New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RolandKorg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I doubt if Fender will make a TM PR next, but who knows. The main feature of the TM amps is their lighter weight so I think the next model will be a Super Reverb.

blackba and amorica like this.
  2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

It's all idle speculation of course, and I am doing it for fun as much as anything, but I don't think a Princeton is different enough from a Deluxe Reverb that it will be Fender's next choice. I'm also not sure that a TM Princeton would be much lighter than the TMDR.

I think they chose the DR and TR combination to represent two ends of their lineup, in size and power. Not the lowest power nor the highest, but towards those two ends of the spectrum. That's why my guess is the next up will be in between, whether BF or tweed. Though, that said, a tweed high power or low power Twin might not be a bad idea for them either.

3. stevieboy

You do know you can check the website for what's in stock where, right? You should still call before driving a long way, but I find it to generally be pretty accurate.

Gig Young likes this.
  4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Check the website first, it'll show whether the store has it in stock or not. If it says they have it in stock, then call them to confirm, and get the name of the person you talked to. I speak from experience.....

The GC employees can be pretty clueless. When I went to pick up my TMTR, the website said they had it, I called and the guy confirmed it, then when I got to the store they claimed they didn't have it and had no idea who I had talked to. Unfortunately I didn't get the guy's name but I pulled out my phone, checked their website that showed they had it in stock, showed them their own website, and basically forced them to go find it. Half hour later they magically found it.

drennen and Gig Young like this.
  5. amorica

amorica Member

I would think the common sense approach would be to start with the heaviest amps first, but since they came out of the gate wit the Deluxe I figured they were taking the corporate numbers approach in which amps sold the most. But like you said its all speculation, but man its fun to speculate. lol

6. stevieboy

The one I'd most like to see--brown face Vibroverb. But I think anything brown era is going to be way down on the list, if they even make the list at all.

amorica likes this.
  7. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I see a super Reverb Tone Master in the future.. :D

Peppy and amorica like this.
  8. Redrum

Redrum Member

I have definitely noticed the speaker break in with my TMDR. I've played it pretty hard for 4 months now, much of that time with a band at both 12 and 22 watts. I pretty much keep my volume between 4.5 and 5.5 on all the power settings as I find that the sweet spot.

The speaker seems quite a bit smoother in the top end now. At first the speaker seemed a bit spikey and even strident in the top end but those characteristics have pretty much disappeared at this point. I even find I'm turning the treble up higher than I did when I first got it which would be consistent with the top end mellowing out.

Strangely, the amp now seems like it has a softer feel to it. Seems to have a bit more elasticity to the string/note attack. I can only attribute this to the speaker breaking in - it's not like I swapped out a GZ34 rectifier for a 5Y3!

So yeah. Speaker break in has indeed changed the tone of the amp (for the better) and it doesn't feel quite as stiff as when it was brand new. YMMV.

9. amorica

amorica Member

S
    Awesome and thanks for the info! That's good to hear your happy with he break in. Nothing worse than putting time in with a speaker and it loosens up to mush.

Redrum likes this.
  10. stevieboy

If we had an office pool for next one out and I drew the SR, I'd feel pretty good about my chances. Not a lock, but top three.

Gig Young, Peppy and amorica like this.
  11. amorica

amorica Member

I'd stick with the Princeton. Sells a ton and might fit in the big to small choices, Twin being the Papa bear. And to be honest the Princeton is still loud for a home amp. But that's just my "corporate cap" thinking.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Peppy likes this.
  12. Bassopotamus

Bassopotamus Member

the cab on a super is also going to be a little heavier since it’s bigger

13. Bassopotamus

Bassopotamus Member

I’m late to the thread and apologize if this has been addressed, but do you run any od/distortions/fuzzes with yours? I’m looking for a light and loud gigging amp, and while I’ve always had tube amps, these new fenders are kind of intriguing to me.

dellerton and amorica like this.
  14. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

I think the next mustang/gt amp thing will likely be even worse tone wise as to not compete with the tonemasters.

15. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Yeah? Uh...no.

16. Redrum

Redrum Member

Both the TMDR and TMTR take pedals well. Some folks feel the TMTR is a better pedal platform as you can turn off the bright switch to make it friendlier with OD's and distortion pedals but I haven't tried a TMTR yet so can't really compare. I will say that my TMDR takes my pedals well and I have no issues with my Greer Lightspeed, Suhr Eclipse, Barber Direct Drive Super Sport, MXR Badass OD or Boss BD2 running into it. Modulation and delays sound fine.

Bassopotamus and amorica like this.
  17. Peppy

Peppy Member

What I heard from a salesman at a guitar store.

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Haha!

19. Peppy

Peppy Member

Yeah but.......watch this space. Fender headquarters is right up the road. I'm saying Super Reverb, Princeton Reverb, and yes, a tweed.

Rod likes this.
  20. Dumpy

Dumpy Member

Once they are done doing their legacy amps they might want to consider doin a higher gain amp. I'm thinking they could do something akin to a Dumble Overdrive Special. They're based on Fender amps anyways ;).

presence and amorica like this.