New 2020 Guilds

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluescube, Jan 9, 2020.

1. bluescube

bluescube Member

1) X-350 Stratford in Scarlet Red – $1,499 Street • $2,100 MSRP

"Guild expands its Hollowbody offerings with a new take on the X-350 Stratford.
    First offered in 1954 as one of Guild’s top of the line models, the three pickups X-350 Stratford returns today as elegant as ever. Full hollow-body construction using an elegantly arched Spruce top and spruce tone bar bracing give the Stratford it’s iconic airy tonality, while the three Franz P90 single-coil pickups give this guitar a world of tonal possibilities from biting growls to airy chime. Intuitive controls make navigating the tonal pallet of three pickups a breeze, using a traditional three-way pickup selector for the Bridge and Neck pickup and a designated volume knob to blend the middle pickup into any configuration.
    Complimenting the variety of tones available from the X-350 is a Guild Vibrato Tailpiece for expressive playing. Other premium features include fully bound body, neck, F-holes, and headstock, mother of pearl block fretboard inlays, a hardshell case, and a beautiful Scarlet Red finish.
    "

[​IMG]

2) X-175 Manhattan Special in Malibu Blue – $1,499 Street • $2,100 MSRP

"Guild’s X-175 Manhattan Special debuts Classic, White-Top, DeArmond Dynasonics, and a Sporty New Finish. The precedent for Hollowbody aesthetic and tone, the X-175 Manhattan Special looks as good as it sounds. With its gracefully sculpted and richly resonant hollow body, arched spruce top, and rock-solid three-piece neck, it exemplifies the quality building of the Guild Manhattan model of the 1950s and ‘60s. The secret to this model’s iconic tone lies in the authentic DeArmond Dynasonic neck and bridge pickups, providing crystal clears highs and a full, round low-end – the makings of the iconic tones of rockabilly and blues from the 1950s on forward. Complimenting the variety of tones available from the X-175 is a Guild Vibrato Tailpiece for expressive playing. Other premium features include fully bound body, neck, F-holes, and headstock—along with mother of pearl block fretboard inlays and a hardshell case. Available in a special edition satin Malibu Blue finish."

[​IMG]

3) Starfire I

"Guild launches the Starfire I, bringing their world-famous Starfire to a more accessible platform. The new Starfire I family takes the iconic Starfire Double Cut and Single Cut body shapes into the modern era with new models and colors. All Starfire I models feature the appointments any gigging or recording musicians requires, including a tried and true Tune-o-Matic bridge, premium Guild Vintage 18 open-back tuners with 18:1 ratio, an easily accessible 12” radius Rosewood fretboard and thin U neck profile, a traditional three-way toggle switch with dedicated volume and tone controls, and push-pull coil splitting for each pickup. An injection of rich, vintage tone is provided by Guild’s own HB-2 Alnico II humbuckers featured on all Starfire I models, giving this semi-hollow bodies a professional tone from the start. For those looking for something a little extra, the Starfire I GVT comes equipped with a Tune-o-matic bridge and Guild’s Vibrato Tailpiece for additional tonal versatility. Guild’s engineering team worked tirelessly to bring the classic aesthetic and road-ready quality that has been synonymous with Guild to the new competitively priced Starfire I platform.

From left to right:

Starfire I SC GVT Seafoam Green – $599 Street • $835 MSRP
    Starfire I SC Antique Burst – $499 Street • $695 MSRP
    Starfire I DC GVT Pelham Blue – $599 Street • $835 MSRP
    Starfire I SC GVT Snowcrest White – $599 Street • $835 MSRP

Starfire I DC Cherry – $499 Street • $695 MSRP
    "

[​IMG]

4) Guild Aristocrat

"Guild Guitars is excited to expand on the seminal M-75 Aristocrat by introducing three new solid-body models this Winter NAMM. The M-75 Aristocrat was first introduced to the Guild line in 1954 and reissued in 2013 in response to players hankering for the aesthetics of a single cut electric, but with the tone of a full hollow body. Because of its popularity, Guild is introducing the Aristocrat P90 in Vintage Sunburst with a carved spruce top, the Aristocrat HH in Trans Black Burst with a carved flamed maple top, and the Aristocrat HH in Snowcrest White with a carved maple top. These models feature a chambered body (rather than the M’s fully hollow body) for feedback resistance and a comfortable weight. Franz P90 pickups give the Aristocrat P90
    a low, gritty growl perfect for rock, R&B, and every genre in between, while the Aristocrat HH features dual Guild HB-2 Standard sized Alnico II humbuckers with push-pull coil-tapping. Other premium features include a bound fingerboard, block inlays, and quintessential Guild harp tailpiece.

