New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RolandKorg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. amorica

amorica Member

I need to try that pedal especially since I also run my dirt pedals last in my chain after delay and right into the amp, Fairfield makes some fantastic gear. They seemed like the company that once you buy one pedal you want the whole line. I really dig the raw enclosure look on their pedals and that their always thinking outside the box especially since I stay away from the standard tube screamer type pedals. Thanks for the tip!

2. pugnax

pugnax Member

Yeah, they are really just on another level as far as dead-simple, analog effects are concerned. I’ve got a Shallow Water, Accountant, and Modele B and only have 7 pedals total on my board. Can’t recommend any of those effects enough, and they play really nicely with the Twin imho.

amorica likes this.
  3. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

Finally home from work. Wife thinks I should try it out to see if it works. Plus the box is humongous and she doesn’t want to keep the box in the house if we can toss it. Gotta listen to the wife...

lstone, ford, Danzego and 3 others like this.
  4. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

Haven’t had much time with my new TMTR but it sounds pretty sweet to me. I’ve never played a valve Twin Reverb other than at a music store at really low volumes, but this Tone Master certainly offers tones that sound like the DRRI that I used to own. Not sure about the reverb. Seems different than I recall on my old tube amp. Sounds good, but the tail just seems way too long.

At this point all I’ve done is a little noodling to test various things. Need some time to play it at decent volume. But she’s definitely a keeper.

ford and amorica like this.
  5. amorica

amorica Member

Awesome, and congrats! Was going to mention you might want to open it in case you wanted to return it for any reason. I'm willing to bet that Fender will offer different reverbs when they get rolling with the firmware updates. I'm hoping they offer a bias tremolo. I like the tremolo it came with but personally just prefer bias instead of the opt. Sounds like you have a great wife! :)

6. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

She’s the best!

She is perplexed, however, as to why I need such a big and loud (not to mention expensive) amp for what I do, which is limited to playing solo in the basement or jamming occasionally with my son who plays the drums. But that’s just it; this amp suits those needs perfectly.

If I’m just down there by myself I can drop the watts but still have the Fender tone I’ve been chasing with other amps. And when I want to play some surf music with my son pounding the drums, I can run it at full 85 watts and stay clean over his drumming.

The TMTR really is the perfect solution for me and I don’t see myself selling this anytime soon in the future. I now own a quintessential surf/rockabilly amp with the ability to play it in a variety of sonic situations. Couldn’t be happier.

(And so long as I don’t crank it up to really loud volumes when she’s home, the wife should be happy as well.)

ford, pugnax, amorica and 2 others like this.
  7. pugnax

pugnax Member

omg i'd love this so much

amorica likes this.
  8. HD77

HD77 Member

Does anyone think it would be crazy to try out some neo creambacks in this amp? Fender released a twin with the creambacks a while back. I would like to take off some of the high treble on the vibrato channel...

I think I may prefer the tone of the creambacks, especially with overdrives, but not positive, and they are pricey speakers. But I am not sure the speakers in the tonemaster can be switched out.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    presence likes this.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Member

I bought a TMTR about a month ago, and have now played it a few times with a big band, at band practice and for an outdoors gig. Very pleased with it so far.

i will not compare it to the real thing (which I only played once, as a backline amp - and loved), or to my trusted Rivera Jazz Suprema 112 (a different animal), but will take it for what it is. I use it as a clean platform and play it mostly clean and with no effects other than the onboard reverb. Occasionally, I will add pedals for overdrive, clean boost or delay. Apart from the sweet tones, here are the very practical things that made me go ahead with the purchase and contribute to making it a winner for my own applications and environnement:

- lightweight, and yet a 2x12! Although significantly smaller, I need my two hands to carry the Rivera any significant distance. Only one hand is needed for the TMTR. That’s one less trip to the car.
    - high power for these big band outdoors gigs, but with a range of attenuation levels
    - universal voltage! I live in a world where half the gigs will be UK 220V and the other half US 110V. No need to carry a transformer anymore, just swap the power cable.
    - line out with cab sim... much better than the sound tech plugging my pedalboard into a DI box and into the PA like many like to do here
    - amp legs. No need to carry an amp stand anymore.

Sounds good and makes my life easy. Win.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    ford, Lef T, blackba and 7 others like this.
  10. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

The speakers can be switched out, but I believe it was mentioned in this thread by someone with Fender that doing so will void the two-year warranty.

I am borrowing a friend's TMTR for a week, and the first thing I looked into before plugging it in was the speaker wiring. I was ready to rig up some cabling to two JBLs, but the connectors on the amp's speaker leads are crimped onto the tabs on the speakers. The connectors don't slide off with a firm pull.

