New 11 rack or 2nd hand Axe Fx

Twiggy

Hi guys,

I've recently come into a bit of money and I'm thinking of scaling down my rig for touring purposes since my amp and pedal board combination is a pain in the ass to try and fly with.

So initially I was just looking around for a cheap second hand G-System to play with but I came across the Eleven Rack and a second hand Axe-Fx going for roughly the same price (the Axe-Fx is a bout $500 dearer).

I wanted to know what people thought of both these units, the Axe-Fx I'm looking at isn't an "Ultra" or "II" it's the original. If I could I'd just buy a brand new Axe-Fx but that's out of my price range right now.

Like I said, this is mainly for out of town shows that I have to fly to and I figure a great little recording toy. My band plays prog rock/metal similar to Tool, Karnivool and Cog.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

drwiddly

The 11R is a good unit but the 1st gen Axe FX are most definitely a step up. They'll also hold their value better should you decide to move up to an Axe II or KPA in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you get an Eleven Rack, be sure you have the Expansion Pack. You should be able to find a brand new one, minus ProTools, on eBay for $375.

The cool deal with the 11R is that it takes pedals exactly like an amp. I've not had that same kind of luck with the Axe-Fx or the KPA, running pedals in front. This is one thing that the 11R seems to do better.

Are the amp models as good? Depends. Maybe in some ways they are on par with the first gen Axe-Fx. Certainly not as good as the current Axe-Fx II. But I would bet you'd find them more than useable. Keep a couple of good gain pedals and use the 11R just like an amp. It's a cool and very inexpensive fly rig.

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
The 11r is a good unit (caveat: IMO you really need the expansion pack). It wasn't necessarily my favorite and I prefer the AxeFX Std that I currently have, but they are both worth trying out if possible. I would take the 11r over anything I've tried from Line 6, Boss, Digitech, Vox, or Zoom. I'm actually having some issues with my recording interface and may replace it with an 11r at some point.

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
If you can swing the Axe Do it, If not go with the 11R there is at least $500 More Value and usefullness in the Axe.

B Money

I didn't like the 11R at all, very poor for high gain....
11r was horrible.
I won't debate the merits of a first gen AXFX vs the Eleven Rack, but responses like this make me really marvel at how people hear things differently.

I've been very pleased with the sound of my Eleven Rack (high gain or otherwise) and it just boggles my mind that anyone would call it "horrible".

Either my ears are terrible, or some folks can't dial in a good tone for themselves.

rublalup

I won't debate the merits of a first gen AXFX vs the Eleven Rack, but responses like this make me really marvel at how people hear things differently.

I've been very pleased with the sound of my Eleven Rack (high gain or otherwise) and it just boggles my mind that anyone would call it "horrible".

Either my ears are terrible, or some folks can't dial in a good tone for themselves.
+1 :horse

And I´m one of the folks that can´t dial in a good tone by myself... fortunately there's a lot of rigs out there that are very good foundations to tweak.

darkknight91

Ignore the trolls and cheerleaders on either side. Just try out what gear you're interested in. People's opinions should be qualified. If they can't play their way out of a wet paper sack, why would you trust their opinions on tone?

Last edited:

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
If saying "an Axe sounds better than a 11R" is just an opinion, then so also is "a MIM Strat sounds better than a Squire".

Just Axe anyone but don't Axe for more than you can handle!

Squeakys

I have one and it is an excellent unit for the price. I am currently planning to purchase an Axe II or Kemper (with Kemper being more likely since it is available for purchase and meets my needs). I'm keeping the 11R to use as a Pro Tools dongle and as friends/bandmates frequently come over to the house to try out new material having a second unit around will be helpful.

Not really an even comparison given the differences in price - obviously the Axe should (and does) offer more tonal options.

Steve Dallas

If saying "an Axe sounds better than a 11R" is just an opinion, then so also is "a MIM Strat sounds better than a Squire".

Just Axe anyone but don't Axe for more than you can handle!
You might be surprised at how many of us have sold off our Axes and kept our 11Rs (without it being about the $$).

Trending Topics