New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RolandKorg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Peppy

Peppy Member

I have and gig a Katana. I have played both TM models. What the TKs bring is doing that one main thing...Fender clean...so well. The Katana is not about that. Add the TMs' attenuation, the light weight, relative simplicity, and no maintenance and there is the appeal. The only "struggle" left is those guys carting a tube Twin to gigs.

RodTruss likes this.
  2. Lodon

Lodon Member

Hmm....for one thing on a digital amp there's no such thing as attenuation, it's just a master volume. There's no need to attenuate a digital amp because it has no tubes.

Does the TMTR really do cleans better than the Katana or Nextone to the point where it's worth paying double and losing everything else the Boss has? Also what about pedals? A lot of people choose Twins as a pedal platform and digital amps famously perform badly as pedal platforms...?

Gig Young and OPENYOUREYES like this.
  3. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Just exactly what is your agenda here? There are 216 pages of answers in this very thread to all your ignorant, redundant, and obtuse rambling.

4. amorica

amorica Member

Exactly, try one out and decide for yourself.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  5. Lodon

Lodon Member

I'm asking whether anybody has anything to say about this as a pedal platform, also how it compares to other quality modellers....I have a lot of questions about it but I don't want to sift through 216 pages of emojis...if you don't like that maybe try a different thread?

6. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

Yes. Having owned all three of the amps you reference, I can say that my TMTR does Fender cleans better than either the Nextone or Katana can emulate. Much better. Do I care that my TMTR can’t also pull off Vox or Marshall-like tones like the Boss amps? No. And anyone who buys a tube amp doesn’t expect it to sound like something other than what it is. My TMTR does a great version of its tube counterpart and offers some nice bells and whistles as well. Was it worth the grand I paid for it for what it does? Absolutely.

7. Lodon

Lodon Member

I am not interested in owning one. I'm a tube guy, for me modelling doesn't come close. But I'm interested in gear and wonder who is buying these things. I don't know about the US, but in the UK digital modellers are seen as cheap, inferior versions for people who can't afford tube amps. I'm frankly shocked that this exists at the pricepoint it does and struggling to get my head around it.

8. Lodon

Lodon Member

OK thanks; what about pedals? Does it respond well to boosts/overdrive etc?

9. RodTruss

RodTruss Member

Yes the Tonemaster is vastly better sounding than the nextone and katana and thankfully they left out all the crap.
    And yes, the tone master is an excellent pedal platform.

you should hear it for yourself.

Peppy likes this.
  10. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

I haven’t used mine with any distortion pedals. I run a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive as a boost and an Aqua Puss delay pedal. Both work well with the amp. The Danny pushes it like I would expect. But, then again, that pedal works great with every amp I’ve ever put it in front of.

11. briwinters

briwinters Member

So far it’s taking them well but it’s still a work in progress for me.

My previous gigging amp had a hair of grit on the clean tones. A gig like I had last night I needed to cover a lot of different gain staging: strummy clean, funky clean, hair of distortion, driven Tweed or Marshally crunch, all with clean volume boosts when needed. Gain staging my current pedals is a different game when I’m hitting an amp with lots of clean headroom. Some of it working great, some I’m not as happy with, some still a work in progress.

I can say this: so far I’m not hearing any digital harshness or weird clipping with any pedals I’ve tried with my TMDR so far. And the more I use it the better my pedals are sounding overall. I’m sure with another month of gigs and experimenting I’ll have a more complete picture of the pedals pros and cons.

FYI, when you say that the ToneMaster attenuator is a master volume: I hear you, but that’s not exactly right. You’re correct that it’s not an attenuator like you’d use with a tube amp. But it’s also not a master volume. Master volumes traditionally effect the tone stack of the amp. An attenuator really doesn’t....you might perceive a difference because of volume differences but it shouldn’t effect the gain or actual EQ of the amp. That’s why an amp like the Roland Blues Cube and Boss Nextone has volume, master volume AND attenuator controls. Having the attenuator onstage with an amp is great when using the amp to go direct and also using it to.monitor yourself onstage. You can change the actual volume onstage as you need without changing the tone of what’s going to the PA....super useful.

blackba and Peppy like this.
  12. Lodon

Lodon Member

I think I will definitely try one out next time I have the opportunity to. Can't see me trading in my 30W class A for one but I am interested to try them; I used to play a 70s Twin foryears and I used to crank it so I'm in a good position to judge...

