New Ace Frehley Album: "Origins, Vol. 1"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by freedom's door, Apr 20, 2016.

1. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I'm generally not a fan of albums that are all-covers, and also when it's a "special guest stars" type of thing. But Ace is my original guitar hero, and one of the guys who i will buy just about anything he releases, so i picked it up.
    Overall, i can't say i'm digging it that much. Having the guest artists didn't add anything iMO (with the exception of Paul Stanley), and i'm not a fan of a lot of these songs to begin with, so i didn't need to hear them covered. It may grow on me as time passes.
    Having said all that, there are a few highlights for me which are:
    1- Fire & Water
    Paul Stanley sings this in a lower register, and is mostly singing instead of shouting, and i think he sounds great. Ace's solo really captures the spirit of Kossof.
    2- Bring It On Home
    Not a huge fan of the Zep original, but Ace does a cool job with this one, and gives it a bit of a twist.
    3- Rock and Roll Hell
    I've loved this song since Creatures Of The Night was first released, and hearing Ace put his spin on it was an awesome surprise. Great solo, and the highlight of the album for me.

It was cool to hear Ace re-do Parasite and Cold Gin, but i think they would have been better without the guest guitarists, and if Ace had come up with new solos for them. If and when he does another covers album, i hope he does Strange Ways and Getaway!

scr@tchy, BKL71 and fishruss like this.
  2. Boston617

Boston617 Member

I liked the White Room cover. I also liked his Fox on the Run cover from Anomaly.

3. Flash 442

Flash 442 Member

what no link?
    talked to ace a few times in a local bar...nice guy
    used to take out his Daughter's Softball team for a post game meal

4. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Thanks for the heads up. It is already on Youtube:

59Vampire and fishruss like this.
  5. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

Saw Ace live last Friday night. He sounded really good. Played Emerald and it was pretty good.

6. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Ace has a signature guitar sound and he has written some classic songs. He was my first guitar god.

Never liked his vocals.

fishruss likes this.
  7. Bankston

Bankston Member

I need to pick this one up. We opened for Ace last month and he put on a great show. The coolest thing was that Richie Scarlet, who's friends with our singer, wore our shirt on-stage. Thought it was a nice gesture for that show.

[​IMG]

Then he wore it again at another show in Clearwater:

Bobby D, Fatboy666 and fishruss like this.
  8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I like this album a lot. I think it's Ace' best playing since his '78 solo LP.

mfranzdorf likes this.
  9. fishruss

fishruss Member

Thanks for the review! I forgot to pick this one up. He's still the coolest guy to ever be in Kiss.

Custom50 and freedom's door like this.
  10. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

After a few more listens, i'm digging it a bit more. I do think he should've skipped Wild Thing, and picked a different Hendrix tune to cover...

11. BKL71

BKL71 Member

I just picked this album up last night and was listening to it in my car during my commute to work. I think that freedom's door's review was spot-on. I thought the cover of Wild Thing was a bit unnecessary, and I thought Till The End Of The Day sounded clumsy. Other than that, I liked the album. Ace's guitar sounds like it grew an extra set of cojones on this album.

freedom's door likes this.
  12. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Congrats to you! That is sooo cool

13. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

The Joker from Space Invader, however, was horrific.

Unlike the OP I tend to like these types of albums (GnR's The Spaghetti Incident, Tesla's Real to Reel, Def Leppard's Yeah, all good IMO). I like this one was well. Not digging the snare sound but the guitar tones and solos are nice and aggressive.

14. Bankston

Bankston Member

Thanks, man. Couple of quick stories about that show, we were direct support because we outsold the other bands on the bill. There's another band here in town that opens for a lot of nationals and they have been on the scene a long time. They are a great, tight, totally pro unit and we're friends with them. But they were not happy about the situation because their agent told them they were hired as direct support. The stage manager told those guys, sorry, but the club assigns slots fair and square. Whichever local support band sells the most tickets gets the direct support slot.

Because we were direct support, we were invited for a quick meet and greet with Ace. My wife and I were at the bar when we got called into the green room. So I'm hurrying over to the door and I tell my wife to wait a second because usually only the band gets to go in. I get in the room and see that my singer's girlfriend and my drummer's son are in there. I start to turn around to grab my wife and one of Ace's handlers closes the door. Then they start bitching at us about bringing in extra people. Ace is laughing his ass off and just poses for a couple of quick pictures with us.

So my wife sees the pics and it hurts her feelings that the singer's GF got in the pic. I was in the doghouse for a couple of days over that one. Sometimes trying to do the right thing can bite you in the a$$!

Here's a clip from that show with Ace's backline behind my amp:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  15. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I'm a big Ace fan so I'll have to check this one out.

16. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I like this. Favorites so far are the Slash/Ace jamming in Emerald, and the Free cover with Paul Stanley.

17. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Thanks for highlighting this - I'll have to give it a listen. Alive was an inspirational album for me. It was the first LP (and a double at that) that I ever purchased -- and it remains in my iPod rotation to this day.

As an aside, I was YouTubing Ace and watching some of his playing. His right hand technique looks awful -- I am surprised that his playing and his hand have survived so many years like that. Seriously, it looks like that technique could have caused some crippling or paralysis over all these years. Well.... everybody's got their own style - so good for him!

18. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

I haven't yet heard the entire album, but I have listened to Fire and Water several times. I think Paul Stanley does a nice job on it, but it ain't anywhere in the vicinity of Paul Rodgers. Sorry, it just isn't. A nice arrangement, good production, but the sparseness of Kassoff's playing is ignored and over produced on this. It doesn't sound bad, but it lost something from the good-ol-analog days. I am admittedly a very big Free/Bad Co/Paul Rodgers fan, so I'm a bit biased. I should add that I was a big Kiss fan back in the beginning, too, so it's not anti-Kiss bias.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  19. DooMooD

DooMooD Member

This album sounds pretty awesome to me. I love a well performed cover, and loathe a poorly perfomed one.

An all cover album has the potential to be a trainwreck if not done properly. Ace sounds fabulous both behind the guitar and the mic. His guitar tone is especially tasty.

Bring on Origins Vol. 2, 3, 4... Etc, etc.

20. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I bought this on vinyl, not really knowing what to expect. I thought the whole thing was cool and Ace sounded great.