New acoustic puchase: And the winner is ...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by dave s, Oct 14, 2006.

1. dave s

dave s Member

First off, thanks for the help and recommendations. Much easier to narrow the list of prospects with the experience here at TGP. And the winner is ...

The Breedlove AD25. :AOK

[​IMG]

Nice top for a lower-end A/E!

[​IMG]

Tuners are smooth as silk and the guitar tunes up perfectly by ear. Haven't even used the tuner on it yet!

[​IMG]

Pretty much standard issue electronics. The guitar's tone really shines in 'plugged-in' mode. Not real bright and snappy but good full and sounds like an acoustic ... just amplified. The tortise shell binding is kind of odd, but I'll get used to it! :D

[​IMG]

The string through bridge was an extra selling feature for me. I know this setup might might not be as effective as bridge pins, but will certainly prove a bonus for me during a string change. Ideas like this just make 'good sense' to me.

dave

2. Antz_Marchin

Antz_Marchin Member

Nice choice, hands down in that bunch would be the Breedlove for me too. I'm a huge Taylor fan but they aren't Taylors until you get to the 314. The 100/200 are just affordable marketing with "Taylor" on the headstock. And to boot that is a sweet freaking price. Nice job :D

3. dave s

dave s Member

Thanks Antz. Can't wait to get the new a/e on stage and hear how it sounds! It plays GREAT the more I play it.

dave

4. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Enjoy the Breedlove and play well! :AOK

5. jowille

jowille Member

I haven't tried the Breedlove, but my Taylor 110E does not suck!

6. dave s

dave s Member

Thanks Ken. First acoustic ever in the fleet. I hope acoustics don't become another source of GAS! :messedup

dave

7. dave s

dave s Member

Different guitars, that's for sure. No, the Taylor did not suck at all. It sounded like a Taylor unplugged. When I plugged it in and compared it to the Breedlove is where the Breedlove won out.

Do you run yours through an amp or unplugged all the time?

dave

8. Antz_Marchin

Antz_Marchin Member

Oh Dave, Dave, Dave........... are you ever in for a surprise. I'm currently trying to sell a kidney and my left nut to alleviate some GAS pain. :jo

9. burning blue

burning blue Member

How much was the Seagull s6 priced at? I'm looking at getting one myself.
    Andrew

10. giventofly

giventofly Member

Nice pickup with the breedlove. Although i am fond of the taylor sound and have never really been able to get around the neck binding on the lower end breedloves. Let us know how it plays

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Breedlove makes some nice stuff.

12. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

Breedlove is such a great company... and they make fantastic stuff. Hope you enjoy it!

13. gapple88

gapple88 Member

14. dave s

dave s Member

The Seagull was at a local dealer (search Woodsy's Music in google) and they have a fleet of the Seagulls in stock. The one I played (S6) had a sell price of $659. It's probably still there, played great, but I liked the slightly duller and fuller tone of the Breedlove.

dave

15. dave s

dave s Member

Good idea! I'll take and post some pics tonight. Imagine my surprise when the sales lady said the guitar had only been on the wall for 4 days. The only paw prints on the guitar were mine at time of purchase.

dave

16. dave s

dave s Member

Thanks Micheal. Clear 'winners' always jump out when you compare 3 or 4 choices at the same price point. This time it was the Breedlove. Hands down.

dave

17. dave s

dave s Member

OUCH!!! Ok, I'll bite ... how much did you get for the kidney and left nut? :)

dave

18. dave s

dave s Member

So far so good on the playing side of things. I'm getting used to the neck carve ok.

The body binding is like a plastic tort shell material. It is strange, but unique. Nice idea. The kind some will love and others will ... you know!

dave

19. dave s

dave s Member

Thank R9. For the first time around, I'm thrilled with the bang-for-buck, overall playability and sound of the guitar. Definite 'good value' piece for a newbie to the acoustic world. Shame ... 30+ years of playing and performing and never owned a guitar with a big hole in the middle the body. :confused:

dave

20. jowille

jowille Member

I run unplugged and thru my line 6 pod xt live. Granted, the patches run on the POD can "taylor" the sound quite a bit, but it's decent sounding. Sure there are better acoustics (solid wood, etc) out there, but for me, the price point of the 100e was the seller!