New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RolandKorg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Danzego

Danzego Member

Okay, let’s do reading comprehension. You said, “how long is it going to be before Vox/Korg and Roland/Boss (just to name two) get there and start releasing units that do multiple amps (and effects) instead of just one?”

They’ve done precisely that and have been doing so for years.

As for it being close to TM quality, that’s completely subjective, isn’t it? Plenty of people adored the Valvetronix series when those were around. The Katana line is hugely popular right now, with a lot of people swearing by them. That’s not even getting into the Nextone series or, heck, even the Roland Cube series (which has been around for AGES and has been wildly popular and enjoyed by notable artists). Ask people who liked them and they would tell you they were “close”. So you’re going to imply what you’re asking for doesn’t exist because neither of them have been “close” enough? Well, what IS “close enough” and why do only you get to make that call?

Not only does what you’re talking about already exist and has for years from a hardware perspective, but the rest of what you’re talking about is an argument based on a fallacy based on what you and you alone deem “close”.

Anything else I didn’t “comprehend”?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    OPENYOUREYES likes this.
  2. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

Well, if you think it's so subjective I guess you could survey all the people who are lining up to pay 9-10 bills for a one trick pony and ask them why they didn't buy a Katana instead, lol.

And, instead of trolling this thread, maybe answer the question seriously, which again is about what is Fender's game plan for when other companies start doing BFTR and BFDR as well as the TM's for lower prices with more features? It's going to happen.

3. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

that, I haven't tried.

I don't really do much high-gain...ive done a Rat sim, Klon into TS, and Tube Driver - they all pretty much behaved like one would expect going into a Twin

4. Danzego

Danzego Member

Again, who is to say what “as well as” is? There’s that subjective quality that apparently only you get to judge.

Also, disagreeing with you is “trolling”, eh? Riiight.

Back to FACTS: the amps you’re talking about do exist and have for years. Maybe you don’t think they sound “close enough” but that doesn’t change the facts. Don’t know what to tell ya, bud. :dunno

Hell, here’s a comparison between a TMTR and a Boss Nextone:

Not close, you say? Of course, many will prefer one over the other, but to say they’re not at least “close”? Whichever anyone may prefer, I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with you there.

5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I've owned a Vox Valvetronix. It was crap. I have zero interest in a Katana. I own a Nextone which is quite good but is for an entirely different purpose than something like a TR. I owned a Blues Cube Artist - the top of the line for that product line. I hesitate to call it crap because so many people like them but in hindsight, I think it was in fact, crap. The Tone Capsules were a complete ripoff, the internal circuitry was horrible and did not work with my very simple pedal setup, the DI out was not even XLR and sounded like complete dog crap, etc...

The TMTR sounds like it's supposed to and with the exceptions I've noted, which could possibly be attributed to things like a different speaker and how the power scaling works, it is as close to a tube TR as I'd expect. The reverb is the best digital spring reverb I've heard, the DI out with actual IRs is amazing, and the power scaling, while not exactly being real attentuation, helps me control the volume at home and gig levels. Do I still think it should be priced a little lower? Yep. But after getting a discount and an acceptable amount for an amp I traded in for it, I didn't have to empty my bank account to bring one home.

All that said, I agree with a lot of what you said and if you look at some of my earlier posts in this thread, I make some of those very same points. That said, from a consumer perspective, I don't really think it matters much. If Vox were to make a 30 pound AC30, that wouldn't change the fact that right now, today, a 32 pound Twin Reverb is something I can see myself using. There are no other practical options to the TMTR at the moment. Maybe in 2 or 3 years there will be but will those options be appealing enough for me to trade my TMTR for them? Maybe, maybe not. If they are, then I'll trade. If they aren't, I'll keep what I have.

This is the way consumer goods work. If you're always sitting around waiting for the next new, latest and greatest, you'll never have anything because there will almost always be something newer and better on the horizon. I spend $1K on a Galaxy S10 phone knowing full well that within a year there will be something newer and better that does it faster and has more bells and whistles. But so what? I wanted (in my case needed) a new phone and the S10 for $1K did what I needed at the time. I'll deal with the next new "ohhh..shiny" thing when it shows up.

Hoodster and amorica like this.
  6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Some people, including @Lodon and @The-Kid seem to be having a hard time understanding the TM amps so please read this...

They are digital copies of one amp, either a DR or TR and they give you the sounds of that one amp, not multiple amps like most other digital amps. Their sound of that one amp is as good and in most cases better than every other digital amp. In my opinion they do not sound quite as good as the tube versions, but they sound very close. And their other features, including an attenuator, a line out and no tube maintenance make them better choices for a lot of players, especially ones that gig frequently.

Their other great feature compared to tube versions, is much lighter weight. Players that carry a DR and especially a TR frequently really appreciate this. If you don’t gig, carry a DR or TR much, only play at home or are really picky about your sound, a tube version may be a better choice for you.

