New '57 Goldtop w/ wraparound bridge! (pics!)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shallbe, Jul 24, 2008.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I am a huge fan of the old Gibson wraparound tailpiece. I think that guitars with them sound bigger, louder and are more resonant. I also love how the tailpiece feels under your palm. I tend to feel more connected to guitars like these.

I already have a truly incredible '54 goldtop w/P-90's from 1996, and one of the first '54 Oxbloods from 1997. Being a sucker for a wraparound and a goldtop, when this became available I had to snag it. It is a 2007 '57 with the wraparound bridge, and was brand new, unplayed, with the sticker still on it and all the case candy/hang tag/certificate.

[​IMG]

I got the guitar last week, strung it up with 11's, tweaked the trussrod and used it for gigs this past weekend. THIS GUITAR IS THE BOMB! It was so loud I had to turn my amp well beneath where I normally have it. The neck rings like a tuning fork when played. The Burstbucker 1&2 pickups with unpolished covers sound amazing. The neck is clear and chirpy, the middle position is the best of any of my Les Pauls, and the bridge has the right combination of clarity, treble and guts. Tone and volume controls sound ideal, although feel a little stiff. It has the lightweight tailpiece and the best intonation of any wraptail I have ever played.

[​IMG]

Very dark and VERY smooth rosewood board. The Plekked frets are wonderful, and the neck is big. Everything is exactly what I wanted. I play clean at least 60% of the time, so a great clean tone is a priority. This guitar has it clean and dirty.

I have four other historics, but none recent until now. If this is representative of what Gibson is doing these days, they are making truly great guitars in the custom shop. This thing weighs 9 lbs. and is flawless.

[​IMG]

I took a chance buying it before playing, but it worked out big-time. The guy was a Gibson collector, and he knew this guitar was pretty special. Here it is leading the pack:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I'm not a lover of LP's but DAMN.... that is very cool.... congrats...

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

That's pretty freakin' sweet!!! :RoCkIn I love my R4 and I love my R9. That '57 Goldtop w/ wraparound is like the perfect combination of the two. Enjoy!!!

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

NICE Lester, Steve.

I've always been a sucker for Goldtops, and I may have to look into getting a wraparound bridge type. I have an '04 R7 with Wolfetone Marshallheads (even though the BB1&2 it came with are stellar as well).
    This guitar is a CANNON, also around the 9 lb mark, and sustains very nicely acoustically.

Congrats on a drool inducing tone machine! I can only imagine how big and bold you sound with that axe into your Matchless rig!

:cool:

S.
    j

5. shallbe

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm just over the moon with this guitar, so I had to share. I borrowed a decent camera, and the pics came out OK.

Playing this thing a very rewarding experience. Jato, it does indeed sound big and bold through the Matchless!

Here it is with it's other two wraparound siblings. Tone monsters, I tell ya!

[​IMG]

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

YOWZA! :drool

You're a lucky man.

S.
    j

7. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Hey Steve, congrats!! I'm glad you found one!!

8. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

LP57: "Does this wrap-around bridge make me sound fat?"

:)

9. shallbe

Mark! You are the reason I started looking. In another thread you had mentioned these guitars had been made recently. I was unaware of the '57 wraps and started looking. So, in a way you are responsible. Thanks!

The QC on this guitar is unbelieveable. Fit, finish, fretwork, woods, weight, nut, sonics---as good as it gets. I set up all my guitars, and am picky, but this one really surprised me. If it had been made just for me and to my specs, it would have been just like this. I'm a very fortunate guy to own another great instrument.

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful goldies Steve - CONGRATS!

The first vintage Les Paul I ever played was a '57 Anniversary Gopldtop w/ PAF"s, in '74. It's wrecked me for my whole life, what a great guitar.

I really want one just like that - Goldtop, stop bar tailpiece, and PAF's.

Congrats, looks great too, Dana O.

11. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Glad to be of service!!:)

12. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I've always been a wraparound and humbucker sucker myself.

That GT looks like a deadly combination.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Man, I love Goldtops.

Question though: Do all LP's have that gap in the pickguard at the bridge pu?

14. shallbe

All mine with humbuckers do. I'm not sure about the real vintage PAF LP guitars. I've played a few in the past, most recently an original 57 goldtop and a 59 burst, but I don't remember about the pickguard. Incredible guitars, though. The neck PU on the 59 was amazing, and the bridge PU on the goldtop was pretty special.

15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Congrats on that unique '57!

The gap in the pickguard comes from the pickups bing 2 3/8" apart instead of 2 1/4".
    My '98 R8 is like that.
    Some originals were too.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

You have great taste in guitars. Yeah, wraparounders are special; I like that P90 one! Sweetness.

17. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

On The LP Forum I've read some saying that they route for the humbucker from the wrong spot from where the P90 goes or something blah blah blah but on purpose... or something like that?

Cool guitar! Congrats.

18. shallbe

"Yes, honey. But more like Aretha Franklin fat than Mamma Cass fat."

:)

19. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Steve
    That makes me miss my Tonequest 54.What a killer it was too. The 57 looks better though,as I like the color more.Enjoy it.I know I would. Nothing beats a wraparound tp Lester.

20. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Very nice selection of Les Pauls! :)