OPENYOUREYES, amorica and RodTruss like this.
  13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

The power switch, I've posted before, works better than any traditional attenuator with a tube amp at lower settings that I've ever tried. Attentuators start to lose it as the wattage setting is reduced. While there is no substitute for the moving air at higher actual volume, the power switch stays pretty faithful as you get down. Maybe the lowest is a little weak but overall it's a huge feature of my Tonemaster DR and at least as important as the weight reduction, to me.

I assume it's similar in the Twin, but I've yet to even see one in person. And the weight reduction is of course much more of a factor with the Twin.

Peppy and dellerton like this.
  14. orogeny

orogeny Member

i've been eyeing up the nextone or a tmdr. how do the cleans compare?

dellerton likes this.
  15. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

so you are more into the ‘psychology’ of gear, as opposed to gear you may actually be interested in using yourself?

On a more general note, the TM really really does seem to have become some sort of existential threat that has TGP on its ear. Lol

it’s so odd to me how those that really have no interest in the product seem compelled to find faults (ie it’s only modeling one amp, it doesn’t sound as good as the amp its modeling, it’s overpriced, it doesn’t take pedals well, etc.)...

I guess it’s the whole tube vs modeling debate in a different form - except, in a twist, this one doesn’t fully satisfy some of the digital players who clearly see the number of amp models/sounds (setting aside quality) as a benchmark.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Lotus, Scooter and Peppy like this.
  16. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

Love my TMTR, one of the best amps I’ve owned over the last 55 years. It inspires me to play. But now that I’ve revealed myself to be a “boomer” it should make it easier to be dismissive of my opinion. Fire away, but I’ve got music to make.

COYS, No457 Snowy, RodTruss and 2 others like this.
  17. Peppy

Peppy Member

I had a 1970 Twin since new. Cranked it at my gigs. For years. (No longer possible to do such where I practice and where I perform.)
    A/Bed a Silverface and a RI with the TM. Much prefer the TM. (My reasons stated in my previous response to you.)
    Speaking of "being in a good position to judge".......which I hate doing as a stereotypical trait of an old guy: Room for tube Twins and room for TM Twins in my view. As long as I am happy with my tone my audiences definitely are.

amorica likes this.
  18. amorica

amorica Member

I think a lot of people perceive tube vs solid state/digital as an "all or nothing." No one is required to turn in their tube amps in order to buy or even try any of the new tech. Im looking at the Dr Z Jetta as we speak. But I'm an "no absolutes guy." (Hybrid and Moderate "usually" mean open to new ideas in my eyes)

I will say, the TM Deluxe wasn't enough for me to check these out, as I already had a 68 CDR. Although its not 24 lbs., the Deluxe size and weight never bothered me. Additionally my Karma Suture Germ & Camel Toe do me right at any volume for dirt. My HX Effects do the rest of the work.

The Twin on the other hand sparked it for me. I've had numerous Original and Reissues Twin Reverbs and a 67 Dual Showman that I played for years. Like many, loved the tone but not the weight. When I heard the TM Twin tone, how much it weighed, and it was $300 to $500 cheaper then any of the new Twins I decided to take the plunge. (Especially with a 30 day return policy). Imo, There's just something about a large powered 2x12 that's my thing. That in no way means I have to be loud, its the fullness that Twins give, again the 2x12's in a descent sized box and at 33 lbs. Hit it with a Tele and I'm home! No apologies on the cosmetics either, I dig it!

I've toured with Original & Reissue Fenders and have been playing since I was 13 and am now almost 50. Vox's or Marshall just don't do it for me, never did and I've had them all. Vox's are to finicky with pedals and Marshalls have never been reliable for me, but that's just me.
    Happy New Year Folks, hope everyone has a fantastic new year!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Peppy likes this.
  19. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

as it should...geez...thats why it cost what it does.

20. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

well it seems in usa a ton of people are buying them as stores are out of stock alot. I played one and while it was ok i would rather have a tube amp at the price.