Aristocrat HH Snowcrest White – $799 Street • $1,115 MSRP
    Aristocrat HH Trans Black Burst – $799 Street • $1,115 MSRP
    Aristocrat P90 Vintage Burst – $799 Street • $1,115 MSRP
    "

[​IMG]

2. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The X-175 is gorgeous.

DCross likes this.
  3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

4. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I like the Starfire I SC Antique Burst and Starfire I DC but I'm not real sure about any 16" guitar. Either of those in a 14" and I just might buy both!

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

These are really great guitars!!!

7. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

I’m not a big fan of the new Guild, but that blue X175 is delicious.

Also, the OP’s post looks awfully familiar...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Boogie92801 likes this.
  8. bluescube

bluescube Member

Franz P90 Aristocrat is on my dream list

9. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

I'd love to see a S-300D reissue .. Those were great guitars .. S-60 wasnt so bad either .. Rather liked it

10. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Gimme that antique burst.

Closest I'll get to Nugent without shelling out 6 grand for a Byrdland.

11. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

How close do the Guild humbuckers sound compared to vintage ones (I know that there are some differences in vintage).

12. mschafft

mschafft Member

They look fantastic but I find the line to be a mix of Gibson Fender/Gretsch and Dangelico. Apart from the proprietary tremolo what is really the Guildness in them. Pickups? School me if you please.

13. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

In a nutshell:

Guild has a long history. Basically, these are essentially reissues of guitars that were originally produced in the 50s and 60s. While the influence of other U.S. guitar makers of the time can't really be denied, Guilds really have their own thing going on, IMO, and their pickups and construction did/do have a big part of that. There is also an early Epiphone connection that influenced body style and construction.

I'm a huge fan of old Guilds. They are an interesting company, and one of the great U.S. guitar makers.

If you're interested, here is a brief history of the company.

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/guildstory.htm

Walter Broes and mschafft like this.
  14. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Oh my Lord... those first 2 hollowbodies are frickin' GORGEOUS :love:

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  15. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

In my experience not even close. The vintage HB-1 humbuckers already have something really special going on, but the new ones aren’t close to that same class based on the 6-7 guitars I’ve played with the new humbuckers in them.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Who is the contractor?

Wouldn't it be fun, if such guitars could be built in Rhode Island again?

17. mschafft

mschafft Member

Fascinating!! Thanks a lot!

18. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I dig the X-350 and would love one but would prefer blonde/natural or flames blonde/natural and no bigsby. I briefly owned an NS X-175 and really liked it aside from the pickups which sounded too hot and the bigsby. Planned to mod it for a harptail but sold it before I got around to it.

Here’s my Newark Street Aristocrat. I looked for one of these and got this at a ridiculously lower best offer price on Black Friday. First year model with the good hardware and hollow body. 5lb2oz. Just got it back from the shop. Had the wiring harness upgraded, pickups rewound (underwound 5%), black Guild knobs with gold inserts, gold locking Grovers and black pickup covers. This thing is now a real badass. Gigged it last weekend and couldn’t believe the improvements from before. Had a 58 Aristocrat years ago and this doesn’t compare to the vintage guitar but it’s still a great instrument.
    [​IMG]

Walter Broes, Pre-CBS and gerg6 like this.
  19. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I'm a big fan of Guild acoustics (I have four of them). These new electrics look mighty tasty! I might need to check them out.

20. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

New Guilds always make me happy.

[​IMG]

gerg6 and Boogie92801 like this.