to him demo Kemper patches, there's an instant affinity—it's presented in exactly the way that makes sense for me. I just haven't figured out the adjustment to Neural's core audience or how to know if a 'modern metal guy's tone' is going to translate to SRV or Tom Petty or Pat Benatar or Rolling Stones. I'm sure the QC has the technical horsepower to do it all but i'm going to be only barely on the Neural side of the fence until some guys start showing it that way.

Mrkiammi

What kind of tones are you getting from the Neural stuff? What kind of music, and who are your inspirations? My problem with the Neural stuff is that i had never heard of any of they guys they name their stuff after, i don't know their music.I just haven't figured out the adjustment to Neural's core audience or how to know if a 'modern metal guy's tone' is going to translate to SRV or Tom Petty or Pat Benatar or Rolling Stones.
I listened and enjoy playing different kinds like love Strat style music blues with artist like SRV, john Mayer, SRV, jimi hendrix, clapton and les paul rock style vintage, classic rock pink floyd, led zep. Black Sabbath, Rival sons, Its not i dont listen to metal or heavy rock i do.

Cory wong is a huge John mayer fan, so i can get some of his classic guitar blues tones, try cory wongs meditation solo preset.
The amp snob has the Dumble Steel string Singer flavour, it should be possible for you with the tube Screamer effect to get close to tone.
I really recommend you to get @Steven ward presets, watch his videos tone artist videos and Rabea share some of his very nice presets too. He also have very good Strat presets.

Cali and Nolly are very good general with rhythm classic rock.

RolandKorg

I listened and enjoy playing different kinds like love Strat style music blues with artist like SRV, john Mayer, SRV, jimi hendrix, clapton and les paul rock style vintage, classic rock pink floyd, led zep. Black Sabbath, Rival sons, Its not i dont listen to metal or heavy rock i do.

Cory wong is a huge John mayer fan, so i can get some of his classic guitar blues tones, try cory wongs meditation solo preset.
The amp snob has the Dumble Steel string Singer flavour, it should be possible for you with the tube Screamer effect to get close to tone.
I really recommend you to get @Steven ward presets, watch his videos tone artist videos and Rabea share some of his very nice presets too. He also have very good Strat presets.

Cali and Nolly are very good general with rhythm classic rock.
Thank you!

Aaron Tuck

Do we know how many units are being shipped worldwide after the preorders? The one Australian distributor has said that they’ll email me when they arrive so looks like I maybe can’t preorder like people in the US.

Tiger1016

Silver Supporting Member
Nathan's frozen fries are incredible. I 'discovered' them just this year while on the East coast, and was destroyed—devastated—to find they aren't available in the west.
I can accept my punishment guys. Have your fun. Sorry again.

And a carrying on with this theme. When I had done a temporary move from TX to MN, I was shocked to find out that you could not buy a kolache in the entire state. Had to do a Google search after I go a few weird looks when I even brought up the word, like I was speaking a foreign language. So weird that some things that kind of seem like staples don't translate across country.

Tiger1016

Silver Supporting Member
I think you were speaking a foreign language. Czech?
More of a foreign language than I even realized until just now. Yeah Czech, great catch.

So I did some additional googling just now to find that apparently kolaches have only been a TX staple for a long time. Had figured it was just a hit or missing thing since I had seen that there were a few places in Wisconsin within and hour drive that also sold them.

Things for the food foodcation list if you ever hit up South TX - TexMex, BBQ, cajun seafood, and apparently kolaches as well.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Do we know how many units are being shipped worldwide after the preorders? The one Australian distributor has said that they’ll email me when they arrive so looks like I maybe can’t preorder like people in the US.
I seem to recall a figure of ~5K included Tiers 1&2, as well as initial dealer orders.

mvsr990

I have high hopes - the NeuralDSP plugins weren't my style (high gain, I don't like the included effects when I have my own, etc.) but they seem to sound really good doing what they do. Eager to try this with my more traditional amp preferences (AC30, Plexi, if they could throw in an Orange OR120 thatwouldbegreat).

Antipodes

I can accept my punishment guys. Have your fun. Sorry again.

And a carrying on with this theme. When I had done a temporary move from TX to MN, I was shocked to find out that you could not buy a kolache in the entire state.
So is that like a kolachnikov?

LaXu

I tried the Cory Wong again last night, but either it's not for me, or i just haven't figured it out yet. I got a bit frustrated with it, and then switched to Bias, looked for a SRV preset in the cloud, downloaded it, and within 10 seconds of tweaks, i had a really beautiful clean tone. I played that for an hour, started relearning Little Wing, then plugged in my fake Tube Screamer which is good but i had still never been able to get THE tube screamer sound i wanted... and boom—it was it. I played until midnight, tripping over myself with doublestops that had never sounded so 'sing-y.' But, Bias sucks, right?!
I have been testing the NeuralDSP Cory Wong and Cali plugins for a few evenings and can get good sounds out of both, but I have to say that there are a lot of presets and settings that don't do it for me in both. From the Cali presets I liked Rabea's presets best and used those as a basis for the tones I liked - punchy, somewhat dry high gain. I found the rest just way too fizzy for my tastes so I don't see myself buying the plugin. There's a lot of things that sound like an EQ filter changed to me.

I am not all that familiar with Vulfpeck songs but I rolled through the Cory Wong presets and found several good tones in there. Most of them were pretty compressed for cleaner tones and getting more overdriven tones out of this thing did not work that well for me.

Overall out of the NeuralDSP plugins I have tried I have liked the Plini one best. I felt it had the best combo of clean and overdriven tones that I liked. My overall feel about NeuralDSP plugins is that they are more like fast track routes to polished guitar sounds rather than being spot on reproductions of specific amps. It's certainly not the wrong way to go about it but it remains to be seen how they fare when the goal is accurate amp model reproduction.

illegal gardener

I have been testing the NeuralDSP Cory Wong and Cali plugins for a few evenings and can get good sounds out of both, but I have to say that there are a lot of presets and settings that don't do it for me in both. From the Cali presets I liked Rabea's presets best and used those as a basis for the tones I liked - punchy, somewhat dry high gain. I found the rest just way too fizzy for my tastes so I don't see myself buying the plugin. There's a lot of things that sound like an EQ filter changed to me.

I am not all that familiar with Vulfpeck songs but I rolled through the Cory Wong presets and found several good tones in there. Most of them were pretty compressed for cleaner tones and getting more overdriven tones out of this thing did not work that well for me.

Overall out of the NeuralDSP plugins I have tried I have liked the Plini one best. I felt it had the best combo of clean and overdriven tones that I liked. My overall feel about NeuralDSP plugins is that they are more like fast track routes to polished guitar sounds rather than being spot on reproductions of specific amps. It's certainly not the wrong way to go about it but it remains to be seen how they fare when the goal is accurate amp model reproduction.
I thought the same thing about the presets, mostly the high gain ones, until I realized many of them work much better in mixes as opposed to solo practice / fun tones. I’m sure a lot of what sounds ‘off’ could come down to pickups too.

I agree the plini plugin is their best work so far, especially for lead tones. Its so easy it feels like i’m cheating somehow.

gtr37

i think the Cali can get fizzy too especially if you engage the clipping section
Have you tried the Omega one I see a lot of comments about how its VHT like that dry tight percussive hi gain tone ,Which it sounds like you dig

Trending Topics