New AC30HH clean tones demo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamfist, Mar 22, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

I just put together a new demo of my AC30HH, showing it's clean tones. I don't really play clean, to be honest, but I get a number of requests to do clean tone demos. So, anyway, here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJPqgjz2bl4 . please remember it's on a Les Paul. I don't own a guitar with single coils. :eek:
    For anyone who missed my earlier dirty tones mp3 demo of the same amp, it too is now up on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulfOsnA8N_I .

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Thanks for you kind words GT.
    I agree and I wouldn't buy the amp if I was a mainly clean tones player. I go all fingers and thumbs when I try and play clean. My brain doesn't seem to know quite what to do.
    It's just that in the past I've done loads of demos and I always get folks asking for clean clips of amps, so I suppose I'm just responding to customer demand, as it were.
    As you stated, the amp utterly shines in the mild break up to mild crunch tones. I haven't found anything better, and I've tried quite a few (although surely not as many as a lot of folks on TGP). The dirty tones demo is the style I play mostly, and for that the amp is (possibly) perfect.

3. Sol

Sol Member

Great tones hamfist, is this better that the CC series ,or just different?

4. dave s

dave s Member

Nice tones! Loved your lead tone ... sounded like the guitar on Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" solos!

It's always interesting to hear setups on amps that I own. Mine is the AC15H1TV. Doesn't sound anything like yours! Both different. Both good!

Enjoyed your clip and playing. Thanks for posting!

dave

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

In the UK you can get them for £600.

Well, I spend 99% of my time on the EF86 channel, which the CC doesn't have, of course, so I can't really compare them too much. I haven't spent too much time with a CC, but when I have, I never felt inspired.
    Certainly the TB channel on my Heritage doesn't sound much like I remember the TB channel on a CC sounding. However, the one time I played a CC it was not loud, so no power tube involvement at all. The Heritage is NMV, so, using my Hotplate, I've always got the amp in it's sweet spot. Maybe the TB channel on a CC, with the MV maxxed would sound much the same as my amp, I don't know. I suspect they use the same components for the TB channel in each amp. I'd guess the same transformers too.
    The whole "extra" that the Heritage brings to the party, compared to a CC, is it's EF86 channel, and hopefully slightly improved reliability (not that the CC is terrible, but it's not perfect either).

6. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

You guys are playing Dancing Generation by Matt Redman in the dirty clip...

7. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Very nice man, I've been sitting here with my AC30H2 all day playing my Fender CS Twisted Tele through it, its tonal bliss :love:

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Dang... I heard the dirty clip before and didn't realize you were using the Heritage. My AC15 Heritage Head came and went in 2 hours. I thought the clean settings on the top boost were very solid and there was more than enough power (too much actually for me) in 15 watts. That channel can breakup too and sounds killer, but by then it's LOUD!
    The damn EF86 channel on mine was shot... so after all of that I STILL have not heard a nice EF86 setup in person. Sucks!
    I could have gotten the Vox replaced, but now I'm leaning towards a Hayseed 15 (maybe 30) or another Winfield amp. He makes an AC15 amp EF86 called the Cyclone - if it's even close to the Winfield amp 18/30 Marshall type that I own in quality of sound, I'm all over it.
    Just waiting for my credit card to be reimbursed
    :dude

9. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Great tones, now I want one to go with my Brian May combo. After all of my searching for all things Voxy, I have come to the conclusion that only Vox and Brian May know that tone inside and out. Quality issues of the past aside, only Vox knows the formula inside and out. I would still choose the HW amps like my BM or your head over a CC as I have had WAY too many production amps fail on me and I would not feel comfortable gigging with one.
    FWIW, the 30 and the 15 are WAY different beasts.
    Sounds great!
    Emee

10. hamfist

hamfist Member

Correctamundo !! .... although there's only one of me (thankfully, some might say !). .... it's all just multitracked.

11. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Theres been a bit of contraversy about the handwiredness of these amps too, as someone posted a picture of components onto a PCB board.

However I looked into mine yesterday and it was all on turret boards, albeit the links between the components was on a PCB, but the components were all neatley wired to turrets. Pretty tidy to me :)