Neural DSP Quad Cortex

RolandKorg

Is anyone else planning on incorporating external pedals with this thing? I thought I saw something about how the QC handles fuzzes but can't find any of those posts.

I was planning on using a Meris Mercury7 or Volante but after hearing some more QC clips and how good the reverbs/delays sound and the fact that I'd have to use both loops for stereo I'll just use the internal verbs/delays.

I've never heard fuzz modeled particularly well and was planning on bringing in something external. I have a ThorpyFX Veteran that's a great fuzz face clone and I can get really nice Eric Johnson sounds out of (one of my favorite tones). Never really used that many drive pedals before, but it was mostly for board space considerations.

HOWEVER, I have a lead on an insane deal (~$600 new) on the Chase Bliss Automatone preamp which can do the fuzz face thing, works with MIDI and while I'm not the biggest drive person, I can of course use it with my actual amp rig. I could also resell, but there is nothing I hate more than having to deal with people.

Any thoughts? We have very little to go of off due to lack of clips and part of me wanting to buy this is my internal American consumerism (I also haven't bought any gear in like 4 months).
I asked pretty much the same question recently (#5964), but did not get any responses. Fuzz is always a concern with modeling.

Mango Positive

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not usually into fuzz, but I do have a Keeley Dark Side in front of my Kemper that I use pretty often. I also hope the fuzzes are good. I'm pretty pleased with the software sim overdrives, so here's hoping.

rickydenim

I'm planning on selling most of my board when I get the QC but the one pedal Ill be keeping to run through it is my Green Carrot Infatuator fuzz. Mike Vennarts signature pedal. It is glorious.

Bach1970

Silver Supporting Member
Hi @dan_ndsp since you are working on some last software glitches, can you publish the manual so we can at least read that and get more familiar with the unit?

Aaron Tuck

I messaged the Australian distributor today and he said he can’t guarantee a December delivery and has now changed ETA from December to December/January.

I don’t have a problem with that as he doesn’t know and maybe Neural don’t know exactly when it will be finished and how damn long it will take to be shipped from Finland to Australia during Christmas and Covid.

It’s good to have an updated ETA though so I can plan other purchases before Christmas. Don’t get me wrong... I’d love to have this sexy beast in my hands before the Christmas break but don’t think that’s going to happen now.

Just got to go with the flow of the universe and after this giveaway ends I can stop checking my email 400 times a day for an email from Dan.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Is anyone else planning on incorporating external pedals with this thing? I thought I saw something about how the QC handles fuzzes but can't find any of those posts.

I was planning on using a Meris Mercury7 or Volante but after hearing some more QC clips and how good the reverbs/delays sound and the fact that I'd have to use both loops for stereo I'll just use the internal verbs/delays.

I've never heard fuzz modeled particularly well and was planning on bringing in something external. I have a ThorpyFX Veteran that's a great fuzz face clone and I can get really nice Eric Johnson sounds out of (one of my favorite tones). Never really used that many drive pedals before, but it was mostly for board space considerations.

HOWEVER, I have a lead on an insane deal (~$600 new) on the Chase Bliss Automatone preamp which can do the fuzz face thing, works with MIDI and while I'm not the biggest drive person, I can of course use it with my actual amp rig. I could also resell, but there is nothing I hate more than having to deal with people.

Any thoughts? We have very little to go of off due to lack of clips and part of me wanting to buy this is my internal American consumerism (I also haven't bought any gear in like 4 months).
I am. I’ll use it in the loop. I’ve a Skreddy 1971 and a few other boutique fuzzes I want to keep using.
I messaged the Australian distributor today and he said he can’t guarantee a December delivery and has now changed ETA from December to December/January.

I don’t have a problem with that as he doesn’t know and maybe Neural don’t know exactly when it will be finished and how damn long it will take to be shipped from Finland to Australia during Christmas and Covid.

It’s good to have an updated ETA though so I can plan other purchases before Christmas. Don’t get me wrong... I’d love to have this sexy beast in my hands before the Christmas break but don’t think that’s going to happen now.

