New 7 String

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, Apr 25, 2005.

1. SFW

SFW Member

I picked up a used Ibanez Prestige "S" style 7 String tonight at the local GC. I've owned a couple of Ibanez sevens a few years ago, but this one is a really great playing guitar. The finish is a dark metallic gray with bronze metal flecks in the paint. It looks very sharp. (I'll try to post some pics later.)

Anyone else still playing 7 string guitars these days?

2. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I'm about to start. We've a cheapo consigned at the store that has shown me that extended range is the way to go for me.

3. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Cool, congrats! How does this one differ from the Universe?

I like 7 string guitars alot! You can still play in standard tuning, but have that drop tuned "bonus" if you need it. :AOK

4. SFW

SFW Member

The neck on my "S" is slightly thinner (which works well for me... I have small hands, and the seven can be a stretch at times. The "S" has a solid mahogany (spelling?) body with maple neck with rose wood fretboard. The Universe is Basswood. I think the the "S" has a tighter more refined sound. It is very warm and punchy. Honestly though, I don't really like the way basswood sounds.

5. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Nice thanx for the report! I'll have to check one out.

What pickups are they loading in there?

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've been thinking about picking up a cheap or used 7-string to experiment with, see if I dig it. I'd love to just go balls-out and get a Soloway 7, but what if I suck at it? :)

A LOOOOOOONG time ago I borrowed a friend's Ibanez/Vai 7 to do some recording with, it was fun. Haven't picked one up again since then ... that was, oh, 1992. I did have a guitar tuned B to B for a while so I could play that 1 song live, but I gave that to a friend in '94 I think.

--chiba

7. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

I got an Ibanez RG7321 a couple of weeks ago. It's quite inexpensive (mine was $500 CAN new). It's my first 7 string and I absolutely love it!

I just put a DiMarzio Evolution 7 in the bridge this weekend and it just got better. The stock pick up was very hot but had some harsh top end and crappy sustain. The Evo has amazing sustain and a more natural EQ curve.

Everything I play on this guitar comes out better! I haven't touched my PRSi in over a week; which sorta worries me...

8. shoe

shoe Member

For a very long time I disliked basswood guitars......specifically Ibanez's. Then after hearing John Suhr swear by them (and the fact that EVH, Vai and Satch all love 'em) I was intrigued.....

Needless to say, now it's one of my favorite tonewoods. I really don't want to like it.....but it just sounds better to my ears than anything else! :D

Seriously though, I think that the pickups are the main reason why basswood sounded so poor to me in those Ibanez's.

9. SFW

SFW Member

I think that the switch isn't as hard as most people make it out to be. Once you get past the fact that your lowest string is no longer the "E" it's fairly simple. I will still use my Les Paul for drop d tuned songs that we play, but the extra five notes the 7 gives you are just super handy in some places.

The first time I played a 7 string- about 5 years ago- I did it at a show. It took me all of about two minutes to adapt to the extra string. I understand that it's not an instrument for everyone though. I just really like the flexibility that it offers. Not to mention that Ibanez makes one of the best Floyd Rose style bridges on the market.

10. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Nice post SFW. Yeah, pull that low B away and it's a regular 6
    string. I played mine for a little while looking at it that way and I
    got used to it really fast.

11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Hey do you have any pics>?

12. SFW

SFW Member

Here is a pic of the guitar. Sorry about the image quality... it's time for a new camera! It looks so much better in person.

[​IMG]

13. robmarch

robmarch Member

interest piqued.

14. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I think that axe is discontinued.

15. eaeolian

eaeolian Member

I think those are one of the better Ibanez 7 strings. I agree with not being much of a fan of basswood for 7 strings - mahogany and/or maple seem to give much better low B resonance, to me, anyway. (Or A string, in Mr. Soloway's case.)

Obviously, I'm still playing a 7. :)

I've actually thought about picking one of these up and switching the bridge for a 7 string OFR - I really dislike lo-pro trems - but I really like how the Sabre plays and sounds, as opposed to the Universe.

SFW, I've conquered your particular problem - all of my 7 strings are fixed bridge, so I use 'em for drop-D, too. You comments on the switch are true enough - once I got over the psychological hangup, there really weren't any mechanical issues...

Mike

16. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

The 7 string OFR seems to be one of the best kept secrets...

17. Josh O

Josh O Member

Ditto

18. adamquek

adamquek Member

I used to play an Ibanez 2027, which I eventually scalloped, and then sold late last year when I was liquidating most of my gear to acquire a Soloway 6 string :) I miss my 7 string but since the low B isn't an integral part of my style, I was willing to give it up for awhile. I've been gassing for a sweet 7 string for some heavy stuff lately though... I know Santiago Dobles from Aghora plays a Conklin 7 string, those Conklins looks SWEET as can be but the starting price is 3900USD. I don't, and quite possibly will never, have that kind of money, but a guy can dream yeah :)

19. adamquek

adamquek Member

On a slightly seperate note, apart from the Soloway and the Ibanez 1077 (which is now discontinued), most 7 strings that I see have a 25 1/2" neck. I doubt I would ever get a 7 string again unless it had a 27" neck, the 25 1/2 just sounds too flabby to me when I was using .10 guage standard string sets (granted I'm currently playing 12s but I don't think I'd like to string my 7 string up quite so heavy)

Jim, would you consider making some solidbody soloway 7 strings? I would be all over one of those like a rabid *****cat :p

20. adamquek

adamquek Member

Jim if you're serious I think I need to sell my soul... That's not economically viable for me but I promise in a couple of years I WILL be in touch regarding this.

Just a little edit with some ideas. I know somebody else who would kill for a 7 string solidbody swan if it had 24 frets and a cutaway to make the upper frets accessible for us Rawk guitarists :p