• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New 1973 Telecaster Day! **PICS ADDED**

Matt Novak

I posted here yesterday about a local ad for a ''70's Telecaster'' at a very low price.... the description in the ad was obviously cut-and-paste from Fenders marketing for the recent 70's reissues.. but the blurry pics showed what appeared to be a standard tele with 2 added mini humbuckers - well, I went and had a look at it last night and it came home with me.

Here are the details:

Its been stripped and refin'd in black - not by a pro, but it looks ok - plenty of laquer checking and a few chips - looks like it was stripped down to the plastic grain filler then blown over in black nitro. Whoever did it put a slight forearm contour on it too. The neck is 100% original, maple with rosewood board, 2 string trees, pearl dot markers, 70's F-branded tuners... Bridge and bridge pickup are original, control plate knobs etc are too - There has been a microswitch added to the control plate. Input jack is original. I haven't checked the pots yet. It has 2 x mini-humbuckers installed which are 70's Gibson ''PAT Stamped'' units with the braided leads. The widening of the neck route and the added middle position have been done to a pretty high standard - not a swimming pool and not just with hammer and chisel. 4 bolt ''F'' neck plate dates to 1973.

The guy selling it said it had belonged to his father who played in a few bands here.... I plan to reinstate a standard pickguard and neck pickup, and have 2 x Gibson mini humbuckers left over....

Based on the above, how much do you think this is worth? If anyone is interested I'll upload some pics later (at work presently)

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Last edited:

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
hmm, well the body contour and refin and pickup routings and even the hole in the control plate really knock off a lot. A mint version gets you over $4k these days, but if you can snag over $1500 for your example, that's doing ok.

Matt Novak

Thanks for the info Jahn - I live in Ireland so factoring that in I think I should be able to get around the $1500 mark should I decide to sell. I'll still have the mini humbuckers left over too...

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
PM me if you ever want to part it out. I LOVE those 70's necks. I have a great 74 Tele that has a neck repair (strange, I know). The repair is solid but the neck is kind of thin for my taste. It just sounds so good that I can't get rid of it. A rosewood fretboard would be killer on it.

Matt Novak

Sounds cool man-any worming? Original case? Great find IMO
Yo E.Z. - Saul just sms'd me to say 5 bottles of Carinena are waiting for us :)

There is slight worming - but it has chime, spank, grit and woody overtones so I'm not too worried.

Mojo sent.

E.Z.

Dude wishing tons of buttery mojo in that-good score! See u at the crossroads for the carinena:)

Matt Novak

Cheers all. Hopefully it'll be up and running in the next few days and I'll let you know how it sounds!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom