New A12Q on the way from the SpeedShop!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by corn husk bag, Apr 17, 2015.

1. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

2. neils

neils Member

I expect I'll get one and give it a whirl. I have two 1961 P12Q's now. I have no idea about their history and not sure I'd know rub or cone cry if I heard it. It would be cool to compare new to old.

FWIW I had a Tungsten T12 Q and didn't like it at all. That speaker is also supposed to be an new old speaker.

Neil

3. corn husk bag

Hi Neil,
    I have 2 of the ribbed vintage P12Q also, probably from the same source. Tried in a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. That speaker also brightened up a Silvertone 1482. Sounds great! But I would like something new and off the shelf so I can quit scrounging for old paper! I am looking forward to this release, and like I said Ron has the ears to develop and follow through with something special.

I got 2 long years to go, they talked me into it!:waiting

Kind Regards,
    Steve

4. neils

neils Member

2 more years huh? So when they retire they buy you an amp? Or do you want the gold watch.

Gold amp?

Neil

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Looks very cool. It's not going to be released for two years? :eek:

6. corn husk bag

Sorry Johnny I was referring to my retirement, 2 years to go! The speaker is supposed to be out in a month or 2 I believe. I got on Rondo's list.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

7. Emiel

Emiel Member

Nice to see that Rondo is working on a P12Q style speaker. I am interested to know how much his speaker will compare to the Weber 12A125A or Signature Alnico S.

8. neils

neils Member

I would guess Rons goal is to build a new reliable speaker with today's materials (surely what was around 50 years ago for construction
    isn't still available) that sounds like the best of the old Jensens. If you have old Jensens you have a yardstick. I'm on the list and really wonder how the A12q will compare with my ribbed 61's. As much as I like my old maybe they aren't even good ones.

It follows how he builds his amp too. Old amps drift. Some in a bad way and some in a good way. So maybe he'll drift the speaker towards that sweet spot the same way he builds sweet drift into his amps.

Neil

9. Emiel

Emiel Member

Neil and Steve, have you tried the Jensen P12Q reissue and the Weber 12A125A/Signature Alnico?

10. neils

neils Member

I had a Jensen P12Q but never when I had the SS chassis, I have a PTP SSpeed Shop Studio Series amp.

I had it when I had a Vic 20112. It was OK, I didn't hate it but the voice of the amp was way more brash and ragged than the SS amp so comparisons are hard.

I had a 12A125A when I had the Li'l Dawg amp and that overlapped the arrival of the SS amp. I liked that speaker in both amps but when I sold the Dawg I left the Jensen in it. They were a good match and I wanted to sell a good amp.

I'm not so interested in how the A12Q sounds compared to the 12A125A but how it sounds in my amp and how it compares to a "real" P12Q".

I assume the A12Q will be compared to the 12A as we all assume one is based off the other. But we don't and my guess won't know just how much is changed to meet Rondo's ear. Ron is, and I'm guessing more interested in the final sound and how to get there than being 100% dead nuts right on "this is how they did it then" since this is now. All my thoughts, not his.

I hope for a demo to at least tease us a bit.

Neil

11. Emiel

Emiel Member

True on that. I have experiences with both the Weber and the Jensen RI, not with an original, hence my question. I hope the AQ12 will be around or close to the price of a 'standard' Weber.

12. corn husk bag

Emiel,
    P12Q re-issue nothing like the vintage ones. No experience with the Weber. I would wait for the SpeedShop A12Q to hit the market. I am sure Ron will come through with something nice as he has had so much experience with the old tweed circuit. One of his go to speakers for his combos is the vintage P12Q. I am looking forward to it.

Steve

Best Regards,
    Steve