Never played through G12-65s til tonight...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDW3, Jan 22, 2012.

1. JDW3

JDW3 Member

...and I bought them on the spot!

I found an ad in CL for a quad of matched 1979 G12-65s, like new. They have the Marshall sticker on them. Original solder joints and wire. I had just finished band practice running a '74 Marshall SL through my 2x12 V30 cab. My ears were ragged. I stopped by the guys house and plugged the 100w beast in.

The tone just buried my V30s. I use an attenuator with the V30s, and half the reason is to compress the treble spikes. The 65s were nice and smooth, unattenuated, all the way up. Never heard my amp sound so good. They were mounted in a rugged 3/4 ply Ross slant cab. I may just put casters on it and call it good.

All this for $300!

2. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Wow you lucky bum, picking up a nice vintage set, enjoy! After a long speaker search, I ended up with new heritage G12-65's. I think it workes well with my Strat b/c it helps makes the strings sound thicker.

3. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I have two vintage ones in a 2x12 and four in a 4x12 -- I love them!!

BTW, along with amp Guru Guy Hedrick, we did a side by side comparison with the vintage ones and the heritage reissues (2 exact same cabinets, same amp, etc.). They sounded very much alike. Don't get me wrong, I love the vintage ones, but the reissues are excellent too.

4. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

To me they are great for taming the topend without making an amp sound muddy,
    They still have that celestion greenback/blackback snarl ,if you will, just darker,
    Great choice for bright JMP's , Matchless's that have that really open complex
    topend that you want to keep, but just tamed, Love em.
    Bt

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

huh. 50w or 100w? and this is a 4-input, right?

i haven't heard that combo, but i luv 'em under my '78 100w 2203 master volume marshall. they tame the sizzle these amps tend to have and let me push the volume and treble controls on the amp a bit for more life without killing my ears (and getting the band fired). i use a pair of heritages in a compact open-back cab.

6. JDW3

JDW3 Member

It's a 100w NMV. It's very bright and I didn't want to alter the amp; I suppose I could swap out the bright cap.