New 1x12 speaker cab - speaker choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lespaulspecial, Jan 25, 2015.

1. lespaulspecial

lespaulspecial Member

Hello
    I want to build a general speaker cab for three different amp heads. When I get some projects done, I will have a newish Laney gh50l (w/ 5881's), an older Peavey Classic 30 (w/ el84's) and a '66 Ampeg Gemini 1 (w/ 7591's) to run this starter cab with.
    The speaker I would like would be transparent (doesn't color the sound or have much in the way of breakup modes), capable of both clean and overdriven sound, rated for at least 70 watts @ 8 ohms. I was thinking of an Eminence EM-12, or a Weber California (w/ paper dome) or?
    I play mostly blues, classic rock and some distortion, ie. classic punk. So, my tones are anywhere from clean to moderate plus distortion.
    I'm kinda of looking for a first cabinet to work with all these amps. Whaddaya think? Thanks for any input.

Cheers, Mike

2. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

Weber Ceramic BullDog 50W lightly doped
    or
    Tone Tubby Red Alnico

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like you are describing an EVM 12L.....!

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd look at Steamboat Hemp 100. Do a search, you'll find heady fan Jim's post about them. All advantages of hemp (well defined bass, smooth mids, never harsh on top) added to a classic Celestion lead tonal response.

[​IMG]

Also the ev12L or clone sounds right up your alley. Look at new WGS clone. 200w, you ain't gonna get no speaker breakup out of these.
    [​IMG]

5. lespaulspecial

lespaulspecial Member

Thanks for the replies, gents! Interesting comments - EVM12L, WGS12L are in the ballpark, but, to me, the Eminence EM12 would win performance, price wise and availability in that specific catagory. I'm up here in Canada and cost, etc. is a big factor. These speakers are all very full sounding (but balanced), efficient with low or no breakup mode; which is what I'm looking for. The Weber Bulldog (Blue Dog?) suggestion was interesting, but, I'm looking for more of an efficient, clear, transparent speaker, like the California or maybe a Michigan from the Weber manufacturer. It just seems that the California speaker, even with the large paper dome, won't handle medium amounts of distortion too well. Hemp cones sound very interesting; I will look into this. Cheers, Mike

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yep - both great speakers for almost all applications.

The EV type speakers are a bit faster on the attack and punchier, but I find the frequency response is too wide for my needs; a little too much sizzle on the top-end and the low-end kinda overlaps what I'd call bass-player territory. Considering this, I keep selling my EV's every time I pick one up - I just can't justify the extra cost and weight. Weight is a big factor for me since I drag my rig to gigs and practices three times a week. Considering that, efficiency is also important; I want all the power I can get in a small package.

I've owned a good deal of speakers and the Steamboat really does it for me because it is balanced, light, loud, full-sounding, smooth and punchy. Its balanced in the mids: not scooped like an American speaker and not ear-fatiguing like a V30 can be. Hemp cones are always smoother sounding than paper, but sometimes also darker sounding - the Steamboat is smooth, but just as much treble as a paper-cone speaker.

Don Vito likes this.
  7. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I would go with the WGS12L , very nice and balanced speaker .

8. rummy

rummy Member

It had to be this one for me.

[​IMG]

9. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Important note : The newer EVM's are made in Mexico now , don't know if they sound the same as i've only owned the U.S. made EVM12L Classic reissues.

10. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

You asked for a speaker that will sound good with 5881, el84, and 7591.
    I've tried enough 12" speakers to fund a 3rd world country.

Had Tung Sol 5881s in my Blues Deluxe. C12B was the best speaker for that amp.

For el84, the celestion blue is still my favorite, but I like the Weber ceramic far better than Weber alnico.

Ampeg Gemini I with 7591s is one of my favorite amps !!!!
    Best speaker for it is the C12B 50W lightly doped.

11. lespaulspecial

lespaulspecial Member

Hi, ES330 - The Gemini I is an amp I have yet to really experience. I've played a couple of gems and rocketreverbs that weren't mine. Right now, the chassis has been sitting in a box. I found it at a swap meet for dirt cheap years ago, bought it for a song ($10 - $20, I can't remember). Fired it up, it works, but, needs work. Definitely electro cap job, probably output tranny, three prong cord, maybe other cap and resistor replacements. Fliptops, here I come!

I've checked out a lot of the posts with regards to blue check Ampegs; I was going to build a combo cabinet for it, but, now I'm thinking about using it as a head to mix and match different cabs and speakers with it. My chassis is a '66, so, it's either 20 or 22 watts, depending on what literature you believe. Has the original tubes, which check out strong; at least on my Mercury 1000 tube tester. I'm just waiting a little longer to get the bench going in the garage as we start to warm up now.

I just want to prime it up to good working order and then we'll see. Some judicial mods may be in order, maybe. I'll be asking many questions about it from all the knowledgeable and experienced players of these Ampegs. I've got plans for this baby....

Cheers, Mike

12. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

The WGS alnico Blackhawk 100w is not the most efficient out there but one of the sweetest sounding i've had. Highly recommended!