New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RolandKorg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Silver Supporting Member

Are the prices MSRP? If street prices are around $650~$700 that's much better. I don't think $899 is way too high, it's a little to high. If the product delivers

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

The Twin's street price is $999. I think the DR is $899.

JasonElGato likes this.
  3. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I'm really hoping the local GC gets both of these in so I can evaluate and compare. Ours is a pretty small store as GCs go though, so I'll probably be lucky if it isn't months before they get one of them.

4. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Any demos with pedals yet? Still haven’t seen a release date on these either.

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Some of the big box stores are now saying Sept 14th. Others just say "on the way".

As to the pedal question, refer to posts by the Fender guy (ricks57custom). He said they've put them into the hands of some pros and all agreed they responded exactly like the originals, including the response to their pedals.

mbell75 likes this.
  6. ricks57custom

ricks57custom Member

Just a follow up about this: Yes, the bright cap is there like the original. However, the great thing about this amp is that the bright cap starts to lessen by the time you hit 5 or so on the volume knob and because of the attenuation you can crank up the amp a bit and dial in the attenuator volume you need so that it doesn't interfere with your overdrive. That's where the Deluxe (and most Fender amps) really start to shine anyways. Hope this helps!

pluck, navier, monkeybike and 3 others like this.
  7. ricks57custom

ricks57custom Member

I kick in the Pugilist overdrive at about 4:00 in this video. Might help you out.

8. jds22

jds22 Member

So I just realized ricks57custom is Rick Heins. :facepalm

[​IMG]

Can't wait to try one of these amps.

mbell75, stilwel, Lef T and 1 other person like this.
  9. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

Hi Rick,

Thanks for being involved in this thread.

Can you clear up some confusion about where the amps are made? I’ve seen a lot of posts around saying they are Made in China.

The amps appear to have Made in China on the back panels on the Fender website. In the NAMM videos you guys are saying Assembled in Mexico. I assume all the electronics are from China and the pine cabs and final assembly is done in Mexico?

Tritone likes this.
  10. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Out of curiosity, why does it matter?

11. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Actually it matters to a lot of people but shouldn't be a discussion for this thread. Cheers.
    Edit - it probably is relevant, it just usually turns into an argument.

12. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

The answer was in the question - because they have seen vague or conflicting info and would like some clarity.

13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

No, that is not an answer. However, as Ryno said, perhaps we shouldn't go there in this thread.

14. jamester

Agree to disagree.

I am going by what was actually written in the post, which was a fair and non-biased question. Seems you and Ryno are the ones "going there" by bringing negative implications into it...

Lef T likes this.
  15. Tritone

Tritone Member

I think I will get the Deluxe. For me the real killer feature is the built-in IRs in the line out. From the clips I've heard it sounds just as good as mic'ing the amps. Silent recording is useful for me, and I have a reactive load box and some IRs, but my setup does not sound nearly as natural as the direct out clips I've heard from these amps. Very exciting!

16. jamester

Apologies if this was covered already but I'm assuming the normal channel does not have the bright cap, like a real DR?

Your point about the attenuator is fair, however a DR turned up past five won't be clean anymore...

17. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Not sure how you worked that one out: It was a perfectly innocent question: why does it matter where it is made?

If the answer is "I have concerns over quality control of Fender-made far east products, or I like to keep the carbon footprint of my purchases down", then great. If you are reading anything into my question then that is you, not me, and I can't help that.

Your response was simply answering a question with another question.

18. jamester

Both you and Ryno mentioned "not going there", what does that mean then?

The guy asked for clarity on where it is made, nothing more nothing less. Is that not a fair question? He detailed that he read/saw conflicting reports between China and Mexico, and wanted clarification.

monkeybike and Lef T like this.
  19. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

The reason I asked the question is that I’m buying one. Regardless of where it’s made. I’m just curious because there’s conflicting info out there.

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

I am all over the place currently ... had kind of decided one of the Tonemasters would be mine at some point. I've always liked blackface tone and yet have never owned a Fender amp ... that might well be a bucket list item.

But I would need drive, delay and looper pedals, plus a small board to accommodate those ... plus a power supply. That's starting to add up. Somewhere around AUD$2.5K minimum.

Then I researched my way into realising I could get Helix amp and effects power in HX Stomp (ie from the top shelf of the current modellers) and run it through a Power Cab Plus to get amp-in-the-room, with backing track playback via FRFR simultaneously as an added bonus. That's a huge array of "amp" tones and effects, including Fender blackface. With some change out of AUD$2.5K.

My dilemma is that I love the simplicity of just plugging into an old-school amp interface (the Tonemaster).

I guess I am just going to have to try them both ...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Axe-Man and Shades of Blue like this.