1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Jan 7, 2020.

1. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Me too

PaisleyWookie and Drop the sun like this.
  2. gtr37

gtr37 Member

this is the key the dealers
    If this IS as good as Fractal and Kemper and they get Line6/ kemper big box distribution by the end of the year
    I predict 2021 they could conceivably cut into the competition pretty deeply

also if they get 1000 pre orders before even showing at NAMM
    That 200,000 in capital
    If all those follow through in September and purchase
    Another 1.4 mill thats a freaking lot

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  3. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

Just waiting for the firmware update to fix the tuner

rd2rk, hotrats73, CjRuckus and 2 others like this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Member

Don't know how Finland engineering salaries compare to Silicon Valley or how big the development team is, but 1.4 mill is not that much.

5. gtr37

gtr37 Member

its enough to invest and move fwd and likely set up the distribution channels they want
    Start up projects like this you dont generally get rich right away

ptgold likes this.
  6. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

it’s a nice head start though.

LordByron likes this.
  7. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Man, if you suceed in making a pro-level Voicelive out of your new creature (at least in terms of guitar and vocal presets), you'll get a lot of additional attention...
    I'd love if there was a BodyRez-like processor for acoustic guitar, and filters for the voice (including formants processors).
    Then, if your AI could perform a profilation on guitars as well (see ToneDexter, or XT-1 by SIM1)...

I don't get this either. Just keep in mind you can pay 35% custom duties, and sometimes the percentage is calculated on the whole value, expedition costs included o_O

Look more carefully ;)
    Random quotations: two mic inputs with pres and phantom, with patches for vocals; each I/O socket is assignable by the user; the above-mentioned audio-over-USB...

... but at least the ladies would hit the unit with their softest parts, not with boots' soles :p

Damian's question aims at inquiring whether QC can "profile" an amp in which both pre and power section are working outside their linear window, since this is something that creates issues in Kemperland.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Outside their linear window? What is the linear window in tube circuits overdriving? Less than what 0.05% THD? I mean unless I'm completely misunderstanding where the problem is.
    But what I expect from any device trying to mimick another device is for starters have the right amount over overtones...which is a whole nother discussion.
    But the theoretical part they all do. And it has little to do with distortion and everything with as I said non linearity.

9. AuntieDiluvian

AuntieDiluvian Member

He's right - $1.4M isn't a lot. I would expect engineering and manufacturing tooling for a platform-level development project like this to run in the $20-30M range, assuming no ASICs or other high-capital requirements. That's before marketing, inventory, samples, filling the manufacturing pipeline, training the assemblers, etc.

The trouble with all of these is that the per-unit cost is a rounding error compared to the development cost and tooling capitalization. These aren't high-volume products like cellphones or automotive components, so you have to figure out how to price it to get enough volume to repay the upfront investment. Too high a price and you don't sell enough; too low and your margin is insufficient, even if you saturate your market niche.

Tough business....

Elric, MIJLOVER and tjontheroad like this.
  10. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

As a matter of fact, Kemper warns that the profilation of two or more distorting block in a chain might not return an accurate result (often it doesn't). This includes using a distortion pedal in series to a distorting amp.

OTOH, if raising 200k €/$ is a goal of theirs, it means that 200k is not a negligible amount in their economy, no?

11. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

It’s really not a lot. Figure in salaries, rent, manufacturing, etc. That $1.4M is long gone before the first unit ships.

AuntieDiluvian likes this.
  12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

How much money you think small MI companies generate?!

13. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

Have any of you guys heard about investors? Willing to bet a lot of the up front cash was funded by a group of investors.
    Unless you think all of the engineering and marketing to this point has been for free.

gtr37 and Gasp100 like this.
  14. effectsman

effectsman Member

Wow 40 pages of discussion in 27 minutes. Certainly generating some interest, and the competition for the other players like Fractal, Line 6, Headrush, etc can only be good for guitarists.

15. gtr37

gtr37 Member

yep , you get it
    There are investors and silent partner likely that want to see proof that people would be willing to buy a hardwAre unit

The 1000 pre orders and 200000k being raised is a pretty good argument especially in a matter of days

Money excites money

16. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Great point. Money talks much more than people just signing up for a wait list. Even if there aren’t any investors per se, it’s a lot easier to get a line of credit to manufacture goods where people have already plunked down 1/8 of the total price.

PaisleyWookie and AuntieDiluvian like this.
  17. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

It's an ambitious piece of hardware. If this is the future of guitar modellers, I'm excited.

The company has to raise money to develop the product. Every business venture is a chance and all the hype in the world doesn't mean a product will be successful. The launch has been successful, the People that would be interested in this kind of product have either pre-ordered or put it on the radar. I've spoken to guys who were on the fence with buying a helix kempz or fractal consider paying attention to how this product rolls out. They wanna hear before they buy , YouTube demos etc.

The end factor is more players are going to buy these kind of units. Once the market grows, that's better for everybody. End of 2020 seems like enough time for me to save and consider one for 2021. No rush now, but I really wanna see if this could be an all in one solution for my band.

bjelkeman and Gasp100 like this.
  18. Daves Not Here Man

Daves Not Here Man Member

have they posted an amp and effects list yet? I'm interested, but curious if they'll have the types of tones I'm after in the unit

19. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life Member

Does it have a built in tuner?

20. mikah912

mikah912 Supporting Member

Not only have they not, but Doug Castro said they were still trying to acquire some of the amps they wanted to put in the unit. Lotta stuff to do between now and September. I'm personally feeling this will be more of a 2021 piece of gear, but we'll see....