Anyway, because it would be too invasive to disconnect the Jensen speakers, I won't be yielding to temptation. And I don't want to void my friend's warranty! I understand Fender's concern—they designed the amp to only see a 4-ohm load. I hope they will either enable the amp to run at 4, 8, or 16 ohms, like Quilter does, or at least stop child-proofing the speaker connections ;)

Today I played the amp for a couple hours with some backing tracks and loved it. Tomorrow I'll be playing it for a few hours with a band. In a few days I'll share more of my impressions about the amp.

blackba, HD77 and amorica like this.
  11. HD77

HD77 Member

Yes, thanks for that. I realized the same thing when I tried to disconnect the wires from the speakers, but I wasn't aware of the 4 ohm requirement. Its kinda the only thing I really don't like about the amp so far--being able to easily swap speakers would be yet another big advantage, especially without tubes/transformers in the way/ oh well.

12. 83stratman

83stratman Member

The ICE power amp module can handle 4, 8, and 16 ohms.
    https://icepower.dk/download/6591/

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Probably couldn't find it, but one guy earlier in the thread mentioned that he rigged up a connection and ran his TM (don't remember which one) into a speaker cabinet. Maybe even had a clip or two posted. At some point I want to try that, not only to try my TMDR with other speakers that I have, all in other combo cabinets, and also the TM's speaker with other amps. I've done that in the past with other amps out of curiosity, though it never convinced me to actually swap any speakers. I'm aware and am careful of ohm and wattage ratings, not accidentally running an amp without a load, using speaker cable, and other issues related to not damaging anything! Of course it doesn't exactly demonstrate how a speaker will sound in another combo amp, different cab, but I think it will give you a pretty good idea.

I do wonder though, why Fender has taken a pretty unusual step with the way they've wired the speakers into the TMs. They seem to be cautious about something. Hard to imagine it's to cut costs, they've been doing it with a jack forever.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Having been a Roland Blues Cube user (both Artist and Stage), I’m guessing it has more to do with voicing the amp to get optimal sound with those speakers. Generally when the company works hard to deliver a specific sound via a package which includes software, the speaker(s), being a crucial component, is fully factored into the sound, and therefore hardwired in.

15. Klahye

Klahye Member

Finally... had the opportunity to try one of these out (the Deluxe). Like many, I’m a full-on tube amp guy with an extreme fascination with and love for tubes themselves. And given all of the noise around the new ToneMaster line, I’ve been chomping at the bit to try one of these out.

I had the opportunity to do just that yesterday and ... I have to say, Fender hit this one out of the park.

The Deluxe sounded GREAT! The attenuation options are super useful and I definitely want one of the Twins now. And that’s a pain in the ass... as I’ll probably have to sell off a great (tube) amp to make room for one of these.

A 35 (or whatever) pound Twin Reverb? SOLD. My only reservation is around durability and consistency. Will the amp still sound great 5 years from now—as the tech continues to change? Probably- but it’s a relative unknown. I realize there’s the opportunity for “program updates” and such—which could be a big positive.

It’s a new paradigm and a little bit unsettling. But the SOUND is there, in a fantastically designed package and at a reasonable price (IMO).

A game-changer? Probably so...

ford, blackba, Scooter and 10 others like this.
  16. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Im sold too.. I put my order in for the Twin at our local store it might take a month or so witch is ok as I own plenty of amps..

I play Steel and guitar and I need two channels w/ headroom...

ford, amorica and dellerton like this.
  17. AnthonyF

AnthonyF Member

I've been seriously considering a TM of late. After digesting the reviews and youtube videos, insofar as how close the tone is to a tube version, I've come to several conclusions.

1. To me they sound at least 95% of how real DR/TR tube amps sound for clean tones, edge of breakup and driven and in the context of a mix or a band in a live setting the difference in tone will be negligible.
    2. They sound great clean and to edge of breakup through the XLR with the cab sims as well.
    3. The only area they seem a bit deficient is when driven through the XLR with cab sims which may or may not be able to be compensated for with EQ and Gain (pedal) adjustments?
    4. That which has been stated repeatedly here and elsewhere is that no two vintage tube amps will sound all that similar to one another.
    5. Another is that we don't know what era of vintage amps in Fender's archive they used for modeling.
    6. Issues #4 and #5 got me to thinking about the fact that everyone's hearing is somewhat different and I wonder how much of a variable that has been in how people have been expressing their opinion of the TM's tone they've heard via on line videos?
    7. In regard to how they respond to pick attack, etc., is their any latency involved (even a minute amount) between the time a string is plucked and the CPU processes the sound that might account foe some of the criticisms in terms of 'feel" or is that not an issue with this tech?

I really think I see one in my future.

ford, Oriondk and dellerton like this.
  18. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Why would you expect the amp to not sound (outside of speaker break in and maybe somewhat electronics break in) the same in 5 years?

19. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I just played one of these today at GC. Compared it directly with a new DRRI. I can honestly say I was pretty blown away. I’ve never been a fan of any modeling amps in the past, they never felt right to me. This new series from Fender really feels like a tube amp. Of course I haven’t taken it on a gig and use it in the real world but it sounded really killer in the store. I can’t believe how light they are as well. I may have to pick one up just to see what they’re all about.

ford and dellerton like this.
  20. Scooter

Scooter Member

No. It feels like playing through any other amp. As for the "feel" thing, it feels no different to me than a tube amp (and I have one sitting next to it for comparison, a 68 Custom Vibrolux).

thatguyoverthere and amorica like this.