1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New 58RI LP ???`s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 59model, Jul 22, 2006.

1. 59model

59model Member

Any opinions on the new 58 Historic Les Pauls? I really wanted a new plaintop, and the 58 seemed to be the only option besides the Classic, but I didn`t want a 60`s neck. I sprung for a new 58 with a gloss finish, not the VOS, as it was a custom order from the dealer I always do business with. It was $200 more than the VOS, so when coughing up this much $$$, I went for it. Price was $2495 for a honeyburst. Anyone else here using one and care to share their opinions? Thanks, I`d really like to hear from other plaintop users about the pros and cons on this model. Take care, Pete.

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Your gonna have to change your moniker to 58model now.........The FAQ is very clear about these things..........:D

Best of luck with it!

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

To me the R7 R8 and R9 are all the same guitars, except for the finish and figuring you desire. There will be small differences in neck shape but there are differences in neck shape within the same model. I played at least 4 R7's before buying mine and every one had a different neck, one was a HUGE D shape.

I hope you have the right of refusal with this guitar, you should always be able to play before you pay, so to speak.

$2500 is a good price for a new R8, especially considering the $200 upcharge. It should be a sweet guitar.

4. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I prefer the gloss finished LPs versus the new VOS LPs. I have an '03 R8 thats a great player. With the up charge, I agree with Mr. Hanky that you paid a fair price. The biggest neck I have ever played is my R4TQ.

5. 59model

59model Member

Thanks! I laughed my butt off when I read that. I`d change the monkier, but I`m the 59 model, that`s when I was born, LOL!

Good points Mr Hanky, I`ve been buying a lot of gear from the same dealer because I can send it back if I don`t like it. Plus I`m kinda cheap and always get the best pricing from him. But, I haven`t spent this much money on a guitar for a long time, except my CS336, as I almost always buy used.

6. karmadave

karmadave Member

I used to own a '58 Les Paul Plaintop. Great guitar, but I didn't care for the HUGE neck. Some likem' some don't...

-KD

7. Mr.Hanky

I LOVE the necks on my R4 and R7, once you get used to them there is no going back. But that is a matter of preference.

Let us know when you get that R8, did they give you a timeline?

8. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

where's the pics? top, back, etc.

9. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I bought an R8 just a few months ago...it was the tobacco burst model and it has a fairly large neck.......It came with the Burstbuckers (1 & 2), but I swapped them for WCR Goodwoods.....

The guitar is awesome....

To be honest...I prefer the plaintops over the figured tops....just my preference...

Also, IMO, if you are looking at the reissue series (R7, R8, R9, R0, etc)....I think the R8 is the best guitar for the money...

10. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Gotta agree with this guy. Give the guitar a good once over once you have it in your hands and if your happy with the QC take it and make some music!

:)

11. 59model

59model Member

Got the guitar yesterday afternoon. Nice honeyburst top and the grain on the mahogany is perfect. Wasn`t sure if I`d like the burstbuckers, but a quick roll off on the tone knob put a big smile on my ugly face, LOL! Setup was great out of the box. REAL low action with no buzz. First time buying a guitar that I had to raise the bridge to make bending easier. Good sustain and no dead spots anywhere on the neck. My Fuchs 30 was singing in every position. Now for the questionable; the side dot markers are under the finish, and a couple seem to be missing, as you can see the mahogany rather than the black dot. Is this a defect, or is it common on these? The neck joint shows a bit of glue under the clear as well. My friends new Standard doesn`t have these imperfections, if that`s what you`d call them, and it`s just a regular production model. None of these effect the playability or tone at all, so I`d hate to send it back, but do you other owners think I should try to negotiate the price because of this, or is this the nature of this model? It weighs in at 9.2 lbs. Thanks for your help. I`ll have a new battery for my camera tomorrow and will post some pics.

12. Mr.Hanky

Weird, I'd like to see that, especially the missing markers, never heard that before. They do use (celluoid?) pick type material for the fret markers so some can be lighter then others. I noticed that at a gig once when the lights hit the guitar.

As for the glue, no way I'd sweat that one unless it is really bad.

13. 59model

59model Member

Mr Hanky, can you check the board again tonight? I`m gonna run down to the store to get a battery for my camera and post some pics. I`d appreaciate your opinion on the dots as this is the 1st time I`ve seen this as well.

14. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Supporting Member

I've heard the side dots were made of some tortoise-shell-type material, it's not uniform color.

15. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

Yeah, side dot markers are tortoise, so some may seam to be missing, but they're probably there. Mine range from a black color to the same color as my SG to browns to swirls, etc. Might want to take a closer look at it.

16. 59model

59model Member

17. 59model

59model Member

18. 59model

59model Member

19. 59model

59model Member

20. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

Yeah those side markers look like mine, it's just the tortoise shell.