Never owned a Fuzz Factory

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 74vibrolux, Apr 18, 2020.

1. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Member

And I’m endlessly ashamed of myself. I’ve played and lived so many fuzzes it’s ridiculous. I’m DBA for life and love a good tone bender. For some reason I’ve just never owned a FF. And being a huge Nels Cline fan it seems almost unforgivable.

I LOVE my DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun. Are they at all similar?

Mostly just sitting here on lockdown and shaming myself.

songtalk and The Captain like this.
  2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Lol I bet you bought one between the time you started this thread and my post

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I’ve never tried one either, but I tried one once. It’s a wild beast.

4. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

5. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I've owned probably 50 fuzzes in my life, and the Fuzz Factory is still my all-time favorite. Nothing else sounds quite like it. Just go get yourself one and don't look back. You won't regret it.

willc68, ESW., AStrangeDay and 6 others like this.
  6. jmoose

jmoose Member

Chaos in a box, nothing else like it. I gave up and sold mine was just too uncontrollable... At times wish I kept it for studio work, kinda like the seek wah I also launched. Funny but I traded the seek wah to a local shop about 2 years ago and it's still sitting there...

Eventually wound up with a Red Witch fuzz God 2 which also does the self oscillation tricks but is far easier to wrangle.

Blue Bee and whateverdude like this.
  7. whateverdude

whateverdude Silver Supporting Member

Love me some FF, you owe it to yourself to try one in all its crazy glory.

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

"Chaos in a box" is exactly right. I prefer it over the DBA Fuzz Gun, it's got it's own thing going on.

9. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

That and a big muff and I'm pretty well set for fuzz. It's just the most appropriate name for that pedal. Once you understand how those crazy knobs work you can really manufacture your own fuzz sound that works with your entire rig. I have at least three different go to settings.

I like using the gate around 12 or 2:00 to get out those octave fuzz tones.

10. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Fuzz God sounds interesting... the Fuzz Factory is my favorite Fuzz, sadly sold mine too just wasn't using it much and always hoped to find something else in the same ballpark. Does Fuzzgod do oscillating thing with the guitars tone knob as you turn it? I love that on the FF

11. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member

Fuzz factory needs to be played to experienced. I had one years ago and after 29 days it went back to GC. I loved messing with it and it’s hypnotic! Just wasn’t practical enough live. I bought a big Box 69 Slight Return the day I returned it, so I feel pretty good still

12. jmoose

jmoose Member

Not sure I can answer that directly... Maybe check out the old pro guitar demo which IMO gives a decent feel for things. There are a couple different versions of the fuzz God I have the 2 which is a large box with 4 knobs & 2 foot switches.

There are a couple switches to engage chaos or get "normal" fuzz behavior...leans more towards fuzz face then tone bender. And it's center negative so it can run off a standard power supply which is pretty sweet.

Nowhere near as wild as the fuzz factory but I can often get back to repeatable settings without struggle, or as said act like a typical fuzz face without oscailtions.

13. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

be unique.
    dont get one.
    its a jack of all trades, master of none.
    god forbid u bump a knob or two live ....

fuzz guy likes this.
  14. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Member

I built myself one, and it was as advertised, lots of over the top fuzz. I ended up selling it as it was fun to mess around with, and always brought a smile to my face, but wasn't very practical.

15. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

I love the Fuzz Factory. I actually just built myself one a few days ago because I haven't owned one in a few years. Also, I had a couple spam can transistors I wanted to try (I know that Zach used specific spam cans, but these sound great.) Anyway, it can be unruly, but its not as bad as it's made out to be. As long as the stab control is cranked it won't really oscillate. As you roll the stab back you can compensate with the gate and comp controls. Its fairly intuitive once you play around for a few minutes. Lots of cool sounds inside.

songtalk likes this.
  16. sahhas

sahhas Member

I’m on my 5th fuzz factory... it’s a sickness

Serious Poo and whateverdude like this.
  17. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

My favorite pedal of all time. A little instrument.

I recently got a FF7 and that is the bee’s knees for me.

That said, it definitely is not for everyone. I fell in love at first play. Others, not so much.

songtalk likes this.
  18. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

Until the temperature changes.

ESW. likes this.
  19. billboneys

billboneys Supporting Member

Waiting for Fuzzr to chime in. He'll tell you all you need to know.

20. 0010 0001 0011 1111 1110

0010 0001 0011 1111 1110 Member

My experience was, as some have mentioned, not a practical pedal for what I play. I gave it a go twice, and although it's a really fun pedal to play with, it sat basically unused, due to its temperamental nature. But I agree that it's one of those pedals that you have to experience. Buy used and you won't loose any money if you decide it's not for you.