New A Perfect Circle album thoughts...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jlb32, Apr 21, 2018.

1. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Is that true? POD Farm? Wow. I do love the riffage on that album

2. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Truly, Shows what digital recording, processing, and editing can do. Showcase of editor.

3. james...

james... Supporting Member

Emotive was largely supposed to be a joke, somewhat like what Puscifer is, as stated by its creators. Nobody got the joke. I think people had boxed this band into whatever categorization they wanted it to be, and rejected Emotive completely as "crap" because it didn't fit their narrative of what APC was supposed to do.

4. james...

I've talked to multiple people involved on that record and who were on the tour.

Yes, essentially, every guitar tone on Mer De Noms is his guitar straight into a Pro Tools rig and slathered with effects. There's some rumor that the dirty tones on that recorded were recorded dry through his Naylor, but nothing confirmed. ALL the effects are from plugins though, and lots of them.

Thirteenth Step was more of the same deal. Very extensive use of TDM plugins and Pro Tools hardware. Plugins from Wave Mechanics are ALL over that record. It's very possible that the guitars were recorded raw amp, but ALL the effects are plugins. He poured plugin effects all over those albums.

Hilariously, he's been on record several times saying that it took a massive amount of rack gear to recreate all his studio wizardry live.

Case in point:

And yes, that is a Digitech GSP unit up top that literally only sat there for a single pitch shift effect he uses on Magdalena.

The arpeggio effect on The Hollow is a GRM plugin that is recorded 4 times over to create 4 passes of a ring mod type effect.

TheHumanAbstract likes this.
  5. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Emotive did turn out to be a joke, but I don’t think that was ever the intention.

I rejected it because it’s short on ideas and of course wanted some semblance of the first couple APC albums, which are actually pretty different to me.

6. soggy mittens

soggy mittens Member

Some nice lead guitar tones, but other than that I found it quite nauseating, Maynard's vocals sounded forced when he was singing more aggressively, like he recorded the vocals in a room where a baby was sleeping and didn't want to wake it up. >.>

7. luv

luv Member

I hadn't heard any of it. Just gave a couple listens on YouTube. Definitely a different flavor of APC. Not necessarily bad, but does feel soft polished and a little bit commercial.....based on first listen. I'd have to say I prefer their darker and heavier stuff over what I just listened to.

I just got 6th row Red Rocks seats to see them in October. Hopefully the new stuff will grow on me a little more by then, and hopefully they will play plenty of old stuff. It will be my first APC show.

Matteo11 and thrashmetl like this.
  8. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

I think it is terrible. Some songs sound like Trans Siberian Orchestra and others have chime and sparkle that are P&W like.

9. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Have not listened to the album all the way through yet, but I did see them at the Jimmy Kimmel show a couple of days after it dropped. They did a bunch of tunes, most from the album and I thought they were pretty damn good live.

10. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

I honestly think Maynard just turned this into the Maynard show like he does with everything else. The music is no longer the focus as with past albums, the focus is now on his voice. As far as his voice goes, there’s too much processing and the vocal Maynard-isms are becoming increasingly tiresom and annoying. Maynard forgot how to cater his voice to the music like he did with the prior music. The only song on the album that’s reminiscent of the older stuff is Feather which is a pretty good song, but it’s also the perfect example of the differences between new and old APC. It seems like they wanted to make it sound like old APC and you can put it side by side with any other song on the album and compare the difference in production style. The main difference is Feathers and old APC have a lot more Reverb. The new album is rather dry in that regard.

11. thrashmetl

Haha, perfect response, almost pissed myself.

12. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

it sounds like Imagine Dragons

13. james...

APC has always been the maynard show. It's literally Howerdel arrangements with his voice slathered on.

14. Lamby

Lamby Member

I liked it at first, but after a few listens it doesn't have much staying power. Agreed that the lyrics aren't up to much.

Also, it has a very anachronistic sound.

I suspect the songs would be better suited to live listening. Alas, no NZ dates on their tour AFAIK.

15. thrashmetl

Yeah, but his voice wasn’t at the very front of the mix before. I liken it to old Iron Maiden before Bruce left vs new Iron Maiden after Bruce’s return. Before it was an equal mix of talent, now the focus is just on the vocals and everything else is pushed back in the mix to accommodate. I wasn’t drawn to APC because of Maynard, I was drawn to APC because of the whole package. It was more of an ambient experience, now it just feels over produced and too polished. Now I really don’t like the music or Maynard’s voice. Maynard keeps getting further and further into stylizing his vocals which each new release and it seems like the main focus of his lyrics is Hollywood. I find both more and more annoying. I can’t totally blame Maynard though, Howerdel didnwrite the music which I’m not really enjoying much either. I think I would have enjoyed the Ashes Divide album more than this one if Maynard had sang on that one. Hell, even with Howerdel on vocals I think I like that one more than this.

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.
    In my opinion I don't think it is a bad album, but nothing like their previous work. It definitely feels a little less inspired and more created for the sake of.

jlb32 likes this.
  17. jlb32

jlb32 Member

That's kind of my feeling also. I don't hate it but don't love it. It seems like there is no direction, almost like it doesn't even need a guitar player at all. It's just to mellow overall IMO, not much variety, with lyrics that seem like they were put together just for the purpose of a new album to tour on. Doesn't seem like a lot of effort went into this new album after years of nothing, like the first 2 APC albums.

Maybe Maynard is just to hung up in his Arizona wine making lifestyle and over thought that he can't, or doesn't want to focus enough, to create good music anymore?

18. wetdripverb

wetdripverb Member

I’m still loving the new apc but I do see why typical apc fans hate it.