• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Never thought I'd say this but I think I'm getting bored w/ the MLJR

JrB

I've had the memory lane Jr for about a year now. I tried almost every tap tempo delay under $200 before settling on the mljr. It sounds amazing and the functionality is perfect for a live setting. I just find that I am sometimes wanting something with a little more character, for lack of a better term. Something that can do more washy type stuff. Maybe I just need to add something else with it. I'd love to try the El Cap and I think they'd go well together but I can't afford another $300 delay ATM. Would I regret selling my mljr to get an el cap? If I were to add another delay it would still have to have tap. One of my favorites of the delays I've had for the sound I'm missing is the Marshall echohead in the tape mode. My complaint about it is it had some reliability issues. Any suggestions?

randykenepp

Maybe a Catalinbread Belle Epoch or Echorec to pair with it. Or cheaper you could do the Line 6 Echo Park set to a dark analog delay to help smear the repeats a little. Throw in some verb and you can get a great wash that stays right under your signal.

Class5

The last time someone said, "Never thought I'd say this but I think I'm getting bored....", a man touched my leg.

:eek:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Add a carbon copy. Or switch to a Quantum Leap (love mine). Or both

zzzzzzz

Gold Supporting Member
Only because they're not putting any effort into the relationship.

Focus on the playing, not the gear. ;)
Agreed. So many of us here on TGP have trained ourselves to get used to the norm of always acquiring new gear.. so even if you have amazing gear after a while your mind wants that excitement of getting something new again.

...it is seriously like a drug. Focus on the playing

JrB

I don't think I'd use the non-delay features of the quantum leap and I'd want more than 600ms. I know the 'is tap really necessary' debate could and will go on forever, but me personally I need it. I have to have my delays synced even for the washy type stuff, and in a live setting that requires tap. I've considered both the empress tape delay and the echo park. I had an echopark and it was my only delay for a number of years. Unfortunately I had an early version and I got tired of the noise issues. I've thought about getting a newer version to pair with the mljr and see if they truly fixed the noise. And yes I probably should just focus on the playing but hey this is TGP

RSRD

Love the MLjr. Love the El Cap. Different cats. The El Cap is definitely more fun to play with. The MLjr is a beautiful delay though.

I thnk the Empress Delay would be a good call for you. More like the MLjr to me but still very fun and lots of great sounds. Of course, if you want washy nothing beats a Timeline. But that's a big price jump. I think its an awesome investment though and you'll always get your money back when you sell it. They can be found for 400.

thecomposinator

Silver Supporting Member
I love how someone has a legitimate question and a bunch of people COMPLETELY discount what he thinks and callously says, "dude you're obviously too focused on your gear! You idiot, get focused on your playing!" Meanwhile they themselves are taking time out music playing to scour an obscure forum looking for threads to type such comments. Only on TGP do you get fear snobs who are snarky about questions about gear.

Drak

No way I'd change it out, there are too many inexpensive, small, but decent delays you can marry it up to to combine it with for a rainbow of sound colors.

I have a (digital) Mooer ReEcho sitting right next to my Jr.
Young pedals makes an analog one, but he hasn't had any stock for awhile now, don't know what the story is with him, but I'm sure there's others out there w/ a small footprint that you could marry the Jr. up with for some delay spice.

your name here

Gold Supporting Member
Agreed. So many of us here on TGP have trained ourselves to get used to the norm of always acquiring new gear.. so even if you have amazing gear after a while your mind wants that excitement of getting something new again.

...it is seriously like a drug. Focus on the playing
Absolutely agree. I've finally managed to pull together my dream pedalboard and can't imagine any other changes I would possibly want to make. So what am I doing now? Trying to convince myself that it's a good idea to put another small board together. You know, for grab n go, leaving at the practice space or guest jams... Lol.

The thing is, the board I just finished was designed to be as compact and light as possible so I would never feel the need to build something smaller in order to carry when I was feeling lazy.

It's an addiction.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
I didn't and don't regret selling the ML Jr and keeping the El Cap. I had them side by side for awhile, but the El Cap was just more versatile. Now I have a Memory Lane 2 paired with the El Cap. The battle is on! =D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

JrB

I love how someone has a legitimate question and a bunch of people COMPLETELY discount what he thinks and callously says, "dude you're obviously too focused on your gear! You idiot, get focused on your playing!" Meanwhile they themselves are taking time out music playing to scour an obscure forum looking for threads to type such comments. Only on TGP do you get fear snobs who are snarky about questions about gear.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I try to let the snarky comments go. Admittedly , with working full-time and having 3 kids 8 and under, it does sometimes feel like my hobby is not playing music but in fact obsessing about gear.

jawajt

I believe the Memory Lane Jr.2, which was shown at NAMM, has some new bells and whistles. Maybe look into that, when it drops. :dunno

Trending Topics

Top Bottom