Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Dimi84

Question for you all.

I imagine most vendors that sell Kemper profiles will run the QC capture process on the actual profile as they don't still have the amps.

What are your thoughts on this vs captures of real amps?
It can be cool.. as it's not like the kemper profiles must sound bad or anything.. but using kemper for a long time, I know what to expect from the unit in regards to the "TS" character.

Just about the first thing I'll test with the cortex is if it suffers from the same deficiencies capturing my amps... And assuming the cortex is more accurate than kemper for a given tone, I'll surely prefer captures of the "real" tones, not kemper versions.

But there are certain profiles I've made for myself that I'll capture with the cortex too. Not for sale, just profiles made with currently unavailable gear, profiles that do sound great for me.

Yet even if cortex isn't more accurate than kemper, depending on scenario, targeting the real source tones may be more desirable for many people, I'd assume...

.. Never mind you may have cases of cortex accurately replicating kemper innacuracies, then adding its own!.. If the unit isn't accurate enough, of course. In such a scenario, I'd also prefer targeting the original source tones rather than kemper profiles, not be layering unit-specific innacuracies on top of each other.

Last edited:

FarleyUK

I genuinely had dreams about the QC last night.

I used to own an AFD100 amp and a modded JVM410HJS amp that I loved, but sold both before I got the Kemper. In my dream, I was desperately trying to track them both down so I could profile them with the QC!

Using other people's profiles / captures is fine, but it's obviously never as good as capturing your amp at your 'sweet spot' on it. Plus, the mods I did to the JVM410HJSmade an awesome amp an otherwordly amp! Really wish I hadn't sold them now :(

RoyAL73

Question for you all.

I imagine most vendors that sell Kemper profiles will run the QC capture process on the actual profile as they don't still have the amps.

I am also in the camp of strongly wanting clear notification/advertisement of a QC capture of a profile vs the actual amp. The capture process is so different using neural nets it could very well be better or certainly different and you could lose this benefit. Further any inaccuracies or deficiencies in either process could be additive in this scenario. It could be that it sounds reasonable but I will also do my best to avoid the purchase of a capture of a capture. I would hate to have these flood the market and in the end be found to have some sound deficiencies. It could unfairly color the opinion of the QC capture quality.

BKE

I genuinely had dreams about the QC last night.

I used to own an AFD100 amp and a modded JVM410HJS amp that I loved, but sold both before I got the Kemper. In my dream, I was desperately trying to track them both down so I could profile them with the QC!

Using other people's profiles / captures is fine, but it's obviously never as good as capturing your amp at your 'sweet spot' on it. Plus, the mods I did to the JVM410HJSmade an awesome amp an otherwordly amp! Really wish I hadn't sold them now :(
I have an afd 100 and a modded jvm (standard) am looking forward to experimenting with the cortex capture on them! Along with jcm800, markv and Marshall Astoria custom!

hendrik7

Question for you all.

Isn't one of QC's main selling points that it's a new superior capture technology? Why would I want anyone's copy of a copy that was previously captured using older technology?

QC's capture accuracy is still unknown at the moment, but if theory holds true then I wouldn't spend a dime on 3rd party captures done with Kemper profiles (or Helix or whatnot).

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Question for you all.

I'd hope vendors would disclose if they're capturing the Kemper. Otherwise, the credibility thing goes out the window. I plan to only offer real amp captures. I still have 10-12 amps to get started.

Dead-Pan

Isn't one of QC's main selling points that it's a new superior capture technology? Why would I want anyone's copy of a copy that was previously captured using older technology?

QC's capture accuracy is still unknown at the moment, but if theory holds true then I wouldn't spend a dime on 3rd party captures done with Kemper profiles (or Helix or whatnot).
There is one specific issue that makes the Kemper unique so far. It doesn't use traditional IRs and this really has an effect on it's results.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with this.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if the Quad Cortex could also interpolate what an amp profile would sound like recorded through different cabs? You record it with a 1 x 12 but the unit can simulate what the amp would sound like through a 4 x 12. Or, am I completely wrong here? I've not used captures before, just IRs.

Does this "interpolation" happen when you take a profile and add an IR to it? How do captures typically work anyway when you're using a head and not a combo?

Dimi84

I wonder if the Quad Cortex could also interpolate what an amp profile would sound like recorded through different cabs? You record it with a 1 x 12 but the unit can simulate what the amp would sound like through a 4 x 12. Or, am I completely wrong here? I've not used captures before, just IRs.

Does this "interpolation" happen when you take a profile and add an IR to it? How do captures typically work anyway when you're using a head and not a combo?
I'd imagine you can shoot a direct amp capture (no cab and mic included) and then use whatever IR you like. That's how quite a few been using kemper for the most part (myself included).

Kemper has a way of seperating the cab/mic from studio profiles, but it's a rather fixed way of doing so and doesn't really offer you the greatest accuracy on the amp part compared to shooting direct profiles (assuming all goes fine profiling these).

mikah912

before the Holidays is the latest
So probably mid December
Their site is still showing Nov. 27, and I reached out to my rep on Friday about possible delays as soon as Neural made the announcement. He says it'll "likely affect their shipment", but they don't have a new ETA yet.

Last edited:

Trending Topics