7. binkydognose

binkydognose Member

A 4x10 format makes sense to me for the next model because if follows the weight/speaker config path that the TM's have begun. Strictly sound wise, I now have a Joyo American Sound on 2 pedal boards, one for jams, and one on a big board w/a bunch of stuff for a trio. The joyo voices work great with the TMTR to get almost ANY Fender flavor with the twin. My fancy drives are off boards now, except a CTC Falcon on the larger board for brownface/tweedier tones a touch smoother & more compressed than the joyos.
    May seem weird to run a cheap pedal (I paid around $18 for each of mine) into this amp but it works really well. I had one to feed a Quilter 101 mini emergency rig.

8. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Nothing weird about it. The majority of my pedals are cheap pedals. Between $20 and $50 with only a few exceptions like some Xotic pedals and a couple of EHX organ pedals and a few others. Other than that, mostly cheap Chinese pedals that sound every bit as good as the more expensive ones they're clones of or inspired by.

binkydognose likes this.
  9. Peppy

Peppy Member

Post of the thread. The whole entire 1,357,638 posts/3997 pages thread.

Figaro likes this.
  10. stilwel

stilwel Member

Try the Tomsline Plexion.

11. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Also, you can now buy US made vintage silverface TR’s for around the same price and sometimes less than used reissues.

HD77 likes this.
  12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Is that the same pedal as the Rowin, just in a different box? I was looking at the Rowin too.

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Don't see the point in calling back the debbie downers who have at least for the time being stepped away. :dunno

14. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

How much to pay someone to carry and move it around for me?

Bassopotamus and Moody Tuner like this.
  15. amorica

amorica Member

Having a Tweed and BF on one amp especially at this quality would be amazing, but I would have to respectfully disagree. I believe they will stay model specific
    We were all taking a guess if we were going to do an "office pool" of what we thought would be next. I personally would like a Tweed Twin as my wish. But as I said in my previous post I think Fender will release TM versions based on numbers as what sells the most, hence the Deluxe, Twin, and the Princeton. Yes the Princeton is small and 34 lbs, but the Deluxe is not much bigger. And yes, the atteunator would help on any of these amps.
    I'm loving my TMTR as the size does not bother me in the slightest, especially since I get to feel the air of 2x12's.

presence and Figaro like this.
  16. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

:aok I think the TMTR with its attenuator is definitely a better choice than the TMDR if size is not a problem.

amorica and guitarman3001 like this.
  17. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Exactly why I (and so many) no longer have one. And also why the TMTR’s sales are equal to (or better?) the TMDR.

18. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

exactly..its all subjective so noone is right or wrong.

19. briwinters

briwinters Member

Sometimes it’s challenging to follow a thread like this and not jump right into the back and forth some people seem to get into. I find things I agree with and disagree with from pretty much everyone, just like in my life offline. Without tagging anyone I’m going to toss my two cents in on a few things. All just my opinion...

-Sound quality is subjective. It’s not for me to say a TM is better or worse then another amp to someone else’s ears. I’ve got my opinion and it’s not everyone's, totally get it.

-There are some key features of the TM line that ARE provably an upgrade from a Katana, Blues Cube, Valvtronics, Mustang. For example, the direct out for the TMs is an XLR (can run a much longer cable then a 1/4” out), runs complex IRs for speaker/mic simulation, has a direct out level control knob you can adjust without diving deep into any menus. If someone is looking for an amp they can gig under a bunch of different circumstances.... well, that’s a key feature that’s worth considering. Not going to point by point all of those features, but yes there are others that are provably upgrades from lower end modelers. Whether they are worth it for your needs, not for me to say.

-Value for money.....for me, this is where is gets tough. I can see how if you compare it to a classic tube amp it will devalue at a much more rapid pace. It’s the nature of the beast. But just my opinion: for me it would be like saying “don’t buy that smartphone, the one you REALLY want will be out in 3 years and cheaper then the phone you buy now”. I have amp needs right now for gigging and home use. The TMDR is going to meet those needs right now and for at least a few years.It's my decision to spend the cash and use it today rather then wait for next gen products, but can totally understand it’s not the decision others would make.

-And for all that say “it costs too much”....I hear you. Does anyone own a Boss Waza Craft amp in here? The head is still up on Sweetwater's site for like 2600 bucks...yikes! Arguable that the R&D that went into the Waza Craft directly lead to the Katana. And that the R&D that went into the Blue Cube line directly went into the Nextone. It’s the nature of the technology beast and yes, it’s different then tube amps at this point. So if/when Fender or someone else releases a similar modeling amp with improved features and cheaper I’ll mutter under my breath a little bit and then try to get over it quick. I’m feeling like I made an informed decision on what I bought right now and I’m good with it.

Finally, big thanks to all in this thread who’ve contributed their hands on experiences and knowledge of this line. You helped me a lot in decisioning the product and continue to provide valuable info as I begin gigging it. Cheers to all.

20. amorica

amorica Member

I've found the sweet spot for me on the TMTR to be
    V6 - T7 - M6 - B5. Thats with the higher attenuater settings, 12 on up. My pedals do the rest of the work. Using my Tele knobs for clean up etc..

One thing I noticed as when I'm playing home levels on the 1 watt setting, I almost prefer TMB eq all on 10 as the amp breaks up much sooner. Even with just 1 watt the TMTR can be loud for home levels when trying to push the amp, so this helps keep levels down while getting into the break up zone.

CptSensible likes this.