Just got to go with the flow of the universe and after this giveaway ends I can stop checking my email 400 times a day for an email from Dan.
I'm still sticking with my gut and thinking the purchase invites will come in mid-December. We won't get them until January though with the Christmas shipping rush. If it slips past that, I don't believe any purchase invites will come before early to mid-January. Maybe later.

phillyred79

Platinum Supporting Member
I think it's a psychological obstacle/game at this point now on both sides neural/customers... They don't want to drop the bombshell news that it won't be shipping to anyone until 2021 because their distributors will be pissed that they will get cancelled orders so Neural has to be careful.. On our side we are already concerned/annoyed with the delays, but I'd just like to hear 2021 so I can stop being annoying on these forums with my speculative posts... ;)

AND... Maybe they are also trying to milk their plugin game because they know once people buy the QC their revenue stream from that potential audience will be cut back to a trickle for awhile anyways....

illegal gardener

I think it's a psychological obstacle/game at this point now on both sides neural/customers... They don't want to drop the bombshell news that it won't be shipping to anyone until 2021 because their distributors will be pissed that they will get cancelled orders so Neural has to be careful.. On our side we are already concerned/annoyed with the delays, but I'd just like to hear 2021 so I can stop being annoying on these forums with my speculative posts... ;)

AND... Maybe they are also trying to milk their plugin game because they know once people buy the QC their revenue stream from that potential audience will be cut back to a trickle for awhile anyways....
I think plugin sales are gonna be quiet for awhile after the current sale ends -unless- they drop a new one, which I think happens within the next 2 weeks, hopefully alongside the first qc invites. With no updates released on any plugin in quite some time now, that team has surely been busy with something and this would be the appropriate time.

j_m_s

That and at the rate they run 50% off sales, not many people are going to shell out "retail" price on them. Just makes more sense to wait.

I do hope.... I get to see my unit before 2020 is over. If it really is 2021, I'd rather know now.

Assuming all that's being worked on now are software bugs etc. Then I think it's fair for the manual to be put out too, would at least be something we can occupy ourselves with and to be more familiar with the unit once we get it in our hands.

phillyred79

Platinum Supporting Member
Assuming all that's being worked on now are software bugs etc. Then I think it's fair for the manual to be put out too, would at least be something we can occupy ourselves with and to be more familiar with the unit once we get it in our hands.
In their minds they'd rather release a manual that covers included features that work right now out of the box vs "In theory, this is how we'd like IRs to load and emulate all your favorite classic C64 games with this block...." ;)

WingZero

You think the sales of plugins will be affected by the QC's release?
I'm sure it'll drop because of the sales' end, but I dont think people who buy 1500USD+ devices are the same that would buy a 55USD plug-in when its on sale. These are probably 2 different customers.
Also, I think the QC is not targeted at the plug-in users but at a market that NDSP is new to (as a company, I know Doug is not) The fact that it will eventually allow to blend plug-ins in the device is just the cream on top to allow their long time users to have more.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I dunno but it seems to me that the hardware market is fairly distinct from the plugin market. I could be wrong since NDSP saw value in providing plugin portability to the hardware. Even so, that could cut both ways: some might get the 4C instead of plugins while others might use plugins to augment their modeler's capabilities.

j_m_s

In their minds they'd rather release a manual that covers included features that work right now out of the box vs "In theory, this is how we'd like IRs to load and emulate all your favorite classic C64 games with this block...." ;)
Maybe just strikethrough those that aren't ready at launch.... (I'm kidding haha).

I think it goes both ways regarding plugin sales. Some QC owners who don't already own plugins may jump on the bandwagon post-qc. Although it'd probably be wiser to pick them up now during the sale.

mikah912

Interestingly enough, although I have an interest in a couple of their plugins I don't already own, the QC's nebulous release (along with the unknown time it will take for the plugins to be ported) has actually cooled my plans to buy them now during their current sale.

It's not because of some obvious "Well, you guys are taking too long with QC, so I'm going to passively-aggressively clap back by withholding purchases, so....Nyah!" mentality. It's more that I kinda don't want mess with the plugins anymore - even those I own - until they're integrated with the hardware because I like a continuous workflow from DAW-to-modeler-and-back. Basically, I don't want to fall in love with a tone I tweaked in the plug-in, then not be able to use it when I jam out with friends. Most of my stuff lately has been all-Helix for this very reason.

RolandKorg

This lack of info on release timing is going to cost me money. I probably should have bought Bias FX 2 at the sale price a few weeks ago, but didn’t want to do that for only a month or less of use. If the QC isn’t realistically going to be shipping from retailers until after the new year, it would have been worth it to buy the reduced price temporary solution.

sixeight

Maybe the sale on the plug-ins is just a way to pay the salaries. With the delay of the Quad Cortex and a very large team working on it things just may be a little tight on the financial front.

Trending Topics