• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

JasonElGato

Are the prices MSRP? If street prices are around $650~$700 that's much better. I don't think $899 is way too high, it's a little to high. If the product delivers

bluegrif

I'm really hoping the local GC gets both of these in so I can evaluate and compare. Ours is a pretty small store as GCs go though, so I'll probably be lucky if it isn't months before they get one of them.

bluegrif

Any demos with pedals yet? Still haven’t seen a release date on these either.
Some of the big box stores are now saying Sept 14th. Others just say "on the way".

As to the pedal question, refer to posts by the Fender guy (ricks57custom). He said they've put them into the hands of some pros and all agreed they responded exactly like the originals, including the response to their pedals.

ricks57custom

While I agree with you about the bright cap on a deluxe reverb not working that great with some dirt pedals when the amp is at low volumes, the super reverb bright cap is of a different value than the one always on in the deluxe reverb. The one on a deluxe reverb is more subtle than that on a super reverb.

With both the deluxe reverb and the tonemaster version you can always use the underrated normal channel.
Just a follow up about this: Yes, the bright cap is there like the original. However, the great thing about this amp is that the bright cap starts to lessen by the time you hit 5 or so on the volume knob and because of the attenuation you can crank up the amp a bit and dial in the attenuator volume you need so that it doesn't interfere with your overdrive. That's where the Deluxe (and most Fender amps) really start to shine anyways. Hope this helps!

monkeybike

Just a follow up about this: Yes, the bright cap is there like the original. However, the great thing about this amp is that the bright cap starts to lessen by the time you hit 5 or so on the volume knob and because of the attenuation you can crank up the amp a bit and dial in the attenuator volume you need so that it doesn't interfere with your overdrive. That's where the Deluxe (and most Fender amps) really start to shine anyways. Hope this helps!
Hi Rick,

Thanks for being involved in this thread.

Can you clear up some confusion about where the amps are made? I’ve seen a lot of posts around saying they are Made in China.

The amps appear to have Made in China on the back panels on the Fender website. In the NAMM videos you guys are saying Assembled in Mexico. I assume all the electronics are from China and the pine cabs and final assembly is done in Mexico?

Doomrider78

Hi Rick,

Thanks for being involved in this thread.

Can you clear up some confusion about where the amps are made? I’ve seen a lot of posts around saying they are Made in China.

The amps appear to have Made in China on the back panels on the Fender website. In the NAMM videos you guys are saying Assembled in Mexico. I assume all the electronics are from China and the pine cabs and final assembly is done in Mexico?
Out of curiosity, why does it matter?

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
No, that is not an answer.
Agree to disagree.

I am going by what was actually written in the post, which was a fair and non-biased question. Seems you and Ryno are the ones "going there" by bringing negative implications into it...

Tritone

I think I will get the Deluxe. For me the real killer feature is the built-in IRs in the line out. From the clips I've heard it sounds just as good as mic'ing the amps. Silent recording is useful for me, and I have a reactive load box and some IRs, but my setup does not sound nearly as natural as the direct out clips I've heard from these amps. Very exciting!

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Just a follow up about this: Yes, the bright cap is there like the original. However, the great thing about this amp is that the bright cap starts to lessen by the time you hit 5 or so on the volume knob and because of the attenuation you can crank up the amp a bit and dial in the attenuator volume you need so that it doesn't interfere with your overdrive.
Apologies if this was covered already but I'm assuming the normal channel does not have the bright cap, like a real DR?

Your point about the attenuator is fair, however a DR turned up past five won't be clean anymore...

Doomrider78

Agree to disagree.

I am going by what was actually written in the post, which was a fair and non-biased question. Seems you and Ryno are the ones "going there" by bringing negative implications into it...
Not sure how you worked that one out: It was a perfectly innocent question: why does it matter where it is made?

If the answer is "I have concerns over quality control of Fender-made far east products, or I like to keep the carbon footprint of my purchases down", then great. If you are reading anything into my question then that is you, not me, and I can't help that.

Your response was simply answering a question with another question.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
If you are reading anything into my question then that is you, not me, and I can't help that.
Both you and Ryno mentioned "not going there", what does that mean then?

The guy asked for clarity on where it is made, nothing more nothing less. Is that not a fair question? He detailed that he read/saw conflicting reports between China and Mexico, and wanted clarification.

monkeybike

Not sure how you worked that one out: It was a perfectly innocent question: why does it matter where it is made?

If the answer is "I have concerns over quality control of Fender-made far east products, or I like to keep the carbon footprint of my purchases down", then great. If you are reading anything into my question then that is you, not me, and I can't help that.

Your response was simply answering a question with another question.
The reason I asked the question is that I’m buying one. Regardless of where it’s made. I’m just curious because there’s conflicting info out there.

MartinC

I am all over the place currently ... had kind of decided one of the Tonemasters would be mine at some point. I've always liked blackface tone and yet have never owned a Fender amp ... that might well be a bucket list item.

But I would need drive, delay and looper pedals, plus a small board to accommodate those ... plus a power supply. That's starting to add up. Somewhere around AUD$2.5K minimum.

Then I researched my way into realising I could get Helix amp and effects power in HX Stomp (ie from the top shelf of the current modellers) and run it through a Power Cab Plus to get amp-in-the-room, with backing track playback via FRFR simultaneously as an added bonus. That's a huge array of "amp" tones and effects, including Fender blackface. With some change out of AUD$2.5K.

My dilemma is that I love the simplicity of just plugging into an old-school amp interface (the Tonemaster).

I guess I am just going to have to try them both ...

Last edited:

Trending Topics