New 2 volume Ultimate Attenuator in the house!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GAT, Oct 31, 2005.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Just received a two volume footswitchable Ultimate Attenuator. You can basically set two volumes (it has two volume knobs) and footswitch between them. The cool thing is, you can set one volume for zero attenuation and the other for just a taste of volume reduction. Like having a soundman! I only had about 15 minutes to check it out but it seems very transparent and I love the fact that the reduction is not preset in detents like other units. I own or have owned Komet and Dr. Z Airbrakes, THD, Altair and Marshall attenuators. I know this isn't a true attenuator, but I don't care, it sounds great. If it doesn't tomorrow night after rehearsal, I let you all know. :cool:

2. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I'd be interested in knowing your findings. I've been running an Airbrake that I am really happy with on the first couple clicks. But for more attenuation, it is way too anemic sounding.

Wish the Ultimate wasn't so dang expensive.

DId you get it direct? How long of a wait?

3. GAT

Alright, I have used this with and without a band situation. I think it sounds great! Mark installs the plexi option as standard now, adds more life to the sound.

First, before I get a ton of "it's not really an attenuator" posts, I will use the word attenuation describing a quieter volume. You know the drill...

I used it through a Komet Constellation into a Marshall 4x12. Volume one was set all the way up, no attenuation for solos and Volume two was set about 2-3 db lower. Sounded great with the band, no noticable difference between the two volumes tone wise, except a bit quieter. I really don't need to lower the volume much in my band, just a bit during non-solo playing.

The plexi circuitry makes the amp sound more alive, the sound is almost dull when you bypass the unit or take it out completely, amp straight into the cab. Weird, but I like my amp's sound more with the unit on, even when not attenuating.

When really attenuating drastically, there is a tonal change, but it seems to be more a function of speaker interaction, ie. the speaker isn't punching out the sound and less bass due to less watts pushing the speaker. It takes more wattage to produce bass. I have a Dr. Z and Komet Airbrake and the tone definately changes more with them at subtle to extreme attenuation levels.

It is my favorite attenuator. I also checked it out with a Bruno Super 100, Sex Amp, Komet 60, and Matchless Phoenix, all with similar results. It is not cheap but now I can sell another Dr. Z. The fan keeps things very cool, even with the Super 100. No weird noises, pops, nothing.

I have a gig this Friday and will post the results if things are different on stage, but I doubt it, my band plays at the same volume at rehearsal. :cool:

4. GAT

BTW, I bought it direct and it took about 3-4 weeks.

5. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Thanks for the report GAT. This was what I was hoping to hear.

Did you get the Super UA for higher wattage amps? I'm figuring the regular Ulti isn't best for amps like the K60 and Super 100.

Also: I am familiar with the Komet Connie volume... what kinda settings are your v's at for a typical gig?

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have been spooked by the 32 ohm impedance of the thing for a while now. I wanted to use it with some vintage Marshalls when it occurred to me that I could run a separate parallel load in the second speaker jack and there by present to the amp a load significantly less then the 32 ohms of the Ultimate. The separate load reduces the volume of the amp by itself about 3db meaning the Ultimate only sees half the wattage now so a super Ultimate would not be needed and it would run cooler which can be a problem. The load I made from parts purchased from Weber for less then $10. I don't think it sounds any different and I am much less worried about the extremely high impedance mismatch.

7. GAT

Jemlite,

I run the Connie's Vol 1 on about 11-12 o'clock and Vol 2 on about 9:30. I have another Connie arriving today so one will be setup for strats and the other for humbuckers. For Strats I run the cut on about 11:00 and off for humbuckers.

908SSP,

That sounds like a cool idea. What parts did you use?

8. 85db

85db Member

I tried running my Weber Mini-MASS connected to a second speaker out along with my speaker cab for exactly the same purposes -- overall volume reduction. The amp did sound quiter but it killed some treble and overall 3D-ness. I don't really understand why. The load inside the MASS is a real speaker motor and so to the amp it must look just like another speaker...

I'm also looking into getting Ultimate Attenuator for my Marshall 6100. I'm wondering why some say it's not a true attenuator.

9. GAT

Its not, its a reamper. I don't care, it works very good. I just saw Sheryl Crow on TV and Peter had 2 London amps with two UA attenuators.

10. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Load resistors listed in the amp electronics resistors. I use the 16ohm 50 watt.

The Weber mass is not just a silent speaker there is also a big old load resistor inside. If it was a single speaker coil 16 ohm 100 watt and you used it with your 16 ohm 100w cab the volume drop would only be 3 db.

Has anybody tried the Richter attenuator from Motherload yet? I have one on order.

11. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

When do you expect it? Please let me know how it turns out. I have heard their emulator sounds amazing...

12. 85db

85db Member

> The amp did sound quiter but it killed some treble and overall 3D-ness. I don't really understand why. The load inside the MASS is a real speaker motor and so to the amp it must look just like another speaker... >

This was exactly my experience. I got the Mini-MASS strictly as a load and was disappointed.